Wife robbed at gunpoint today- HEB in Friendswood

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Running Arrow Bill
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Wife robbed at gunpoint today- HEB in Friendswood

Post by Running Arrow Bill »

Very glad the wife "escaped" without any injury!!

Since I got my CHL about 10 years ago, I have been a much better driver, awareness of my environment, and have learned a lot from the various gun forum sites! Thanks for everyone sharing their information.

I carry...daily...

My situational awareness increases by the day. I faithfully scan my environment before, during, and after my entry into the "environment". Even in our small ranching town out West, we do have our share of BG's, druggies, and others. Our LEO's are very active in arrests...from misdemeanors to felonies. There is no place "ultimately safe"...bad guys go where the easy prey is...lol.

A few more hints: When I am parking in a lot I always look at the "type" of vehicles there and try to park next to a "non-condition red vehicle (whatever that is...)" Also park close to entrance of a store...more people around and "less" of a chance of being picked off as the "last sheep in the herd"... Never park next to someone sitting in their vehicle...even when in the Doctor's parking lot. Religiously scan my environment constantly. When at home or in our office I always use the LEO technique of standing next to the wall and opening door in case someone is waiting outside by the door...BG's initially shoot through the door (or someone coming out the door). We have both several positional alarms and video survellance at our ranch so we always know when and where a BG (or a stray livestock) comes in.

All I can think of now...

Y'all be safe out there now, ya hear!

RAB
Running Arrow Farm, LLC
Wellington, TX. 79095
longhorncattle2013@gmail.ocom
Registered Texas Longhorn Cattle

Barbi Q
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Barbi Q »

seamusTX wrote:Welcome to the forum, Barbi Q.

What are your favorite handgun, load, and holster, if you don't mind sharing the information?

- Jim
Hi Jim.

My favorite handgun and load is my Ruger 22 with CCI minimags. Range gun so no holster.

I usually carry a S&W 642 loaded with Hornady critical defense ammo in a tuckable AIWB holster. The holster was a gift from my dad when I got my license. I don't know who made it.
If anyone is raped, beaten or murdered on a college campus from this day forward
The senators who blocked SB 354 from being considered on 4/7/11 and
The members of the house calendar committee who haven't scheduled HB 750
Have the victims' blood on their hands.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 18

Post by seamusTX »

Thanks.

Come to think of it, I'm quite fond of my Dan Wesson .22 revolver, approximately 30 years old, slowly becoming an irreplaceable antique (as am I). My wife also lets me shoot her Buck Mark.

- Jim

Topic author
mrvmax
Posts in topic: 9

Post by mrvmax »

remington79 wrote:I'm glad to hear that she's ok. I hope everything is starting to settle down a bit at home.
[quoteAlthough I am a Christian, I have no problem defending my family with my firearm to ensure their safety.]
Just one thing, being Christian doesn't mean being weak or passive.[/quote]
Just wanted to make sure my earlier posts were not misunderstood. I am a Christian, but not a Christian passifist.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Oldgringo »

Barbi Q wrote:
Oldgringo wrote::read: What is the topic? :rules:
Tactical shopping.
Got 'cha. I was beginning to think the topic had wandered over to"studliness" or something...and I didn't want to be left out. :cool:

Grammy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Grammy »

Oldgringo wrote:
Barbi Q wrote:
Oldgringo wrote::read: What is the topic? :rules:
Tactical shopping.
Got 'cha. I was beginning to think the topic had wandered over to"studliness" or something...and I didn't want to be left out. :cool:
Thats funny, I don't care who you are...
Jim
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always depend on the support of Paul.

bh28

Post by bh28 »

I took my 2nd TX CHL class from Tom Estep a few years back along with 2 employees and a friend.I had obtained a TX CHL from when I lived in Dallas a few years ago and one from Florida when I was there. Tom is very knowledgeable and he did emphasize being aware of what's beyond your intended target. He also emphasized not to think every situation is a shooting situation. However, rather than try to go through all the agonizing over whether it's a good idea to shoot at the time it happens - should you plan in advance? Like, "What will I do if ..." : 1) someone breaks into my house at night while I'm asleep (happened in Dallas- early 80's) 2) someone is pushy asking for change? (depends on how close and how pushy and if they are asking with a knife in one hand - New Orleans in the early 90's) 3) An obviously freaked out Heroin addict charges me with a hypodermic needle dripping blood in a subway station (Frankfurt, Germany - 1991 but ooops, no guns allowed) 4) a robbery happens right in front of me (Houston - at a bank 4 years ago) 5) Tonight when I lock up and head to my car in the dark parking lot in SE Houston and ... who knows what???
What would you have done?
What should someone else do?
Those that believe that men can live in security and safety when deprived of the means to defend themselves are afflicted with a particularly dangerous delusion which is often only curable by the most drastic of measures.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

WildBill wrote:If I have more than one bag, I always use a cart to carry my stuff from the store to my car.
Another advantage of living in a small town; at HEB, if I have more than 2-3 bags and/or the baby with me, the bagger always offers to get someone to help.

I generally just have them wait while I strap the baby in, then grab all the bags out of the cart and let them take the cart back.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I think I accidentally deleted someone post instead of my own. Sorry, whoever you are.

Chas.

Yankee Girl

Post by Yankee Girl »

KD5NRH wrote:Another advantage of living in a small town; at HEB, if I have more than 2-3 bags and/or the baby with me, the bagger always offers to get someone to help.
This HEB (I shop there at least twice a week), the folks always offer to do the same. I've always said no thank you, as I'm perfectly capable of managing the groceries, but now I wonder ... would an extra person make me less of an opportunity, or would I be putting some teenager in jeopardy by agreeing to the help ...
Courage is just Fear that has said its prayers -
-- Maya Angelou

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Less of an opportunity. Parking lot thieves are generally looking for the easiest target possible.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

surfTX

Post by surfTX »

I worked at that HEB for about 5 years, and shop at that Wal-Mart once or twice a week. A good wake up call that these kinds of things really can happen anywhere. It's kind of ironic, Any time my wife (no CHL) has to do the shopping solo, she goes north up Hwy 45 to the avoid the wonderful La Marque Wal-Mart. The area North is "nicer" and more affluent which of course is always safer.... ie Friendswood HEB. Not to take away from what im sure was a very tramatic experience, im glad everyone in both instances came out ok. Glad to know there are so many CHL's out there.....im sure its been mentioned elsewhere, there's also the Dallas CHL'er that was able to defend himself

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 83e60.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yankee Girl

Post by Yankee Girl »

Did you see where they arrested three guys for this?

http://www.groupbuilder.net/uploads/Cit ... Arrest.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Courage is just Fear that has said its prayers -
-- Maya Angelou

WildBill
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WildBill »

Yankee Girl wrote:Did you see where they arrested three guys for this?

http://www.groupbuilder.net/uploads/Cit ... Arrest.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's good news. The end of one crime spree.
NRA Endowment Member

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Oldgringo »

Yankee Girl wrote:
KD5NRH wrote:Another advantage of living in a small town; at HEB, if I have more than 2-3 bags and/or the baby with me, the bagger always offers to get someone to help.
This HEB (I shop there at least twice a week), the folks always offer to do the same. I've always said no thank you, as I'm perfectly capable of managing the groceries, but now I wonder ... would an extra person make me less of an opportunity, or would I be putting some teenager in jeopardy by agreeing to the help ...
You are the customer and HEB, and any other merchant, owes their customers reasonable security while on their premises. The merchants' teenage employees are not your concern, they are the merchants' concern.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”