Breaking: Officer and Two Others Shot in Richardson

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 12

Breaking: Officer and Two Others Shot in Richardson

Post by Keith B »

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Officer- ... 84204.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At the Arapaho DART rail station.

I heard a lot of sirens about 20 minutes ago, must have been where they were all headed.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Keith B

Re: Breaking: Officer and Two Others Shot in Richardson

Post by Keith B »

Apparently a DART officer was shot in the shoulder, but the injury was not life threatening. Word now is the shooter ran into a nearby business and shot himself in the head. No word on his condition.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Dave2
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dave2 »

Geez... A good friend of mine goes through there with his wife and son all the time.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

rwg3

Post by rwg3 »

It appears that two other bystanders were hit, before the BG went running into the Vent-A-Hood factory and killing himself. Not sure if bystanders were hit by BG or Dart officers in gun battle.
"Moderation is the silken string running through the pearl-chain of all virtues", Thomas Fuller

knotquiteawake
Posts in topic: 2

Post by knotquiteawake »

The media has been totally quiet about the Dart Officer and if she returned fire or not, not even asking the question.

Two years ago we rode the DART rail from Plano to the State Fair and this was before I had my CHL. That trip (especially the ride home at night) definitely added weight to my desire to get my CHL. This last year we went the same way to the fair and I felt much more comfortable with a much better means to protect myself and my pregnant wife.

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

One of the bystanders that was struck died last night. Word is the DART officer did return fire. Sad situation, but I do hope that the bystanders were struck by the BG's bullets and not friendly fire. Prayers for the families of those injured and killed.
Keith

n5wd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by n5wd »

From the Snooze article this morning:
DART officials, meanwhile, defended the transit agency’s safety record despite this and other recent acts of violence.

“I don’t really know what can be done; you have a right to carry in the state of Texas,” spokesman Mark Ball told KTVT-TV (Channel 11). “If there is anything in the future that we can possibly do, we’ll do it.”
Yeah, right. Besides - there's been no mention of whether the BG had a CHL or not. Methinks Mr. Ball speaks not of which he knows.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

n5wd wrote:From the Snooze article this morning:
DART officials, meanwhile, defended the transit agency’s safety record despite this and other recent acts of violence.

“I don’t really know what can be done; you have a right to carry in the state of Texas,” spokesman Mark Ball told KTVT-TV (Channel 11). “If there is anything in the future that we can possibly do, we’ll do it.”
Yeah, right. Besides - there's been no mention of whether the BG had a CHL or not. Methinks Mr. Ball speaks not of which he knows.
I do hope that is the case, and that the individual was not a CHL holder, but media relation folks for corporations usually have the inside track when their company is involved with police investigations.
Keith

Itnkrman

Post by Itnkrman »

Keith B wrote:One of the bystanders that was struck died last night. Word is the DART officer did return fire. Sad situation, but I do hope that the bystanders were struck by the BG's bullets and not friendly fire. Prayers for the families of those injured and killed.
:iagree:
Ruger SR9c
Taurus PT640 Pro
Bersa 380
Stevens 20ga.

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

I caught a little bit of this on the news late last night, there was a followup discussion in the newsroom (Fox 4) with a Dallas City Council member about this....the gist of it was "we need to protect citizens at whatever cost....we can't have guns on DART, etc....I'm in favor of doing whatever possible to assure citizens of this....."

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

PUCKER wrote:I caught a little bit of this on the news late last night, there was a followup discussion in the newsroom (Fox 4) with a Dallas City Council member about this....the gist of it was "we need to protect citizens at whatever cost....we can't have guns on DART, etc....I'm in favor of doing whatever possible to assure citizens of this....."
I think we all know there are no sentient beings on the DCC.
Perhaps someone should suggest a law requiring a permit to carry a weapon. That would surely have prevented this tragedy. :roll:
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

PUCKER wrote:I caught a little bit of this on the news late last night, there was a followup discussion in the newsroom (Fox 4) with a Dallas City Council member about this....the gist of it was "we need to protect citizens at whatever cost....we can't have guns on DART, etc....I'm in favor of doing whatever possible to assure citizens of this....."
Not sure that can happen for CHL's as DART is funded by member cities and sale tax levies. Would have to put something into the state statutes like Missouri has that says you can't ride a bus and carry. :banghead:
Keith

MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

This was Dwaine Caraway, who also said last night that we need a cop on every bus or train and TSA-style security to ensure no guns are taken on DART lines. Of course, he would probably give the thug a key to the city while punishing the law-abiding citizen.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

MasterOfNone wrote:
This was Dwaine Caraway, who also said last night that we need a cop on every bus or train and TSA-style security to ensure no guns are taken on DART lines. Of course, he would probably give the thug a key to the city while punishing the law-abiding citizen.
Yeah, this is typical aftermath lip service by politicians. They will beat their chest and tell everyone what they think they want to hear, then quietly fade out of the picture once things cool down and everyone moves on to the next crisis.
Keith

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

UPDATE: Shooter has been identified as 27 year old Cory Lamar Jones. Per the article here http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Bystan ... 47704.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it states:
In 2002, Jones (pictured left) pleaded guilty to assault causing bodily injury to a family member, a Class A misdemeanor. He was sent to jail for 45 days according to police records.

In 2005, Jones was arrested for assault on a public servant, he pleaded guilty to the third degree felony in a McKinney court. Public records show Jones paid $324 in court costs and was on probation for 3 years and 6 months.
With either conviciton, he would not be qualified for a CHL, so that covers if he was licensed or not.
Keith

Return to “The Crime Blotter”