Coworkers CHL brother stops armed robbery

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

74novaman
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Coworkers CHL brother stops armed robbery

Post by 74novaman »

AndyC wrote:
“The gun was broken and rusty and wasn't loaded.
Big boys' games, big boys' rules, dummy - bluffing hurts :lol:
Yep! I'm always amazed at violent criminals sense of shock when someone else is willing to be violent in response.
TANSTAAFL

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jimlongley »

barstoolguru wrote:
Hours after his release from the hospital, Henderson, who talked about the pain he feels in his buttock and hip, said the plan was to “barge in, get the money and leave.” He said “he never expected anyone to be armed.”[/quote]
“The gun was broken and rusty and wasn't loaded. Nobody was going to get hurt,” he said, standing with crutches.

quote of the day
Nobody was going to get hurt? If nobody was going to get hurt, no need to carry ANY gun, no need to scare people (which, BTW, hurts), to threaten people, to even be there.

Idiot! :mad5
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Ed4032

Post by Ed4032 »

Hey he was just trying to make a living. How can he support his family if he can't rob people. Just because he looks like Obama's son doesn't mean he get Obama money.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

After watching the video it shows how ineffective a mouse gun really is. Fortunatly the thugs were not able to shoot back which may be the sole reason they scrambled out of the place. If one is going to get in a confrontation with the possibility of exchanging gunfire I would highly suggest a caliber that will stop the threat, kudos to the CHL holder for refusing to be a victim, next time use something that will stop them on the spot, seems like he had a bit of luck on his side................
Salty1

philip964

Post by philip964 »

To me the DA should arrest the old guy for assault with a deadly weapon. From the video he obviously fired at least two shots after he was no longer in fear for his life. The last shot he fired as the man was scrambling away on the ground was clearly illegal. Thank goodness for video, without it we would have thought that this guy was a hero. ;-)

Any jury in California would find him guilty without question.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPB »

philip964 wrote:To me the DA should arrest the old guy for assault with a deadly weapon. From the video he obviously fired at least two shots after he was no longer in fear for his life. The last shot he fired as the man was scrambling away on the ground was clearly illegal. Thank goodness for video, without it we would have thought that this guy was a hero. ;-)

Any jury in California would find him guilty without question.
Perhaps in Florida/California, maybe in Texas, depends ... but did the scrambler fellow 1) return the property he took yet? 2) still possess a gun which was a threat? Even scrambling on the ground a person with a gun can shoot people.

Texas:
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... m/PE.9.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY.
Sec. 9.33. DEFENSE OF THIRD PERSON.
Sec. 9.32. DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON.
B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Blindref757

Post by Blindref757 »

1. Glad I don't live in California if a jury would find this man guilty of anything.
2. Being that the Zimmerman case is so screwed up right now, it might be best that these bad guys lived and that there is video of what CC is for and how it is properly used.
3. A .380 just went off my list. I have long entertained the idea of pocket carry with a .380 Bodyguard or LCR. Not anymore.
4. The bonds for the BG's are insanely low IMHO...30K for the gun toter and 11K for the bat toter. They will be back on the street by Labor Day.

barstoolguru
Posts in topic: 6

Post by barstoolguru »

The bonds for the BG's are insanely low IMHO...30K for the gun toter and 11K for the bat toter. They will be back on the street by Labor Day.
one of them is already out on bond
Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"......George Will

Keith B
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Keith B »

Blindref757 wrote:3. A .380 just went off my list. I have long entertained the idea of pocket carry with a .380 Bodyguard or LCR. Not anymore.
While I am not personally a fan of the .380, it still can be an effective round. The bullet diameter is the same as a 9mm/.38 special, just not as much powder behind it to help with penetration.

In this case, with the locations these guys were hit on their bodies (hip, buttocks and shoulder if I remember correctly), depending on the angle of entry, it is extremely likely that shots from a 9mm/.38 special, .40 or even .45 would have been very survivable and not stopped them in their tracks.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
kyreb

Post by kyreb »

While I was not there and I thank God I have never had to personally fire a shot in anger........ I had some questions.....Although no question I think he did a great job!
Here in Houston, I run around in shorts and a tee shirt most of the time. Dressed as such, I find myself with a .380 loaded with PowerBall in my pocket holstered much of the time. On that basis, I could not help but wonder what I might have done if caught under similar circumstances.

My "concerns" were centered on the fact that I have shot the snot out of my .380. Plenty enough rounds downrange to know it is not easy to manage one well, let alone shoot one on the move against moving targets. ( something I now plan to drill on.) I did notice that he seemed to rack the slide so he was probably carrying on a empty chamber ( I carry with a round chambered.) I also think he shot it dry and did not reload. ( no extra mags one might assume) Something else to address on my part.

Bottom line he got the job done and I was happy to see how things turned out. The guy has some serious stones. I picked up a few more details I need to consider.
NRA Endowment Member
Unrepentant Hobbyist

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RHenriksen »

kyreb wrote:Here in Houston, I run around in shorts and a tee shirt most of the time. Dressed as such, I find myself with a .380 loaded with PowerBall in my pocket holstered much of the time.
I also wear a t shirt & (cargo) shorts frequently. But the shorts have belt loops, and I wear a gun belt, IWB holster, and either an 8 round 9mm or a 16 round .40 caliber.

Nothing about shorts & a tshirt requires you to carry just a mouse gun!
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

RHenriksen wrote:
kyreb wrote:Here in Houston, I run around in shorts and a tee shirt most of the time. Dressed as such, I find myself with a .380 loaded with PowerBall in my pocket holstered much of the time.
I also wear a t shirt & (cargo) shorts frequently. But the shorts have belt loops, and I wear a gun belt, IWB holster, and either an 8 round 9mm or a 16 round .40 caliber.

:iagree: Never lived in Houston, but College Station was pretty hot and humid, and Temple isn't much cooler.

My usual dress is cargo shorts and an XL t shrit (One size larger than is really necessary). With that style of dress, I can easily conceal a Glock 19 or 5" 1911 in either IWB or OWB holsters with zero problems.
TANSTAAFL

doc540

Post by doc540 »

kyreb wrote:I also think he shot it dry and did not reload. ( no extra mags one might assume) Something else to address on my part.
Yes, plenty in that video to consider.

But notice at the very end how he looks down at his gun.

The slide's not locked back.

Hmmmmm.........
http://www.train2shoot.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Instructor
"Shooting more, typing less"

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

RHenriksen wrote:

At the moment, I'm in Elastic waist/drawstring knit shorts WalMart sells as sleeping shorts I believe) , no belt and wearing a Taurus PT709 9mm (though there are lighter weight 9mms) IWB in a single clip all Kydex holster. My 380s in the safe weigh as much or more probably ... a SMALL NAA Guardian 380(Capacity: 6 Rounds Caliber: .380 ACP Weight: 18.72 ounces) weighs much more than a polymer 9mm like a DB9 (12.7 ounces with an empty magazine in place,) or PF9 (12.7 oz by itself, or rather 14.6 ounces empty, including the magazine).
Last edited by RPB on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Jumping Frog wrote:Too bad he wasn't carrying a .45 . . .
Well let's see what can a .45 do that a .380 didn't? A shot to the buttocks or leg with either caliber will produce similar results. I say it's a shame he HAD to do what he had to do.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Return to “The Crime Blotter”