More armed and unarmed violence in gun free New York

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Re: More armed and unarmed violence in gun free New York

Post by Pawpaw »

Many crimes are "Gibs me dat!" crimes.

"Excuse me Sir, that's my money in your pocket." :mad5
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jusme »

TreyHouston wrote:But don't forget Dallas shootings! New Black Panther and BLM members "wanted to shoot WHITE cops", NOT a HATE CRIME, just a deranged person..... It sickens me....

Yes in the politically correct dictionary Hate is a one way street and can only be labeled against certain groups.

:banghead:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

TreyHouston wrote:But don't forget Dallas shootings! New Black Panther and BLM members "wanted to shoot WHITE cops", NOT a HATE CRIME, just a deranged person..... It sickens me....
It is not a hate crime. We don't have hate crimes in Texas. A crime is a crime. No need to differentiate.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 93

Post by philip964 »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/veiled-briti ... 14109.html

Man setting Muslim womans clothing on fire was not a hate attack.

You see this is New York, where honest citizens are defenseless. Therefore setting a woman's clothing on fire is just one of those things you do in New York if your a bad guy. Two other women, who were not Muslim had their clothing set on fire in the same area the same day.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Maybe there is just a civic-minded individual out there doing this to demonstrate that the women's clothing is much too flammable and they should be making wiser choices.

:roll:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/NY ... 07811.html

Thieves are targeting the elderly in NYC with punch attack robberies.

Probably not the utopia that people envisioned when guns were outlawed and morality was banned from the schools.

Maybe it was a hate crime. Thieves hate not having your money.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /90432982/

Police officer attacked with meat cleaver. He is hurt pretty bad. He was hit in the face. He was off duty and stepped in to help two of his fellow officers. Unfortunately the BG survived. 18 rounds fired. Hit several times.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/NY ... 11721.html

Apparently many in New York conceal carry hatchets and meat cleavers.

Smokey613
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Smokey613 »

philip964 wrote:http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /90432982/

Police officer attacked with meat cleaver. He is hurt pretty bad. He was hit in the face. He was off duty and stepped in to help two of his fellow officers. Unfortunately the BG survived. 18 rounds fired. Hit several times.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/NY ... 11721.html

Apparently many in New York conceal carry hatchets and meat cleavers.
Time to ban meat cleavers and hatchets !! :banghead:
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Based on the thread title, I'm a bit confused. Every crime rate calculator I look at shows Houston, TX has nearly twice the violent crime rate per 100k as NYC, and NYC has 4 times the population of Houston. What am I missing? :???:

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

We need more open carry in Houston! ;-)
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

G26ster wrote:Based on the thread title, I'm a bit confused. Every crime rate calculator I look at shows Houston, TX has nearly twice the violent crime rate per 100k as NYC, and NYC has 4 times the population of Houston. What am I missing? :???:
Total crimes and crime rate are different concepts.

Total crimes is the total number of crimes reported. Crime rate is the number of crimes per 100,000 persons in a given population.

Both numbers are influenced by the rate at which crimes are reported (in many rough neighborhoods where people have little confidence many crimes will be investigated or solved, they report in low numbers) and the consistency with which they are categorized by the local law enforcement agency.

These and other factors are why the FBI cautions not to use the UCR statistics as direct comparisons between cities.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Excaliber wrote:
G26ster wrote:Based on the thread title, I'm a bit confused. Every crime rate calculator I look at shows Houston, TX has nearly twice the violent crime rate per 100k as NYC, and NYC has 4 times the population of Houston. What am I missing? :???:

Total crimes is the total number of crimes reported. Crime rate is the number of crimes per 100,000 persons in a given population.

Both numbers are influenced by the rate at which crimes are reported (in many rough neighborhoods where people have little confidence many crimes will be investigated or solved, they report in low numbers) and the consistency with which they are categorized by the local law enforcement agency.

These and other factors are why the FBI cautions not to use the UCR statistics as direct comparisons between cities.
So what is the basis (reliable statistics) for deciding/saying that NYC has a higher crime rate than Houston, or any other city?
Excaliber wrote:(in many rough neighborhoods where people have little confidence many crimes will be investigated or solved, they report in low numbers)
Wouldn't this be true for both NYC and Houston?

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

G26ster wrote:
Excaliber wrote:

So what is the basis (reliable statistics) for deciding/saying that NYC has a higher crime rate than Houston, or any other city?
Excaliber wrote:(in many rough neighborhoods where people have little confidence many crimes will be investigated or solved, they report in low numbers)
Wouldn't this be true for both NYC and Houston?
There is no single statistical source for making a valid direct comparison between cities, and it is indeed possible that Houston has a crime rate similar to NYC, although there would be no comparison using total number of crimes - NYC would be far and away much higher. And yes, the tendency to underreport crimes in high crime areas is true virtually everywhere.

The rates for the 7 crimes tracked by the FBI in their UCR reports are not even across the board. For example, two cities could have an identical rate of total crimes per 100K population, but one of those might have an extremely high larceny rate but a very low homicide rate, and the other city the exact opposite. The nature of the crimes above the national average rates is important in assessing relative safety.

There are other factors in play as well, and risk managers often use more refined tools than the UCR to look at the risk of background crime in a given area. One of the most prominent of these is the CrimeCast report prepared for specific locations. In addition to reported crimes, it takes into account demographics, income levels, insurance company loss statistics, and victimization surveys of unreported crimes to deliver an assessment of crime risk (likelihood and impact) in a given area broken down by census tract. It is much more useful for understanding relative risk than the raw UCR statistics.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/03/02 ... apes-2019/

Murders and rapes soar in first two months of 2019 in New York City.

51 murders in New York City through Feb 24.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://nypost.com/2019/03/14/neighbors ... rank-cali/

Gambino Boss gunned down and run over out side his house.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”