School zone arrest

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 8

Re: School zone arrest

Post by cb1000rider »

It's interesting. A school zone (new school) is about to sit between the means into and out of a community where I live. It'll mean that we're looking at least 50k people going through that area (at least) per year.. Likely many more.
A assume active/inactive school zone makes no difference?

VoiceofReason
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by VoiceofReason »

Is it illegal to drive on the street in a school zone with a gun in the car? :headscratch

Parked on the street?

Live across the street from a school and have a gun in your house?

I know these questions are getting stupid but it sounds like the law is stupid. :roll:
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

VoiceofReason wrote:Is it illegal to drive on the street in a school zone with a gun in the car? :headscratch

Parked on the street?

I know these questions are getting stupid but it sounds like the law is stupid. :roll:
It's not illegal to have a gun on your private property even if it is spitting distance from the school.
"(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;"
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

jmra wrote:
VoiceofReason wrote:Is it illegal to drive on the street in a school zone with a gun in the car? :headscratch

Parked on the street?

It's not illegal to have a gun on your private property even if it is spitting distance from the school.
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;"
But then, if you live across from a school you could never enter or leave your house with a firearm without violating the law. Buy a new rifle, take it home, you're a criminal. Go to the range, you're a criminal. It is actually just about impossible to travel anywhere in Texas without violating this law. Especially where there is only one thru road going through a small town with a school. In fact, there are some major roads where a school sits right off the highway, no town, and no other way to get from A to B. Alt-90 between Hallettsville and Eagle Lake comes to mind.
Last edited by VMI77 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Keith B
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Keith B »

VMI77 wrote:But then, if you live across from a school you could never enter or leave your house with a firearm without violating the law. Buy a new rifle, take it home, you're a criminal. Go to the range, you're a criminal.
Nope.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(iii) that is— (I) not loaded; and (II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;

(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;

(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or

(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Keith B wrote:
VMI77 wrote:But then, if you live across from a school you could never enter or leave your house with a firearm without violating the law. Buy a new rifle, take it home, you're a criminal. Go to the range, you're a criminal.
Nope.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(iii) that is— (I) not loaded; and (II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;

(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;

(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.
So does a CHL cover possession of a rifle or a shotgun, not unloaded or in a locked container, or to be legal, do CHL holders have to carry rifles and shotguns in locked containers?
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

CHL=Concealed HANDGUN License
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Keith B wrote:CHL=Concealed HANDGUN License
That's what I thought.....that having a rifle or shotgun in our cars that isn't locked in a container makes us criminals.....just wanted to be sure of where I stood.

mlawler

Post by mlawler »

Never give probable cause or verbal premission to search! Assert your 4th Amendment rights!

stroo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stroo »

This doesn't help if you are carrying under MPA or if you keep a long gun in your car:

(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities."

Amonix

Post by Amonix »

You know I was curious about the whole school zone thing. My CHL instructor explained to us that we were allowed to keep our weapons in the car passing the school. However we were unable to take our weapons into the school if we were going to pick up our kids or doing any business on the school. My curiosity was because I (as I have not received my CHL yet everything stays home until I go to the range) live 5 houses away from a high school. I plan to travel that way going to and from work (fastest way).
Amonix
CompTIA A+ Certified Professionaln
CIW Certified Web Foundations Associate
[Changing the world one byte at a time]

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

Amonix wrote:You know I was curious about the whole school zone thing. My CHL instructor explained to us that we were allowed to keep our weapons in the car passing the school. However we were unable to take our weapons into the school if we were going to pick up our kids or doing any business on the school. My curiosity was because I (as I have not received my CHL yet everything stays home until I go to the range) live 5 houses away from a high school. I plan to travel that way going to and from work (fastest way).
A licensee is allowed to have the handgun on school grounds, but is not allowed to carry into any buildings. A licensee also cannot carry at any school activities.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Amonix wrote:You know I was curious about the whole school zone thing. My CHL instructor explained to us that we were allowed to keep our weapons in the car passing the school. However we were unable to take our weapons into the school if we were going to pick up our kids or doing any business on the school. My curiosity was because I (as I have not received my CHL yet everything stays home until I go to the range) live 5 houses away from a high school. I plan to travel that way going to and from work (fastest way).
A licensee is allowed to have the handgun on school grounds, but is not allowed to carry into any buildings. A licensee also cannot carry at any school activities.

Another question that occurred to me: does the zone have to be posted as a "gun free school zone" or does the law apply everywhere with reduced speed limits for school zones?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

VMI77 wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:

Another question that occurred to me: does the zone have to be posted as a "gun free school zone" or does the law apply everywhere with reduced speed limits for school zones?
I have seen Gun Free School Zone signs, but as far as I know there is no legal requirement for them to have to post a sign.
Keith

Dave2
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Dave2 »

VMI77 wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the reduced speed limit signs don't denote the boundary of school property. Otherwise the school in my neighborhood would own a *lot* of houses.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”