School zone arrest

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
SWAMPRNR
Posts in topic: 1

School zone arrest

Post by SWAMPRNR »

MCGREGOR (November 4, 2013) McGregor police arrested a man Friday following a traffic stop after they found a loaded handgun in the car.

Charles Ray Seniceros, 31, posted a $3,000 bond Saturday and was released from the McLennan County Jail after he was charged with unlawfully carrying a weapon in a school zone.

McGregor police Detective Joe Coy said officers stopped a car at about 3:30 p.m. Friday near the McGregor Elementary School after receiving a tip that the driver of the car was going to the school to pick up his children and was carrying a weapon.

Police stopped the car and while searching the vehicle found a loaded .40-caliber handgun under the seat.

The driver was arrested at the scene and taken to county jail, Coy said.
Maybe a mad wife tipped them off.

Teamless

Re: School zone arrest

Post by Teamless »

more reason to get your CHL
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

SWAMPRNR wrote:
MCGREGOR (November 4, 2013) McGregor police arrested a man Friday following a traffic stop after they found a loaded handgun in the car.

Charles Ray Seniceros, 31, posted a $3,000 bond Saturday and was released from the McLennan County Jail after he was charged with unlawfully carrying a weapon in a school zone.

McGregor police Detective Joe Coy said officers stopped a car at about 3:30 p.m. Friday near the McGregor Elementary School after receiving a tip that the driver of the car was going to the school to pick up his children and was carrying a weapon.

Police stopped the car and while searching the vehicle found a loaded .40-caliber handgun under the seat.

The driver was arrested at the scene and taken to county jail, Coy said.
Maybe a mad wife tipped them off.
Please post the link
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

This might be it.
http://www.kwtx.com/ourtown/home/headli ... 20581.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Keith B
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Keith B »

Will be interesting to see if he had a CHL. If not, wonder if they actually charged him for possesion under the federal Gun Free School Zone Act. There is no other law that he broke unless he couldn't legally posses the firearm. Maybe someone can find the charges.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Yep, curious to see how this one shakes out.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

gthaustex
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gthaustex »

I spent a little time looking. He doesn't show up on the most recent inmate list for McLennan County. If he was booked and still present, there should / would have been a charge listed. Wonder if he already bonded out....

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

gthaustex wrote:I spent a little time looking. He doesn't show up on the most recent inmate list for McLennan County. If he was booked and still present, there should / would have been a charge listed. Wonder if he already bonded out....
From the link
....posted a $3,000 bond Saturday and was released from the McLennan County Jail after he was charged with unlawfully carrying a weapon in a school zone.
Is anyone aware of another situation where local officers have enforced a Federal gun law like this? You have to wonder what was going on that:
after receiving a tip that the driver of the car was going to the school to pick up his children and was carrying a weapon.
It sounds like a setup based on some other circumstances. Understanding that news reporters seldom get the facts correct, I read that to say that someone, perhaps a wife in a marital dispute, ratted him out. It is difficult to imagine why the police would know to look for a weapon unless he told them about it without that outsider information.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

I double checked on this very subject with my instructor. He said it was ok to CC on school driveway to pick up child and he said yes. That's true correct? Because I still won't do it.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

It is okay if you have a CHL but if you are carrying under the MPA, then federal law kicks in
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

CHLLady wrote:I double checked on this very subject with my instructor. He said it was ok to CC on school driveway to pick up child and he said yes. That's true correct? Because I still won't do it.
If you have a TX CHL (resident or non-resident), yes.
If you have an out-of-state CHL, or no CHL at all, NO

BATF Letter on this subject: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 95_ccw.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The law provides certain exceptions to the general ban on possession of firearms in school zones. One exception is where the individual possessing the firearm "is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State....."
IANAL. This is my OPINION. Not legal advice.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

I'm curious if this was in the school zone for a federal law violation or on the school property itself. Being a media article one can only guess.

stroo

Post by stroo »

Realistically if you are carrying under MPA in any major city, you will violate the federal law. There are too many schools along primary roads not to.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Dave2 »

stroo wrote:Realistically if you are carrying under MPA in any major city, you will violate the federal law. There are too many schools along primary roads not to.
In some parts of town, it's hard to even find a house that far from a school, let alone a path to/from work.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

chasfm11 wrote:
gthaustex wrote:I spent a little time looking. He doesn't show up on the most recent inmate list for McLennan County. If he was booked and still present, there should / would have been a charge listed. Wonder if he already bonded out....
From the link
....posted a $3,000 bond Saturday and was released from the McLennan County Jail after he was charged with unlawfully carrying a weapon in a school zone.

Is anyone aware of another situation where local officers have enforced a Federal gun law like this? You have to wonder what was going on that:
after receiving a tip that the driver of the car was going to the school to pick up his children and was carrying a weapon.
It sounds like a setup based on some other circumstances. Understanding that news reporters seldom get the facts correct, I read that to say that someone, perhaps a wife in a marital dispute, ratted him out. It is difficult to imagine why the police would know to look for a weapon unless he told them about it without that outsider information.
Duh....you got me. Long day today....helps if I read the whole thing and actually pay attention. :smilelol5:

Return to “The Crime Blotter”