FL: Dispatcher sends police to wrong home 9 rounds fired

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

FL: Dispatcher sends police to wrong home 9 rounds fired

Post by philip964 »

http://www.wftv.com/news/local/fdle-inv ... e/66491681

Man awoke at 1:30am to banging on front door. Police did not identify themselves per the homeowner. He got his gun thinking it was a robber.

Police see the gun through the window and begin firing. Fortunately they missed everyone inside.

Man got to spend the rest of the night handcuffed on the curb with his family. Nice house by the way if you watch the video.

The two officers are being investigated, the dispatcher is not. Earlier the two officers made a report that an informant had fingered a higher up at the police department for selling drugs. They feel they were sent to the wrong house in retaliation.

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 4

Re: FL: Dispatcher sends police to wrong home 9 rounds fired

Post by locke_n_load »

Will be a good one to follow.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

And the paid leave thing bothers me every time...
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dave2 »

locke_n_load wrote:And the paid leave thing bothers me every time...
"Innocent until proven guilty"
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Dave2 wrote:
Yeah, but for almost any other job, it does not work that way.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

locke_n_load wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
:iagree:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Sounds like an episode of Breaking Bad.

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pariah3j »

No shots were fired by the homeowner.
I do believe I would have been returning fire. If nothing else but on pure instinct, esp at 1:30 in the morning.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

locke_n_load wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
K. They're still innocent until proven guilty.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

allisji

Post by allisji »

Very lucky no one was killed. I'm not sure what I would think if someone is pounding on my door in the middle of the night. I would definitely assume trouble and want to be armed. But would a burglar knock on the door? I wouldn't assume so.

Not sure the best way to respond to this situation. I would hope that the police would call out "POLICE!" while knocking. But they may not do that if they don't want the criminal to know who it is. I

One thing I could think of that might be worth considering, would be to have a shoulder holster hanging on the bedroom wall for a nighttime home intruder. Throw on the harness (ready with two spare mags), holster the weapon. Maybe put on a jacket or unbuttoned shirt over it, then go answer the door... something to consider...
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

howdy

Post by howdy »

allisji wrote:Very lucky no one was killed. I'm not sure what I would think if someone is pounding on my door in the middle of the night. I would definitely assume trouble and want to be armed. But would a burglar knock on the door? I wouldn't assume so.

Not sure the best way to respond to this situation. I would hope that the police would call out "POLICE!" while knocking. But they may not do that if they don't want the criminal to know who it is. I

One thing I could think of that might be worth considering, would be to have a shoulder holster hanging on the bedroom wall for a nighttime home intruder. Throw on the harness (ready with two spare mags), holster the weapon. Maybe put on a jacket or unbuttoned shirt over it, then go answer the door... something to consider...
I don't think I would answer the door.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

Dave2 wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
K. They're still innocent until proven guilty.
fine they are innocent until proven guilty, while NOT getting paid for being involved in a bad shoot.

misterlarry

Post by misterlarry »

Good thing it wasn't a "no knock" warrant or there would definitely have been innocent blood spilled. I can't believe that there is no internal investigation into sending officers to the wrong address. Really?
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pariah3j »

misterlarry wrote:Good thing it wasn't a "no knock" warrant or there would definitely have been innocent blood spilled. I can't believe that there is no internal investigation into sending officers to the wrong address. Really?
My understanding from the article is there is an internal investigation into the matter, just not the dispatcher for some reason.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

allisji wrote:Very lucky no one was killed. I'm not sure what I would think if someone is pounding on my door in the middle of the night. I would definitely assume trouble and want to be armed. But would a burglar knock on the door? I wouldn't assume so.

Yes home invaders have pounded on the door. Your own statements, which I highlighted, tell why it works.

They will pound on the door "urgently". They will try to make it seem like there is an emergency and they need your help or one of your family members has been in an accident, or something else. They want to get you rattled enough that you will open the door without thinking it through. It works all the time. Not every time, but often enough.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “The Crime Blotter”