Mass Shooting at Orlando Nightclub

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

tomtexan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Mass Shooting at Orlando Nightclub

Post by tomtexan »

KLB wrote:I've long wondered why we haven't seen more such simple attacks in this country. We have so many soft targets, it's easy to see the potential for terror. I hope not, but my guess is that this attack will be followed by many more.
:iagree:
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

rentz
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rentz »

Life is too short and precious for such evil and hatred

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

A bio on wiki shows him to be a Florida Concealed Carry licensee. Ouch.

I can't confirm any of this report
source: https://www.everipedia.com/omar-mateen/
Omar Mateen was the shooter in the Pulse Orlando Shooting (2016). His family runs a religious non-profit called The Durand Jirga, Inc. Mateen is associated with ISIS. He hails from Port St. Lucie, Florida and was born to Afghan parents.  He was a registered Democrat according to state voter records, and also possessed a concealed carry license. He has no known previous criminal record,   but was reportedly on the FBI 'radar' in 2013 and 2014. The case was closed without action.

In 2006 Omar changed his name from Omar Mir Seddique to Omar Mir Seddique Mateen.
Last edited by 2farnorth on Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
N5PNZ

philip964
Posts in topic: 21

Post by philip964 »

TV news is saying he had a special gun license.

Javier730
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Javier730 »

I wonder if that means a tax stamp.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Just heard on NBC news(continuous coverage, as to be expected), that shooter made 911 call just prior to shooting that he pledged his full support to ISIS. Evil. Just pure evil.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Carolina Cajun

Post by Carolina Cajun »

So this terrorist had a class D (unarmed) and class G (armed) license due to him being a security guard. G Class Licenses are not like Florida CCW Permits. They do not allow license holders to carry arms in the same way a CCW does. It only covers a license holder while they're on duty and working a contract that requires them to be armed. They are restricted to a .38 Special Revolver or a 9x19mm Pistol. They cannot be concealed and when off duty they cannot carry under the license.

https://licensing.freshfromflorida.com/ ... IND_DETAIL

But not worry I am sure the POTUS had been briefed on this and knows that fact, but will still call for more "gun control"

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

philip964 wrote:TV news is saying he had a special gun license.
He was a licensed security guard, which apparently let him skip background checks. Dunno if/how that ties in with him having a CHL.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Carolina Cajun

Post by Carolina Cajun »

Dave2 wrote:
He was a licensed security guard, which apparently let him skip background checks. Dunno if/how that ties in with him having a CHL.
Dave2: See my post, From what I am reading, he did not have an Florida CCW. And the licenses he did have, would not have allowed him to legally carry in that club.

TexasSully

Post by TexasSully »

Carolina Cajun wrote:So this terrorist had a class D (unarmed) and class G (armed) license due to him being a security guard. G Class Licenses are not like Florida CCW Permits. They do not allow license holders to carry arms in the same way a CCW does. It only covers a license holder while they're on duty and working a contract that requires them to be armed. They are restricted to a .38 Special Revolver or a 9x19mm Pistol. They cannot be concealed and when off duty they cannot carry under the license.

But not worry I am sure the POTUS had been briefed on this and knows that fact, but will still call for more "gun control"
Just saw Obama's speech and while he alluded that this was a terrorist act, he still said we need more gun control.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Carolina Cajun wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
Dave2: See my post, From what I am reading, he did not have an Florida CCW. And the licenses he did have, would not have allowed him to legally carry in that club.
Oh, ok. Wouldn't be the first time CNN was confused on the details. Last I checked, they were still claiming he used an assault rifle, which is technically not impossible, but almost certainly wrong.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Beiruty »

I am really shocked and horrified about the mass killing that happened in Orlando, on the hand of violent criminal mind (no need to mention his name).
In this Holy month of Ramadan, the month of worshiping, forgiveness, and generosity, the month of mercy we witness such heinous criminal act. Call it terrorism, call it criminal, call it viscous, call it a savagery. Call it whatever you want, nonetheless, It is un-Islamic act. Such act is nothing but a result of Wahhabi violent ideology justifying targeting innocent civilians.
Innocent Muslims are being killed in thousands on the hands of ISIS, a freaky bunch of international criminals whose sole purpose of existence is to live to kill. ISIS violent-ideology is like cancer, it metastasis all across the globe.
Muslims all around have to rise and fight such Wahhabi-violent ideology of indiscriminate killing for the sake of killing. Condemning it in words is not enough. All the humanity shall rise and fight those who target innocent civilians wherever they are.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Oldgringo »

Oldgringo wrote:I don't think this mass murder of some 50 people can be called anything but what it is by any thinking person. It is Islamic terrorism brought to the U.S. by the same people who want to import more of them. Yes, I am biased....a lot.
CNN just announced that the current POTUS has declared the mass murder n Orlando to be an act of terrorism. Yep, that's the same guy who called the Ft. Hood murders by a muslim to be 'workplace violence'.

philip964
Posts in topic: 21

Post by philip964 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tages.html

Swore allegiance to ISIS.

I am concerned just like in Paris, that many of these venues do not have enough exits and the exits they do have are concentrated at the front, when if controlled by a terrorist do not leave any way for the people to quickly exit. That and of course this was likely a gun free zone, so no one can defend themselves by shooting back.

Horrible.

RIP

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Oldgringo »

Beiruty wrote:I am really shocked and horrified about the mass killing that happened in Orlando, on the hand of violent criminal mind (no need to mention his name).
In this Holy month of Ramadan, the month of worshiping, forgiveness, and generosity, the month of mercy we witness such heinous criminal act. Call it terrorism, call it criminal, call it viscous, call it a savagery. Call it whatever you want, nonetheless, It is un-Islamic act. Such act is nothing but a result of Wahhabi violent ideology justifying targeting innocent civilians.
Innocent Muslims are being killed in thousands on the hands of ISIS, a freaky bunch of international criminals whose sole purpose of existence is to live to kill. ISIS violent-ideology is like cancer, it metastasis all across the globe.
Muslims all around have to rise and fight such Wahhabi-violent ideology of indiscriminate killing for the sake of killing. Condemning it in words is not enough. All the humanity shall rise and fight those who target innocent civilians wherever they are.
Thank you, Beiruty. Well said.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”