Criminals Feel Really Bad After Robbery Attempt, Mostly Due To Bullets

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 4

Criminals Feel Really Bad After Robbery Attempt, Mostly Due To Bullets

Post by Pawpaw »

Two thugs in Newark failed miserably in their target selection game Thursday night, singling out a 43-year-old woman who retired from the NYPD nine months ago, and who happened to be armed.
http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/11/11 ... ampaign=nl
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

chasfm11

Re: Criminals Feel Really Bad After Robbery Attempt, Mostly Due To Bullets

Post by chasfm11 »

I generally believe that the Federal government should stay out of the concealed handgun licensing. But NJ is one of the places where the proposed National reciprocity would help a lot. We lived not far from Newark and found it to be a cesspool of gun crime then. The Liberal legal establishment in NJ, however, looks the other way when it comes to criminals from the Newark 'hood and crucifies anyone else found with a handgun. I will say that NJ LE tries to keep the vermin in Newark from spreading too far outside of that city. I had to drive to Newark airport a lot from further West. I knew that I was probably OK if I stayed away from the city itself.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

wheelgun1958
Posts in topic: 1

Post by wheelgun1958 »

43 and retired? Must be nice to work civil service.

howdy

Post by howdy »

I have read that NYPD Officers are not allowed to take their weapons home. I wonder if this retired Officer was allowed to have a handgun in Newark.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Topic author
Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

wheelgun1958 wrote:43 and retired? Must be nice to work civil service.
Ever hear of a medical retirement?

I've known people who were medically retired from the military in their 20's. I believe the same could be applied to a policeman who was injured on the job.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

rotor

Post by rotor »

Why do you assume medical retirement? Where I live it's 25 years.

Topic author
Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I didn't assume anything. I was responding to wheelgun1958's remark and was pointing out there could be other reasons for early retirement.

But you are right. I retired from the USAF just shy of my 42nd birthday. It didn't mean I was done working though. I started a whole new career after that.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

If I had the power, I'd give the OP an award for "Best thread title of the week".
I get a chuckle every time I see it in the active topics list. :fire

:txflag:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

RoyGBiv wrote:If I had the power, I'd give the OP an award for "Best thread title of the week".
I get a chuckle every time I see it in the active topics list. :fire

:txflag:
:iagree:

Topic author
Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Thanks, but Bearing Arms gets the credit.

All I did was copy & paste. :tiphat:

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Also from the article
We’re glad that these two criminals are off the street, but wish all New Jersey citizens had the practical right to bear arms, and not just a favored few in protected classes.
That pretty much sums up NJ and NJ concealed carry. Politicians and the politically connected are the protected class.
Dum Spiro, Spero

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

LEOSA would allow her to carry in NYC/NJ as a retired LEO. Otherwise it's next to impossible to obtain a carry permit in NJ or NYC.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

chasfm11 wrote:I generally believe that the Federal government should stay out of the concealed handgun licensing. But NJ is one of the places where the proposed National reciprocity would help a lot. We lived not far from Newark and found it to be a cesspool of gun crime then. The Liberal legal establishment in NJ, however, looks the other way when it comes to criminals from the Newark 'hood and crucifies anyone else found with a handgun. I will say that NJ LE tries to keep the vermin in Newark from spreading too far outside of that city. I had to drive to Newark airport a lot from further West. I knew that I was probably OK if I stayed away from the city itself.
I agree with this.

A blanket reciprocity sounds great. Allowing the nose of the Federal Camel into the Concealed Carry tent is, IMO, unwise.

Consider that IF Obama had the ability (or precedent, even remotely conjured) he'd have banned concealed carry by civilians.

How many of you really expect Trump to win on election day morning? I was very concerned that we were going to have to deal with an all out assault on our 2A rights by Clinton & Company.

I think we should stick to what we have today. If the citizens of the NE. Kalifornia, etc., want to live as serfs, that's their business. It becomes a different story when they through their Representatives want us to join them on their knees.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Jeff B. wrote:
chasfm11 wrote:I generally believe that the Federal government should stay out of the concealed handgun licensing. But NJ is one of the places where the proposed National reciprocity would help a lot. We lived not far from Newark and found it to be a cesspool of gun crime then. The Liberal legal establishment in NJ, however, looks the other way when it comes to criminals from the Newark 'hood and crucifies anyone else found with a handgun. I will say that NJ LE tries to keep the vermin in Newark from spreading too far outside of that city. I had to drive to Newark airport a lot from further West. I knew that I was probably OK if I stayed away from the city itself.
I agree with this.

A blanket reciprocity sounds great. Allowing the nose of the Federal Camel into the Concealed Carry tent is, IMO, unwise.

Consider that IF Obama had the ability (or precedent, even remotely conjured) he'd have banned concealed carry by civilians.

How many of you really expect Trump to win on election day morning? I was very concerned that we were going to have to deal with an all out assault on our 2A rights by Clinton & Company.

I think we should stick to what we have today. If the citizens of the NE. Kalifornia, etc., want to live as serfs, that's their business. It becomes a different story when they through their Representatives want us to join them on their knees.

Jeff B.
Charles has cleared the air on Federal concealed reciprocity and possible negative consequences, at least for me. I do not believe that NJ will allow any one but the well connected politically to ever defend themselves without a Federal law. And regarding, Cali, as long as the citizens there are still citizens of the United States, I don't believe that those who wish to be able to defend themselves under the 2nd Amendment should be denied that right just because a majority of their State peers want that ban. That is a very slippy slope, IMHO. Constitutional rights under the Constitution are not subject to even State votes. Manage anything else anyway that you want at the State level but leave the Bill of Rights alone. I think Cali is very close to obsoleting the BORs in several areas. If they secede, as some of them now want to do, that is a different story. Then they can rule themselves in whatever manner that they choose.

I don't want to stick with what we have today. I want Maryland to be at least at the same level as Illinois, allowing CC in a vehicle. I have to drive through about 15 miles of that decrepit place on I-81 and have always been concerned, because of my Texas plates, that following FOPA wouldn't even be enough. NJ and NY are big obstacles to visiting some places that I'd like to see. And I really want to hear the pipe organs at Methuen and 1st Church (Christ Scientist) in Boston. The National reciprocity would make that possible for me.
Dum Spiro, Spero

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Something to think about with a National Reciprocity bill. . . . .

For better or for worse, even if a bill like that passes, states are still allowed to set their own laws about things like magazine capacity. I'd love it if a reciprocity bill made it legal for me to carry whenever I visit family back in California, but they have a 10 round magazine capacity limit there, so I would still have to either carry one of my 10 round or less capacity guns, OR carry my regular carry guns with mags restricted to 10 rounds. My Glock 19 is legal to own in California, but only with 10 round mags. That means that unless I had the standard capacity mags stashed somewhere in Arizona while I was in California, so I could pick them up on my way back home, I'd be restricted to 10 rounds or less for the entire trip.

So just because you'll be able to carry a gun in a gun-unfriendly state, that doesn't mean that you'll be able to carry your regular carry piece in that state.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “The Crime Blotter”