Texas Rep. Armando Martinez shot in head, in stable condition

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
tomtexan
Posts in topic: 1

Texas Rep. Armando Martinez shot in head, in stable condition

Post by tomtexan »

This will get the Democrats stirred up in Austin with some new anti-gun bills.

http://www.easttexasmatters.com/news/te ... /634482808
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

The Wall

Re: Texas Rep. Armando Martinez shot in head, in stable condition

Post by The Wall »

That's why you don't shoot your guns up in the air to celebrate which I'm guessing is what happened.

doncb

Post by doncb »

tomtexan wrote:This will get the Democrats stirred up in Austin with some new anti-gun bills.
I figure altitude restrictions. :biggrinjester:

All kidding aside, I do hope he gets better.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

Weg

Post by Weg »

Very sad, I pray he recovers fully. I never have understood the stupidity of firing a gun in the air as celebration.

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bmwrdr »

The Wall wrote:That's why you don't shoot your guns up in the air to celebrate which I'm guessing is what happened.
:iagree: My best guess too!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2931028
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Thank god his brain wasn’t damaged and he's been released from the hospital.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

bmwrdr wrote:
The Wall wrote:That's why you don't shoot your guns up in the air to celebrate which I'm guessing is what happened.
:iagree: My best guess too!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2931028
Quoting the article........
His wife, Marisa Martinez, realized her husband had been shot when she noticed a small hole on the left top side of her husband’s head, Hidalgo County Sheriff Eddie Guerra told The Monitor.
The reason I emphasized the fact that the bullet hit him on the top of his head, is that I have personally worked on 3 patients who were hit by bullets falling out the sky, fired from far enough away that witnesses did not hear a gunshot. Of those three, two were shot on New Years Eve. One sustained a broken femur from a 230 grain .45 FMJ that came down through the ragtop roof of his jeep and hit him in the thigh, and the other was taken out by a .223 bullet in the top of her left shoulder, which transited her left lung, left abdomen, bounced of the inside of her left pelvis, bounced off the inside of her right pelvis, and came to rest in the dome of her liver.......holing just about every organ in between her shoulder and liver. 14 hours on the operating table, 24 units of blood, and a month later, she walked out of the hospital.

The third person took a .308 caliber bullet in the head, again, fired from far enough away that nobody heard the shot. Two years later, he was still curled up in a vegetative coma with a large part of his brain missing, crapping himself and shivering continuously like a bowl of jello.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone shooting a gun into the air anywhere near or in a populated area, for any reason other than legitimate defense of self and/or property, ought to have their 2nd Amendment rights infringed for some period of time, even if nobody gets hurt. This is just my opinion, nothing more. Nowhere in the Constitution does it say that rights come with responsibilities; but on a moral plane, any sane person knows that they certainly do.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 2

Post by treadlightly »

it does sound like a round fired into the air, and that is infuriating. From bullet at rest in the chamber to bullet at rest where its flight stops, that is all the direct responsibility of the shooter.

If the shooter is found and says he didn't know where his shot was going to go, that's an admission of intent to cause harm based on the odds it could.

I hate the term "celebratory round" even though I use it (derisively). The only thing truly celebratory about any gunshot is how well it celebrates discipline.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Several of the LEOs that I've known have said that unless they were actively on a call they would park their cruisers underneath a bridge for about 10-15 minutes on both sides of midnight on New Years to have cover from things falling out of the sky.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I kinda like the term "celebratory round," but to me that means shots of tequila for everyone. :cheers2:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

KurtFTW

Post by KurtFTW »

This doesn't surprise me. I'm glad he is ok and should make a full recovery, but I actually used to live in Weslaco, Tx. That kind of reckless behavior is prevalent there. The sad truth is whoever did this will more than likely do it again and someone might actually lose their life next time.
NRA 5 Year Member | Sig Sauer P320

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Possibly a 223/5.56. I wonder if the idiot dumped a full mag.

http://www.kboi.com/news/stray-bullet-h ... lebration/

"Martinez, 40, was transferred to the neurosurgical unit at Valley Baptist Medical Center in Harlingen, where surgeons removed the bullet fragment. The fragment had penetrated his skull and lodged itself into the dura mater, the top layer of the brain, doctors told Martinez.
The fragment appears to be from a .223 caliber round, said Martinez, who spoke to CNN by phone on Sunday while recovering at the hospital."
III

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bmwrdr »

The Annoyed Man wrote: ...

As far as I'm concerned, anyone shooting a gun into the air anywhere near or in a populated area, for any reason other than legitimate defense of self and/or property, ought to have their 2nd Amendment rights infringed for some period of time, even if nobody gets hurt. This is just my opinion, nothing more. Nowhere in the Constitution does it say that rights come with responsibilities; but on a moral plane, any sane person knows that they certainly do.
:iagree: Sure thing. It is not just negligence of basic safety rules but also an uncontrolled discharge of a firearm with a possible fatal result.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

;-) To Celebrate any event, there is nothing like seeking in the middle of dark night, a someone whose life became so intolerable (Think homeless, old aged poor person with no family or neglected orphan) and make their day the best day ever they had. You will be happiest and so they will be.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “The Crime Blotter”