Shooting at FLL today

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 6

Shooting at FLL today

Post by Vol Texan »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rport.html
A gunman is in custody after a deadly shooting at the Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood Airport.

Sources tell NBC Miami that nine people have been shot and three people have died.
An airport spokesman said that the center of the incident was in the baggage claim area of Terminal 2. It does not appear that the shooter breached the TSA-secured area of the airport.

And people wonder why I carry into the airport when I'm picking up family.
Last edited by Vol Texan on Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

C-dub

Re: Shooting at FFL today

Post by C-dub »

Vol Texan wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rport.html
A gunman is in custody after a deadly shooting at the Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood Airport.

Sources tell NBC Miami that nine people have been shot and three people have died.
An airport spokesman said that the center of the incident was in the baggage claim area of Terminal 2. It does not appear that the shooter breached the TSA-secured area of the airport.

And people wonder why I carry into the airport when I'm picking up family.
I do too, but no one wonders why.

BTW, that airport's letters are FLL.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Since "gunman" has not been identified yet, per propaganda, even though he/she is in custody, I can only speculate that this is not an Caucasian male with Trump shirt... :totap:

Topic author
Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

C-dub wrote:
BTW, that airport's letters are FLL.
Thanks. I fixed it above.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Shooting at FLL today

Post by ScottDLS »

Is it legal to carry in the non-secure area of a Florida airport? I seem to recall seeing signs in Tampa and Orlando airports suggesting that it is not.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Something else going on again at same airport. Listening to live report on FOX from someone at the airport out on the tarmac.

More shots just fired in a garage.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Now five are reported dead.
ScottDLS wrote:Is it legal to carry in the non-secure area of a Florida airport? I seem to recall seeing signs in Tampa and Orlando airports suggesting that it is not.
I travel to southern Florida via air a couple times a year. Usually, I fly in/out of PBI, but occasionally through FLL. I always travel with a checked carry pistol.

If I recall correctly, the airport is off limits to carry, unless "firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft". (Source)

So... I have to ask. How could this happen? It's officially a 'gun free zone'. People should expect to feel safe there. /sarcasm

Sad day for all those affected. Prayers for them and their families.
Last edited by Vol Texan on Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

ScottDLS wrote:Is it legal to carry in the non-secure area of a Florida airport? I seem to recall seeing signs in Tampa and Orlando airports suggesting that it is not.
It looks like you are correct.
https://www.floridacarry.org/issues/con ... ou-in-jail

Topic author
Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

C-dub wrote:
Sorry if this takes the thread off-topic:
I've never seen that image before, but I have to question it. I fly in/out of South Carolina often, and I thought it was off limits there as well.
From http://handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf:
Airport Carry:
If publically (sic) owned Not in Terminal. Parking Lot OK (Section 16-23-420(a))
It is difficult to know who owns the airport. Handgunlaw.us recommends not carrying in any Terminal.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

Whew...at least I can carry in Newark terminal once I get my NJ carry license... :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

C-dub wrote:
So it's legal to carry in the unsecure area of the airport in NY and CA, but not FL? I guess because they limit who can carry in CA and NY, they're not concerned.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Vol Texan wrote:
C-dub wrote:
Sorry if this takes the thread off-topic:
I've never seen that image before, but I have to question it. I fly in/out of South Carolina often, and I thought it was off limits there as well.
From http://handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf:
Airport Carry:
If publically (sic) owned Not in Terminal. Parking Lot OK (Section 16-23-420(a))
It is difficult to know who owns the airport. Handgunlaw.us recommends not carrying in any Terminal.
I'm not sure of the validity of this map. It was one of the first few links that came up in my search that had an easy to read map.

Regarding North Carolina, consider this. https://www.ccaofnc.org/airports/
This seems to indicate that carrying in the unsecure areas are legal.

Glockster
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Glockster »

I am watching it on Fox and there are additional reports of more shots fired - this is just a few minutes ago. Might just be confusion, but they have someone at the baggage claim who was standing next to two individuals who were shot, and he is reporting that they've been ordered to the ground. Everyone sent back inside, has now been sent back outside.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

Glockster
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Glockster »

The shooter reportedly was carrying a military ID.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

mr1337
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mr1337 »

Vol Texan wrote:And people wonder why I carry into the airport when I'm picking up family.
Going to be carrying at AUS here in about an hour to pick up the MIL. There's no good reason not to carry in an airport where it's legal.

In some states, including Florida, carrying into the airport is unlawful unless it's enclosed and prepared for transport.

Maybe they will learn and reduce that to the sterile areas of the airport.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”