NYC: Driver of truck mows down pedestrians - 8 - dead

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NYC: Driver of truck mows down pedestrians - 8 - dead

Post by RoyGBiv »

Too bad nobody had a gun except for the police.
Wonder whether some lives might have been saved by stopping the terrorist sooner.

Hopefully the bus driver keeps his job. Kudos to him, it seems.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

grnamin

Post by grnamin »

Might be best to carry barrier blind ammo as part of one's kit going forward. I know I am.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I don't see how having a gun in situations like can prevent the carnage, or even stop a truck. I think your best defense is situational awareness, thinking about possibilities when you find your self in a crowd.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

NotRPB wrote:The Assault Truck had a Stock-Bumper, Muffler Silencer, was Automatic, & had a high capacity fuel tank (over ten gallons)
No one NEEDS more than ten gallons
Thank goodness it wasn't a black one, the black ones are dangerous.
I know, I've seen lots of pictures of trucks... so yeah, I'm pretty much an expert.
I was even a truckowner once, I had a license for it..
I support the right to own a truck, but .... but .... but we need to limit the capacity and put governors on the motors to limit their speed, that's a loophole, yeah more government that's the answer
:iagree:

Vehicles are much more dangerous than guns. So it's clearly time for some common sense vehicle control laws:

- No one needs a truck or car that is capable of traveling above 85 MPH (the highest speed limit I have seen in the US).

- Let's close the "private sale" loophole. Mandatory background checks and psych evals are needed before we issue drivers licenses and sell anyone a vehicle.

- Require technology that senses humans in a vehicles path and applies the brakes, without allowing drivers to override. This technology exists and works perfectly. I saw a commercial that included it.

- 10 day "cooling off" period before anyone can purchase or rent a vehicle.

- Stop this crazy national reciprocity for drivers licenses. Texas should not be at the mercy of "vehicle nutjobs" who manage to get a license in a vehicle crazed state like California. There should only be very limited reciprocity agreements among specific individual states.

- States should also create their own specific driving and traffic laws that work best for their citizens. They should not feel obligated to follow any type of national norms like driving on a certain side of the road, the meaning of various signs, or whether signs even have legal authority, etc.

- Most states should switch to a "may issue" basis for licenses to purchase vehicles that weigh more than a Smart Car. Drivers should show a bona fide need for a larger vehicle such as employment, etc.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

It's time for the truck lobby to work with Congress to ban fully automatic transmissions. And bumpers!

Also that shoulder thing that goes up.

God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NotRPB »

I didn't even think of that
shoulder thing that goes up.
"rlol"

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

We also need to ban all vehicle parts that increase the rate of travel. Things like wheels with air instead of solid rubber, any engine bigger than a 4 cylinder, shocks, etc. There is no reason that civilians need things we have on weapons of war like HMMW-V's, and the like. Sure they make sense for the military, but why does someone need these things to get them to and from work?

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
NotRPB wrote:The Assault Truck had a Stock-Bumper, Muffler Silencer, was Automatic, & had a high capacity fuel tank (over ten gallons)
No one NEEDS more than ten gallons
Thank goodness it wasn't a black one, the black ones are dangerous.
I know, I've seen lots of pictures of trucks... so yeah, I'm pretty much an expert.
I was even a truckowner once, I had a license for it..
I support the right to own a truck, but .... but .... but we need to limit the capacity and put governors on the motors to limit their speed, that's a loophole, yeah more government that's the answer
:iagree:

Vehicles are much more dangerous than guns. So it's clearly time for some common sense vehicle control laws:

- No one needs a truck or car that is capable of traveling above 85 MPH (the highest speed limit I have seen in the US).

- Let's close the "private sale" loophole. Mandatory background checks and psych evals are needed before we issue drivers licenses and sell anyone a vehicle.

- Require technology that senses humans in a vehicles path and applies the brakes, without allowing drivers to override. This technology exists and works perfectly. I saw a commercial that included it.

- 10 day "cooling off" period before anyone can purchase or rent a vehicle.

- Stop this crazy national reciprocity for drivers licenses. Texas should not be at the mercy of "vehicle nutjobs" who manage to get a license in a vehicle crazed state like California. There should only be very limited reciprocity agreements among specific individual states.

- States should also create their own specific driving and traffic laws that work best for their citizens. They should not feel obligated to follow any type of national norms like driving on a certain side of the road, the meaning of various signs, or whether signs even have legal authority, etc.

- Most states should switch to a "may issue" basis for licenses to purchase vehicles that weigh more than a Smart Car. Drivers should show a bona fide need for a larger vehicle such as employment, etc.

thanks that was a good laugh
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Please note since we cannot ban vehicles. All vehicles should go no faster than 4 Mph.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

At lunch just now I heard the mayor of New York criticizing our President for "politicizing" the attack by mentioning the need for tougher immigration requirements. Funny how I didn't hear him criticize Hillary when she called for continuing the ban on silencers right after the Vegas massacre.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Are there any "Do not Drive on Sidewalk" signs? If not, that is all it would take to keep these tragedies from happening.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

jason812 wrote:Are there any "Do not Drive on Sidewalk" signs? If not, that is all it would take to keep these tragedies from happening.
They could do one better and just post signs saying that it is illegal to kill anyone within 100 feet of the sign. Post these signs all over the city.

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Lynyrd »

This guy is now bragging. :mad5
“He’s talking. He’s laughing. He’s very happy with what he did,” said a source who was briefed by a hospital staffer on the floor. “He feels accomplished.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/man ... -1.3603698
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 8

Post by philip964 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:At lunch just now I heard the mayor of New York criticizing our President for "politicizing" the attack by mentioning the need for tougher immigration requirements. Funny how I didn't hear him criticize Hillary when she called for continuing the ban on silencers right after the Vegas massacre.
There was a Hillary Tweet running around the internet yesterday That essentially said "look at how many more would have been killed if the truck was equipped with a silencer".

It was one of those did she really say it or was it fake?

Trump proposes enemy combatant status for the Alien Terrorist Truck Driver. Suggests sending him to Guantanamo. :woohoo :

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

philip964 wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:At lunch just now I heard the mayor of New York criticizing our President for "politicizing" the attack by mentioning the need for tougher immigration requirements. Funny how I didn't hear him criticize Hillary when she called for continuing the ban on silencers right after the Vegas massacre.
There was a Hillary Tweet running around the internet yesterday That essentially said "look at how many more would have been killed if the truck was equipped with a silencer".

It was one of those did she really say it or was it fake?

Trump proposes enemy combatant status for the Alien Terrorist Truck Driver. Suggests sending him to Guantanamo. :woohoo :
I suggest flying him halfway to Guantanamo, toss him out over the Gulf of Mexico. No second offenses.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “The Crime Blotter”