KS:Witchta man dies after fake "Swatting" call

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 5

KS:Witchta man dies after fake "Swatting" call

Post by philip964 »

Summoned by a Prank Call, Police in Wichita Kill a Man at His Front Door - The New York Times
https://apple.news/AgjLdp8ixTAa7BjHMm9IGdw

Call of duty video game on line dispute leads to fake address being given then prank swatting call. Unarmed uninvolved man at his moms house is killed when swat surrounds the house and orders him out side. He apparently failed to keep his arms raised after being told to raise his hands.

Sounds like it was a rifle round as supposedly the officers body camera shows someone off in the distance.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Re: KS:Witchta man dies after fake "Swatting" call

Post by WTR »

All to often the Police seem to be all to ready to kill fellow civilians without verifiable cause. Judge, Jury and Exicutioner. Hopefully the family will receive just compensation if such a sum exists.

parabelum
Posts in topic: 4

Post by parabelum »

WTR wrote:All to often the Police seem to be all to ready to kill fellow civilians without verifiable cause. Judge, Jury and Exicutioner. Hopefully the family will receive just compensation if such a sum exists.
Agree 100%. Little too frequent.

OneGun
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OneGun »

The article I read indicated that the victim was shot when he reached for an unknown object. The person that called in the report to the police described the victim as having a gun and was shooting people. All too often the police are placed in a position of having to make split-second decisions with imperfect information. In this case the caller lied to the police and out the police on a hyper-tensive situation.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

You can watch the video here: http://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/ ... 11974.html

They had a spotlight on the guy. It looked to me like he put up his hand to shield his eyes and got shot for it.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Sad to see that the Police Cheif is blaming everyone ( including the victim) except his Officers for the killing.

LDB415
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LDB415 »

Whoever made the bogus call should be charged with murder and held fully accountable.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Crossroads
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Crossroads »

LAPD has arrested the "SWATer", no bail set, working with Wichita PD on case. He does have a past arrest for calling in a bomb threat to a TV studio in addition to bragging about calling in bomb threats to a gaming event in Dallas.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/30/lap ... g-wichita/
Neither a wise man or a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him.

flechero

Post by flechero »

What an awful case... I hope the swatter faces manslaughter or worse. The fact that the police were on scene because of a fake swatting call, doesn't mean they didn't mess up either. I hate to armchair QB but from the footage I saw, it sure looked like he went from hands up to shading his eyes with one hand...

I hope the family can find peace.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Who ever did the SWATing needs to be charged to the full extent of the law. The Officer who pulled the trigger needs to ride a desk and never allowed a weapon again.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

LDB415 wrote:Whoever made the bogus call should be charged with murder and held fully accountable.
This.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 11

Post by MechAg94 »

Who the hell trains these cops? There was no justification whatsoever for that shot. He was so far away that even if he had a pistol the police were in very little danger. The cop who shot should be up on charges right alongside the person who called in the fake SWATing report. His hands appeared to still be in view to me.

This looks very much like the case in Arizona of the Texas man who was murdered. Maybe a few murder convictions will lead to a change in this behavior.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

MechAg94 wrote:Who the heck trains these cops? There was no justification whatsoever for that shot. He was so far away that even if he had a pistol the police were in very little danger. The cop who shot should be up on charges right alongside the person who called in the fake SWATing report. His hands appeared to still be in view to me.

This looks very much like the case in Arizona of the Texas man who was murdered. Maybe a few murder convictions will lead to a change in this behavior.
:iagree:

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 11

Post by MechAg94 »

Perhaps another question or two for the members here:

1. If cops roll up on your house tonight and order you out of the house. Would you do it?

Seeing this action, I wouldn't set foot outside or show myself in a window for fear of being shot. I would be concerned they would start shooting at silhouettes in the window if they didn't see anything else. All I can think of is to stay out of sight and call 911 and try to talk to someone.

2. If (like in Arizona) police confront you in the open, what would you do?

I think I might just go prone on the ground and refuse to move. It appears any movement will get you shot no matter what it is.
Last edited by MechAg94 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”