FL: Active shooter at high school in South Florida

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

skeathley
Posts in topic: 1

Re: FL: Active shooter at high school in South Florida

Post by skeathley »

Once again, evidently no armed school staff. When will they learn? Oh, they had a sign up? That works.

:banghead:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

SewTexas wrote:somewhat related question.....a friend is posting memes that this is the "29th" school shooting of the year? Where can I find the truth?
Earlier this year the New York Daily News reported KY as the 11th school shooting of the year. However, they only listed 5 in that article. A few days later NPR listed all 11.

The following is my response to somebody on another board I frequent, so don't take offense.

Don't just accept the media. Research the events.
Also, know what words mean. School shooting, an event in which a student at an educational facilitynamely, elementary, middle, junior, and high schools as well as colleges and universitiesshoots and injures or kills at least one other student or faculty member at school. Such events are typically characterized by multiple deaths.
Compare each event to the definition. I went in order.
Italy, TX was a school shooting
New Orleans was a drive by gang shooting of a school parking lot. It does not fit the criteria of a school shooting in any way.
Wake Forest this happened at a party at 1 in the morning. The shooter was not associated with Wake Forest in any way. It doesn't match the definition.
Marshall, TX The shooting happened in a dorm parking lot but police don't believe it had anything to do with people at the school. The bullet did go through the dorm wall but that doesn't make it a school shooting by the definition of a school shooting.
Arizona a student committed suicide on campus. Again, not a school shooting.
Grayson College a student picked up a weapon she believed to be a training gun, they had just used training weapons, and discharged a round into a wall. Not even close to the definition.
Los Angeles matches the definition.
Iowa a pellet gun fired from a home in the neighborhood hit a passing school bus. It was about as freak an accident as could happen, and while dangerous at close ranges, the pellet would not have been lethal at that range.
Seattle the article listed on Jan 4 actually references a Dec 5, 2017 event. Go ahead. Google it. https://www.google.com/search?q=graham- ... 20&bih=545
Michigan a man committed suicide in a school parking lot. Come on man.
Kentucky matches the definition.
Florida matches the definition.

There's another list circulating here that puts the number at 18. https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailyn ... -1.3821162

But when you read through it, only 4 are actual school shootings according to the definition of a school shooting. It's the NY Daily News again.

4 is the accurate number. Even CNN calls it the 4th.
Last edited by Bruin98 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

They said the school periodically conducted active shooter drills, and the shooter participated in them as a student. So, he knew in advance what everybody was going to do. I'm wondering how he got into a classroom building carrying an AR...
-Ruark

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 13

Post by TreyHouston »

Ruark wrote:They said the school periodically conducted active shooter drills, and the shooter participated in them as a student. So, he knew in advance what everybody was going to do. I'm wondering how the **** he got into a classroom building carrying an AR...
I just saw an interview where a teacher in that district said they NEVER DRILL for active shooter.
A witness (student(s)), said he was a loon and eveyone knew that if there was a person to do it, it would be him. And that he did emergency drills, FIRE drills with them. Thats why he pulled the fire alarm at the beginning.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 6

Post by SewTexas »

skeathley wrote:Once again, evidently no armed school staff. When will they learn? Oh, they had a sign up? That works.

I heard on FOX that they had 2 armed officers, on the other side of the building. Sounds like they were very predictable, so he knew where they would be.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

seph

Post by seph »

Ruark wrote:They said the school periodically conducted active shooter drills, and the shooter participated in them as a student. So, he knew in advance what everybody was going to do. I'm wondering how he got into a classroom building carrying an AR...
Because schools are not secured at all. All doors to the outside are always unlocked where anyone can walk in. But it's ok, there are signs on every door saying visitors must sign in at the school office. :roll:
Let's go Brandon! "rlol"

carlson1
Posts in topic: 15

Post by carlson1 »

skeathley wrote:Once again, evidently no armed school staff. When will they learn? Oh, they had a sign up? That works.

The new conference with the school superintendent said that each school had at least two police officers on campus. I heard nothing about the officers responding though.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

When seconds count.......
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

o b juan

Post by o b juan »

Texas has a School Safety Course offered By Tex DPS since Last year. How many ISD's Have taken it ? A person who is emploed by an ISD may take the course and if and when they pass they may carry a Handgun on campus for the above purpose if the ISD approves them.

There is a District in the area that I live and they received a grant for 4 Million $.For School Safety . I offered the the class and the Lady that was responding for the Superintendent looked at me like I was from Mars. I assume they will use the money for crossing guards and fire alarms.

The guy (Cruz) that did this knew the "Lay of the Land" and he chose an entry away from the 2 L E officers there. It is strange that they didnt respond as was implied on TV this eve. An attack that is planned will avoid or attack the security (take them out) so they may have more target rich enviorment

The school safety program as designed by Texas DPS is too supplement the officers on campus if there are any.
Object is Avoid, Deny and last resort Defend with Deadly force.
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

o b juan wrote:Texas has a School Safety Course offered By Tex DPS since Last year. How many ISD's Have taken it ? A person who is emploed by an ISD may take the course and if and when they pass they may carry a Handgun on campus for the above purpose if the ISD approves them.

There is a District in the area that I live and they received a grant for 4 Million $.For School Safety . I offered the the class and the Lady that was responding for the Superintendent looked at me like I was from Mars. I assume they will use the money for crossing guards and fire alarms.

The guy (Cruz) that did this knew the "Lay of the Land" and he chose an entry away from the 2 L E officers there. It is strange that they didnt respond as was implied on TV this eve. An attack that is planned will avoid or attack the security (take them out) so they may have more target rich enviorment

The school safety program as designed by Texas DPS is too supplement the officers on campus if there are any.
Object is Avoid, Deny and last resort Defend with Deadly force.
What you said is correct but I hope I may add a little clarification.

Schools may allow any LTC to carry. The School Safety Certification is not a requirement. A number of schools in my area allow faculty/staff to carry and have not taken the SSC course.

I do wish the schools would take the course and more schools would allow their LTCs to carry and maybe that would dissuade the next bad guy.

I read both of his adoptive parents died. His mom just in November. I wonder if he was living alone and if the guns were in the estate? I guess we'll find out in due time. So tragic.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Flightmare »

Deplorable lunatic since 2016

ssnstump

Post by ssnstump »

I absolutely agree, Flightmare. God bless all of the victims and their families, the staff and Coach Fies.

One of the Fox talking heads wanted to know why the school didn't have a restraining order for the shooter.
THAT would have solved the problem. They could have taped a copy of the order on the door. ???????!!!!!!!
US Navy Submarine Service 1976-1982

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Not much coverage of this event in Everett, Washington.

His grandmother turned him in. The number of people she saved will never be known.

http://www.heraldnet.com/news/grandmoth ... -shooting/
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I have a multitude of questions -- not about hardware used or tactics, but about the things that ultimately lead one human being to prey on others. Kudos to those who once again stepped up and did what they could to protect the innocent. Theirs are the names to be remembered and honored.

May God grant his peace and understanding to all affected by this and other such seemingly-senseless violent crimes.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 92

Post by philip964 »

https://www.buzzfeed.com/briannasacks/t ... .hnlBROQAn

The shooter posted a comment to a youtube video using his real name. "I'm going to be a professional school shooter." The man who posted the video saw the comment and sent a note to the FBI. The FBI gave him a visit. He said he didn't know the person who made the comment, youtube took down the comment. The FBI called him after the shooting.

One report said the shooter used an AR-15.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”