The "Riot Mentality" of School Shootings

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Re: The "Riot Mentality" of School Shootings

Post by Flightmare »

Allons wrote:
cdwieg wrote:I have not stayed current on all of the news coming from the Santa Fe shooting. However, I did read an article (linked below) where the father was interviewed by the Wall Street Journal. He (the father) indicated his kid was a "good boy" but he had been bullied and "mistreated at the school". From the article, "Antonios Pagourtzis wouldn’t comment in his interview with the Journal on how his son acquired the weapons."

This is on the parents as much as it is on the kid. Lock up the guns and ammo and the percentages and probability of the shooting goes way down. You want to tighten the gun laws... put it on the parents to be responsible enough to lock up the guns if they have anyone in their house - minor or otherwise.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/father-of- ... 1526920563

:iagree: If these weapons were locked up and secured this could have been prevented.
Locking up the guns and ammo would have prevented the shooting aspect. However, that would not have prevented the IEDs the kid made.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

Allons wrote:
cdwieg wrote:I have not stayed current on all of the news coming from the Santa Fe shooting. However, I did read an article (linked below) where the father was interviewed by the Wall Street Journal. He (the father) indicated his kid was a "good boy" but he had been bullied and "mistreated at the school". From the article, "Antonios Pagourtzis wouldn’t comment in his interview with the Journal on how his son acquired the weapons."

This is on the parents as much as it is on the kid. Lock up the guns and ammo and the percentages and probability of the shooting goes way down. You want to tighten the gun laws... put it on the parents to be responsible enough to lock up the guns if they have anyone in their house - minor or otherwise.

:iagree: If these weapons were locked up and secured this could have been prevented.
Classic bad parenting. We have a parent who takes no responsibly for himself raising a son who blame's others for his problems.

It is common for schizophrenia onset in late teens

It is clear that most mass attackers are looking for infamy. What is sad is that the media continues to give it to them.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPBrown »

SewTexas wrote:y'all realize this guy could, and apparently probably will, get out before he's 60....? Paxton isn't happy and is trying to work out something, but didn't sound hopeful yesterday.
IANAL but it would seem that they could hold separate trials for each victim and then stack the sentences instead of having them run concurrently.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Allons
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Allons »

RPBrown wrote:
SewTexas wrote:y'all realize this guy could, and apparently probably will, get out before he's 60....? Paxton isn't happy and is trying to work out something, but didn't sound hopeful yesterday.
IANAL but it would seem that they could hold separate trials for each victim and then stack the sentences instead of having them run concurrently.

:thumbs2: That would be awesome!
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Allons wrote:

Well........maybe.

How many people with gun safes would lock their guns up to prevent their 17 year old from getting access? Unless the 17 year old was known to have issues, I doubt most people would. The 17 year old may even know the combination in most cases. On the site, we have congratulated teenagers who have used their parents guns to defend themselves at home. I don't think requiring guns to be locked up will prevent the next similar tragedy.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WTR »

I don't believe gun safes are the answer either. Education and familiarity with weapons along with good parenting is. A healthy doseof respect for your parents does goes along way to controlling your actions. I know I never wanted to bring shame and embarrassment to my parents.

cdwieg
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cdwieg »

@MechAg94 and @WTR... those are valid thoughts and I believe there is no single solution. However, as society and culture has changed, parents should change with the times and step up their game. When I was a kid we had a gun cabinet full of guns and ammo and it was never locked. Back then we were taught values and respect so the thought of grabbing a gun out of the case without permission never entered my mind.

Fast forward a few decades and I have a 900lb gun safe that is never left open and the only other person that knows the combo is my wife and that's the way it will always be regardless of the ages of the children or other family members. On top of that, the safe is in a separate room with an enhanced door locking mechanism. But the children wouldn't ever think of going in there without our permission.

In my opinion it needs to start with the parents first. Educate the children on all topics of respect, attitude and demeanor and how to identify the "right" people to associate with as compared to the "wrong" people. Educate them on firearms and to be able to identify a potentially bad situation (e.g. another kid playing with a gun or gasoline) and how to safely remove themselves from that scenario.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

MechAg94 wrote:
Allons wrote:

Well........maybe.

How many people with gun safes would lock their guns up to prevent their 17 year old from getting access? Unless the 17 year old was known to have issues, I doubt most people would. The 17 year old may even know the combination in most cases. On the site, we have congratulated teenagers who have used their parents guns to defend themselves at home. I don't think requiring guns to be locked up will prevent the next similar tragedy.
I would. "Normal" teenage thinking and emotions are variable and unpredictable, at least in my parenting experience. While I don't think my kids are suicidal, I am not going to risk finding out after the fact. The issue is moot while I have a sub-14 year old in the house anyway, as I think it's criminal negligence to let under age children potentially access a firearm. Hence my non-carried guns are locked up in a safe, and I alone have the key.

This is not the way I grew up. There were between 20 and 30 firearms (mostly .22s and deer rifles) in the house that I grew up in.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

J.R.@A&M wrote:
MechAg94 wrote:
Allons wrote:

Well........maybe.

I would. "Normal" teenage thinking and emotions are variable and unpredictable, at least in my parenting experience. While I don't think my kids are suicidal, I am not going to risk finding out after the fact. The issue is moot while I have a sub-14 year old in the house anyway, as I think it's criminal negligence to let under age children potentially access a firearm. Hence my non-carried guns are locked up in a safe, and I alone have the key.

This is not the way I grew up. There were between 20 and 30 firearms (mostly .22s and deer rifles) in the house that I grew up in.
What do you consider an" under age child" ?

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

WTR wrote:
J.R.@A&M wrote:
MechAg94 wrote:
Allons wrote:

Well........maybe.

When I wrote that I was thinking whatever age that Texas criminalizes unsupervised access, and I thought it was 14. But it looks like from Texas Penal Code 46.13 it's age 17 (specifically involving child access to loaded firearms).

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

J.R.@A&M wrote:
WTR wrote:
J.R.@A&M wrote:
MechAg94 wrote:
Allons wrote:

Well........maybe.

When I wrote that I was thinking whatever age that Texas criminalizes unsupervised access, and I thought it was 14. But it looks like from Texas Penal Code 46.13 it's age 17 (specifically involving child access to loaded firearms).
Interesting, we trust a kid with a multi- ton vehicle at 15 and 16 years of age, but not a firearm.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

WTR wrote:
J.R.@A&M wrote:
WTR wrote:
J.R.@A&M wrote:
MechAg94 wrote:
Allons wrote:

Well........maybe.

Interesting, we trust a kid with a multi- ton vehicle at 15 and 16 years of age, but not a firearm.
Yes. And I know kids that I would trust with a firearm, as well as adults whom I wouldn't.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

:iagree: whole heartedly.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

My main concern is what are you advocating?

A. Suggestion and encouragement people to lock up their guns with kids around?
B. Mandatory law requiring guns to be locked up?

If it is B, I very strongly disagree.

Allons

Post by Allons »

WTR wrote::iagree: whole heartedly.

Me too.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Return to “The Crime Blotter”