MO: Mom murdered in front of 3 children by carjacker

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Re: MO: Mom murdered in front of 3 children by carjacker

Post by Paladin »

Allons wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:04 pm Not much you can do when someone sneaks up behind you and fire shots as your turning around.
Maintaining awareness is THE most important combat skill. Observe is the first letter in the OODA loop. You must observe before you can make any decisions or act. If you are not aware of your environment the bad guys can sneak up on you and crush your skull with a brick. With 3 kids to manage I imagine maintaining awareness was challenging for Ms. Owens. It is best to train everyone in the family on the basics of awareness and threat communication, so that as a group, your family is more difficult to surprise.

In the far east they take awareness to more esoteric dimensions like sensing "sakki" also known as the "force of the killer". You need some serious ninja skillz for that ;-)
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Even psychopaths might pause in their ways if the same treatment as they might want to mete out would be waiting for them when caught....

Allons
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Allons »

Abraham wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:24 pm Even psychopaths might pause in their ways if the same treatment as they might want to mete out would be waiting for them when caught....
:iagree: No need to be worried when you know you're going to get 3 hots and a cot for punishment. Yeah, you might not be free, but you're alive.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

BBYC
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BBYC »

Paladin wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:03 pm Maintaining awareness is THE most important combat skill. Observe is the first letter in the OODA loop. You must observe before you can make any decisions or act. If you are not aware of your environment the bad guys can sneak up on you and crush your skull with a brick.
"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." - JC
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:15 am
Allons wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:04 pm Not much you can do when someone sneaks up behind you and fire shots as your turning around. To kill a woman in front of her children like that shows that this maggot needs to be put out of his misery. Cases like this should be an automatic death penalty he has already confessed and was caught with some of her stuff in his house. Unfortunately, he will go to prison on the taxpayers.
This, right here, is why I support the death penalty- and doing it quick, not after 40 years of bull appeals.
I agree. Anyone who contributes to the death of another while in commission of a felony should be eligible for the death penalty. I just don't get how this is not a death penalty situation right here. It should be.

03Lightningrocks

Paladin wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:03 pm
Allons wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:04 pm Not much you can do when someone sneaks up behind you and fire shots as your turning around.
Maintaining awareness is THE most important combat skill. Observe is the first letter in the OODA loop. You must observe before you can make any decisions or act. If you are not aware of your environment the bad guys can sneak up on you and crush your skull with a brick. With 3 kids to manage I imagine maintaining awareness was challenging for Ms. Owens. It is best to train everyone in the family on the basics of awareness and threat communication, so that as a group, your family is more difficult to surprise.

In the far east they take awareness to more esoteric dimensions like sensing "sakki" also known as the "force of the killer". You need some serious ninja skillz for that ;-)
I am constantly pounding this into my daughter. I really worry when she is out with my grand daughter in her car. She is so vulnerable when putting my grand daughter in and out of that damned car seat.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oljames3 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:44 pm
Paladin wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:03 pm

I am constantly pounding this into my daughter. I really worry when she is out with my grand daughter in her car. She is so vulnerable when putting my grand daughter in and out of that damned car seat.
Cars are transitional spaces in which attackers can ambush us and leave quickly, even more so when we are distracted. The link below is to an Active Self Protection video. The video touches on transitional spaces and awareness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y6hyxGgLoA
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

03Lightningrocks

oljames3 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:00 pm
Cars are transitional spaces in which attackers can ambush us and leave quickly, even more so when we are distracted. The link below is to an Active Self Protection video. The video touches on transitional spaces and awareness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y6hyxGgLoA
I can't stop watching his vids. Great video's of ASP

Return to “The Crime Blotter”