AMAZING! Las Vegas shootout while driving

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: AMAZING! Las Vegas shootout while driving

Post by WTR »

I would take exception to the statement concerning bullet travel. You are not going through a vertical sheet of plate, tempered or laminated glass ( there is also a different among of deflection in the three types). The Officer was shooting through a sheet of non vertcle laminated glass while trying to maintain control of his vehicle. No telling where the projectiles landed. Luckily no innocents where injured .

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

That is a very good read. It points out that the "fog of war" is very real. It also emphasizes that training is critical when working as a team, whether a SWAT team or Mom and Dad defending the family.

Chas.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Graphic demonstration of the loss of fine motor skills. Getting shot at will do that for you.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I suspect most people that criticize and second guess those that have had to use their weapons in a shootout or dangerous confrontation with weapons have never been in such a situation. If they have, I bet there were quite a few things that could be critiqued or criticized.

If this cop would have broken of the chase and these thugs ended up killing another person, there would be plenty of people criticizing him and wanting him to lose his job and badge.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Looked to me like most of the chase was on arterials. Yes the potental for collateral damage was there, but it was already outweighed by what the perps were spraying around. If they had been going down the Vegas strip, it would have been different.

Glock 17, stoked from magazine only (not 17+1). I suspect he has not been trained to count his rounds. I thought his recovery on the 180'ed magazine was decent under the circumstances; yes, it would have been better if he indexed properly. Reloading prior to slide lock (especially on a Glock) would have been good too.....

The job got done, hopefully no signficant collateral damage we didn't hear about.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Rob72 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:08 am
flowrie wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:13 pm The deflection of the bullet by the windshield is unknown, so you have no idea where the bullets are really going.
Nope, and yep, you do. ;-)

I should have stated, the deflection of the bullet by the windshield is unknown by the officer, notice the spread of shots fired through the windshield, many different angles, he has no idea where each round is going. Each shot fired is contacting the windshield at a different angle, so each deflection is different.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Return to “The Crime Blotter”