CO: Aurora Police kill Homeowner that killed Intruder

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Re: CO: Aurora Police kill Homeowner that killed Intruder

Post by C-dub »

bblhd672 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:29 am
C-dub wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:56 am
bblhd672 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:09 pm
Abraham wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:48 pm I hope there's more to this story that makes it ok for the local L.E. do what they did.

If not, they all need to be investigated, tried and if found guilty of wrong doing, pay the price!

We all know no charges will be filed against the police.
You never know.
http://www.fox4news.com/news/ex-balch-s ... las-county
The trial of a former Balch Springs police officer charged with murdering a 15-year-old boy will take place in Dallas County as originally planned.
What I should have said is there may be charges filed, but there won’t be a conviction.
That may end up being true. The officer had little information and had no idea what was going on other than hearing shots fired. Was it a lucky shot or did he actually have the victim in his sights? Did the victim point his gun at any of the officers? If he did and didn't know the police were there and may have thought they were additional intruders? We'll never know that!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Post by philip964 »

A good reminder to reholster when outside or put the gun down when in your home, after threat neutralized.

Police are human. They see a gun as a threat.

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

Citizens are human too. Do we get the same pass if we shoot uninvited people with guns on our property?
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

bigtek wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:40 pm Citizens are human too. Do we get the same pass if we shoot uninvited people with guns on our property?
Nope, you don't!

Rubicon

Post by Rubicon »

flechero wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:45 pm
bigtek wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:40 pm Citizens are human too. Do we get the same pass if we shoot uninvited people with guns on our property?
Nope, you don't!
Of course not. Kiri-sute gomen is not bilateral.
the die is cast

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Didn't the wife call the police?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question. Who are you saying got the pass? The officer that shot the homeowner or the homeowner for shooting the intruder that was assaulting his grandson?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

spectre
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by spectre »

Why am I not surprised?
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Video of the incident is out.

Police shot him without him ever raising his firearm....
Infer from that what you will.
The shoot is at 1:23

https://youtu.be/xJRQCrCXV8w

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:27 am Video of the incident is out.

Police shot him without him ever raising his firearm....
Infer from that what you will.
The shoot is at 1:23

https://youtu.be/xJRQCrCXV8w
I can see how he got shot, but I also see a problem. Although the officer shouted to drop the gun, he never identified himself as being a police officer. The victim has just been involved in a home invasion and had to shoot an attacker. I can see his reluctance to drop his handgun without knowing it was a police officer. It's also quite possible he was suffering from auditory exclusion and simply didn't hear or understand t he officer's commands. He never raised his gun, but he did point his flashlight at the officer. I presume he was trying to see who was telling him to drop the gun.

I can say that when I was an officer, I would not have fired at the time this officer fired on the victim.

This is truly a tragic event.
Chas.

PriestTheRunner

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:02 pm I can see how he got shot, but I also see a problem. Although the officer shouted to drop the gun, he never identified himself as being a police officer. The victim has just been involved in a home invasion and had to shoot an attacker. I can see his reluctance to drop his handgun without knowing it was a police officer. It's also quite possible he was suffering from auditory exclusion and simply didn't hear or understand t he officer's commands. He never raised his gun, but he did point his flashlight at the officer. I presume he was trying to see who was telling him to drop the gun.

I can say that when I was an officer, I would not have fired at the time this officer fired on the victim.

This is truly a tragic event.
Chas.
Also, note that the officer had his flashlight on him the whole time. Without auditory commands or notification that he was a LEO (which he may not have heard), he also cannot see who is telling him this due to the light blinding him.

I know the gun can come up in an instant, but considering he was holding it right up against his body and wasn't informed of leo's presence, this is a bad shoot IMO.

Although criminal charges aren't being pressed, I do wonder what the internal investigation will reveal. I also hope that family will sue, as that is the only legal recourse against police departments getting too quick on the trigger.

Overall it seems to have been a no-win situation for the homeowner and maybe even the leo. Previously it was stated that the wife on the phone gave a description of the attacker and the husband. If so, the dispatcher needs some reprimand as well, as the root cause of this incident was lack of information.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

philip964 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:40 am A good reminder to reholster when outside or put the gun down when in your home, after threat neutralized.

Here is the problem. In the updated link, it shows the homeowner in a robe with a flashlight and a gun. Given that picture in the police body cam, it is unlikely that re-holstering was possible.

It appears that the homeowner did not heed multiple commands to put the gun down. He may have been concerned that the intruder had friends outside who were an additional threat as he shined his flashlight at them.
https://kdvr.com/2018/12/03/da-no-charg ... homeowner/
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bblhd672 »

chasfm11 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:06 am .It appears that the homeowner did not heed multiple commands to put the gun down.
The homeowner had just fired his handgun inside the house, his hearing was probably impaired at that point.

As I’ve said many times before, most police departments seem to have adopted a “shoot first, justify later” mindset. Perhaps that’s part of the agenda to influence the citizens not to arm themselves for self defense.

Regardless it’s a horrible situation for the homeowner and the responding officers to be involved in.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

spectre
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by spectre »

More and more it sounds safer not to call the cops until your lawyer is on the scene.
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

PriestTheRunner

chasfm11 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:06 am
philip964 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:40 am A good reminder to reholster when outside or put the gun down when in your home, after threat neutralized.

Here is the problem. In the updated link, it shows the homeowner in a robe with a flashlight and a gun. Given that picture in the police body cam, it is unlikely that re-holstering was possible.

It appears that the homeowner did not heed multiple commands to put the gun down. He may have been concerned that the intruder had friends outside who were an additional threat as he shined his flashlight at them.
https://kdvr.com/2018/12/03/da-no-charg ... homeowner/
This is a very good point.... How do you reholster when you're not wearing a holster.

The bad thing is this is basically the exact same thing I could see happening in my house, even with 'proper' tactics, and it still resulted in the homeowner getting killed.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”