Paul Manafort Trial

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Paul Manafort Trial

Post by Abraham »

Why would the names of those on the jury be released anyway...?

So they can be targeted by the leftist press, crazies, or a whole host of others who might mean them harm?

No wonder most people don't care to serve on juries, especially when a trial is controversial...

flechero
Posts in topic: 8

Post by flechero »

Abraham wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:01 am Why would the names of those on the jury be released anyway...?

So they can be targeted by the leftist press, crazies, or a whole host of others who might mean them harm?

No wonder most people don't care to serve on juries, especially when a trial is controversial...
:iagree:

If I were on that Jury, I might risk contempt and send a note to the judge saying if he planned to release our names, we would not reach a verdict.

rtschl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rtschl »

flechero wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:40 am
Abraham wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:01 am Why would the names of those on the jury be released anyway...?

If I were on that Jury, I might risk contempt and send a note to the judge saying if he planned to release our names, we would not reach a verdict.
If they are following instructions to not watch/read/listen to anything about the trial or participants they wouldn't know about media's request to dox them.
Ron
NRA Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

rtschl,

ok, and the point is...?

I hope that a request by the media for the names on the jury is just that and is ignored by the judge.

The media can 'request' all they care to, but it's not a mandate for the judge to obey...

Putting out peoples names in this case could be detrimental to the juror's health and livlihood.

The media/press can go suck eggs...

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 7

Post by philip964 »

Addresses not released. Judge says he's been threatened. Now has armed Marshals guarding him.

Jury asked a question. So obviously it was not a slam dunk case either way.

Apparently Manafort is not out of the woods yet, even if he is found not guilty, they have another case against him.

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

Abraham wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:30 am rtschl,

ok, and the point is...?

I hope that a request by the media for the names on the jury is just that and is ignored by the judge.

The media can 'request' all they care to, but it's not a mandate for the judge to obey...

Putting out peoples names in this case could be detrimental to the juror's health and livlihood.

The media/press can go suck eggs...
I don't disagree. The judge should not release that information. But my point is that the jurors may not know that the media is trying to out them and may be unaware of the danger they could be in.
Ron
NRA Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Citizens: Be a juror, it's your civic duty, most especially in a controversial trial.

Ah, no, no thanks.

I prefer not being a target, unless you judge can assure me my confidentiality as a juror is maintained before, during, and well after the trial is complete.

Or, can I assume my name, address, age, height, photo will be never be released to the press/media vultures...

Yes?

No?

What say you judge?

flechero
Posts in topic: 8

Post by flechero »

rtschl wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:25 am
flechero wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:40 am

If they are following instructions to not watch/read/listen to anything about the trial or participants they wouldn't know about media's request to dox them.

But they aren't sequestered, are they ? I'm guessing spouses and other family members are seeing the news and that jurors are aware of this.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

CNN, WaPo, NYT and NBC asked for their names and addresses.

So if the jury finds him Guilty do they really care. But if they find him not guilty - will it be a witch hunt looking for an excuse - jury was biased - jury was manipulated by controversial judge?

Are they thinking he will be found not guilty?

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

philip964 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:08 pm CNN, WaPo, NYT and NBC asked for their names and addresses.

So if the jury finds him Guilty do they really care. But if they find him not guilty - will it be a witch hunt looking for an excuse - jury was biased - jury was manipulated by controversial judge?

The media made this request and publicized it as a way to intimidate the jury. If your son or daughter was a jury member would you warn her?
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

TreyHouston wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:50 pm
philip964 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:08 pm CNN, WaPo, NYT and NBC asked for their names and addresses.

The media made this request and publicized it as a way to intimidate the jury. If your son or daughter was a jury member would you warn her?
Aah! Find him guilty or else Antifa shows up at your house and kills you and your family.

apostate
Posts in topic: 1

Post by apostate »

I can think of no reason to release that information except to facilitate jury tampering.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”