ISIS murders two American bicycle tourists in Tajikistan

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

ISIS murders two American bicycle tourists in Tajikistan

Post by philip964 »

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/07/worl ... ttack.html

They wanted to experience the world and its people and maybe teach the world to sing in perfect harmony.

RIP

Allons
Posts in topic: 1

Re: ISIS murders two American bicycle tourists in Tajikistan

Post by Allons »

Very sad indeed, I'm all for traveling the world, however, some places you just can't go.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

RIP

So were these two just sitting at their kitchen table one morning, drinking coffee, and then all of a sudden agreed on bicycling through Tajikistan?

Future Bicyclists should do two things:

1. Go to www.state.gov and read the travel advisories, especially the ones on every country that ends in "stan".

2. Think about what happens when bicycles are brought to gunfights in places where you are unarmed and everybody else in the country isn't.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Prayers sent for their families and friends!
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bblhd672 »

Evil is a make-believe concept we’ve invented to deal with the complexities of fellow humans holding values and beliefs and perspectives different than our own
Nope, it’s real.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

lama

Post by lama »

bblhd672 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:44 am
Evil is a make-believe concept we’ve invented to deal with the complexities of fellow humans holding values and beliefs and perspectives different than our own
Nope, it’s real.
The second half of his quote is spot on though.
By and large, humans are kind. Self-interested sometimes, myopic sometimes, but kind. Generous and wonderful and kind.”
by and large they are, that does not prove evil isn't real. sigh.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Hobo philsophy: “With that vulnerability comes immense generosity: good folks who will recognize your helplessness and recognize that you need assistance in one form or another and offer it in spades,” he wrote.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bblhd672 »

Rob72 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:27 am

At HUD at the end of each year, you could ask for a higher salary or more vacation,”
:banghead:

Reason #4,930,203,048,841 why government spending is out of control. We'll never vote our way out of the mess the DC establishment has made of the country, at least not in my lifetime.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Speaking of danger on 2 wheels, recently about 12 American motorcyclists left Anchorage, Alaska
to start a 24,000 mile trip to the southern tip of Argentina.

Although I didn't check the maps of their route, wouldn't they have to traverse the violence-filled
climes of El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Columbia?

What could possibly go wrong as they pilot their $20,000 motorcycles through these impoverished lands?

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

You know that the security guard at the Nuke plant in Cape Town Africa was saying to himself “what idiots”. I read more and more stories about people quitting their jobs and doing stuff like this. If you are financially set for life then I see no issue. I think many people today rely on our welfare in one way or another. They want to quit their jobs but have the govt pay when they screw up. Whether it’s SNAP, SS, free medical etc their plan usually relys on the govt in some way.

It stated this guy saved up and lived a minimalistic lifestyle but I want to ask these people what their retirement plans are. If you never save where will the money come from when you want to retire? What happens when your health gets to where you cannot work? What happens when you can no longer bum off family? I think attitudes would change if our tax dollars didn’t subsidize this behavior. I can understand not wanting to go to work every day but that’s just a reality adults face. I wish we lived in the days prior to welfare where only family and the church was there to fall back on, you either worked or didn’t eat. That’s the way it should be.

It may seem cold but I have no remorse for these people, they chose their path and lost their lives due to bad decisions. I’d liken it to those people on social media filming themselves doing dangerous things (like hanging off sky scrapers) and dying in the process. They chose to live dangerously. Heck, they got lucky they made it as far as they did without being killed and honestly many people would have killed them in more horrific ways. They were adults and faced the consequences for their actions. There are people in every country on this planet that will help us given the chance but also those that will hurt us given the right opportunity. I live my life with that in mind.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Don't leave Texas, cocked and locked 1911, head on a swivel, enjoy the view, laugh at the idiots!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

I’m not a risk taker.

I pick low risk vacations.

In April I took my wife and her father in law to Spain, France and Italy.

We put 3000 miles on a rental car. They have nice interstate highways just like in the US.

I drove over that same bridge that collapsed in Genoa, Italy the day before, not once, but twice.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Here’s what the travel advisory says now. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... isory.html I would think the same could apply through all the ancient Silk Road Countries.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

For many people, risk adds to the enjoyment or, in some cases, is the main attraction. Whether it's roller coasters, adventure travel, or sports like skiing. People make choices and accept the risk for the potential reward.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”