Draw to Help a Firefighter?

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
kayt00
Posts in topic: 2

Draw to Help a Firefighter?

Post by kayt00 »

This was in the news this morning. Would this have been another situation to draw your weapon to assist a oubluc servant?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wfaa. ... -587985153
Firefighters were being chased so they ran to lock themselves in the fire engine and called DPD for help. But no DPD officers were available.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Draw to Help a Firefighter?

Post by Liberty »

It seems to me that DFD, were had the situation reasonably controlled, as described by the news article, I would have stood a safe distance away been a good witness, and been prepared to draw if things changed. Drawing prematurely could escalate things real fast.

But yeah, if things got any worse, It would call for taking a more active position.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Took DPD 15 minutes to respond while firefighters were under attack. Can you say Detroit?
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Liberty wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:57 am It seems to me that DFD, were had the situation reasonably controlled, as described by the news article, I would have stood a safe distance away been a good witness, and been prepared to draw if things changed. Drawing prematurely could escalate things real fast.

But yeah, if things got any worse, It would call for taking a more active position.
:iagree:
For me, using deadly force is the last option. DFD firefighters had the situation under control such that I could not add anything. Again, each situation has its own considerations.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

Maybe its just bad Hollywood but I saw this and remembered a line from American History X where Danny and Derricks dad (two main characters) was killed whilst doing his job as a Firefighter.
Public servants shouldn't have to deal with this stuff, and frankly its infuriating that they do. Maybe if more people carried. I can see a situation like this becoming tragic if that were the case however.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I would be a good witness first, and if things escalated, I would help in any way possible including deadly force.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I don't see haw drawing your gun would have helped at all in this particular situation. The maniac was trying to attack several fireman with a knife. I do not think he would have backed down from a private citizen with a gun. If anything, drawing a weapon under these circumstances escalates the situation. The firemen had the situation under control, they just needed the PD to show up with handcuffs and arresting authority.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

I would have offered the Firefighters zip ties and/or duct tape (usually have at least one of those in the truck). Too redneck a solution?
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Editor's note: After the publication of the story, Dallas police released a statement explaining the timeline of the incident. Police are reviewing why the call was downgraded at the 911 center. Since the incident, a new directive from Dallas Fire-Rescue to its crew is effective immediately. All DFR crews will respond to calls of violent crimes, but will park a safe distance away and wait for Dallas police to show up.
I don't understand why the fire department would roll on a violent crime call in the first place. Seems like they would have better things to do..like fires and rescues.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Fire hose him into submission.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ELB

Post by ELB »

bblhd672 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:17 am
I don't understand why the fire department would roll on a violent crime call in the first place. Seems like they would have better things to do..like fires and rescues.
1. Violent calls often provide things for fire department to do (note that this one include the suspect setting fire to things.). FD’s often have rescue capabilities that are useful, like medical 1st responders, ladders, lights, tools to open things, etc.

2. Calls to 911 are often remarkably short on details, and often the situation on scene is completely different than what was reported (or what the dispatcher understood). So it’s not unusual to send all the cavalry’s horses until the incident commander figures out how much help he really needs and sends units back home.

3. Sometimes things just get screwed up. I responded to a medical call for chest pain that was toned out to our VFD. I found my patient sitting on a chair in the driveway holding his chest. As I started to deal with him a deputy rolled up, which was normal since they responded to all medical calls. But when deputy asked “where’s the guy threatening people?” and my patient said “he’s in the house” i suddenly found out this was more than just chest pain. Turns out the patient’s uncle had been threatening to beat up his nephew and chasing him around the house, and nephew (about 50-something) developed shortness of breath and chest pain. Dispatch did not warn me to “stage for deputies”.
USAF 1982-2005

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

Let me see, firefighters call in an emergency help request a civillian decides to draw his gun to "protect" them. The cops roll up and the first thing they see is a person with a gun, sounds like a good way to get shot. How could anybody reasonably think that the cops would know who the bad guy actually is at the moment they show up? All they will see is a man with a gun and that has the potential to end very badly....
Salty1

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Salty1 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:41 pm Let me see, firefighters call in an emergency help request a civillian decides to draw his gun to "protect" them. The cops roll up and the first thing they see is a person with a gun, sounds like a good way to get shot. How could anybody reasonably think that the cops would know who the bad guy actually is at the moment they show up? All they will see is a man with a gun and that has the potential to end very badly....
To me this is the same argument that many used against campus carry. While I agree, this is not the time for drawing your weapon, I agree on separate terms. This statement sort of discredits the police’ (police is both plural and singular correct?) judgement. We take this risk ANY time one decides to use lethal force, or display for that matter. Second off, if any of the responding firemen are being dilligent in the situation they are notifying the police via radio, who is who, before they even arive on scene. Once again I don’t disagree with you, just different perspective.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”