TX: Trooper vs BG shootout

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: Keith B, carlson1

Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
ELB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 6523
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

TX: Trooper vs BG shootout

#1

Post by ELB » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:50 am

This happened more or less in my neighborhood back in Feb. It started close to where I work in Guadalupe County and proceeded westbound on I10 to Bexar County.

The helicopter has a really good camera. Trooper wounded right arm, can see tourniquet on it (looks like he might have initiated self-application). Later recovered. Bad guy shot (abdomen I think), died next day.





Also with story

https://www.ksat.com/news/watch-dramati ... er-suspect
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:


Chaparral
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Re: TX: Trooper vs BG shootout

#2

Post by Chaparral » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:27 pm

Glad the trooper was OK. Looks like a second trooper with an AR neutralized the threat pretty quickly.


LeonCarr
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: DFW

Re: TX: Trooper vs BG shootout

#3

Post by LeonCarr » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:46 pm

One observation I noticed from watching the video...Montelongo is shooting from a Quasi-FBI Crouch, Isosceles Stance, behind cover/concealment.

IMO that is not the first time he has shot a handgun.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Last edited by LeonCarr on Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

User avatar

Scott B.
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1155
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:46 am
Location: Harris County

Re: TX: Trooper vs BG shootout

#4

Post by Scott B. » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:55 pm

Moving on the car when the bad guy was barricaded was an interesting choice. Nice to see DPS with some good tech for their aviation unit. Sweet how the camera locked on to the target and stayed slaved to it for the flight to the hospital. All they need is a guided 'less lethal' air launched missile. Put an end to those car chases real quick.
LTC / SSO Instructor. NRA - Instructor, RSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

User avatar

PriestTheRunner
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:33 pm

Re: TX: Trooper vs BG shootout

#5

Post by PriestTheRunner » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:05 pm

Scott B. wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:55 pm
Moving on the car when the bad guy was barricaded was an interesting choice. Nice to see DPS with some good tech for their aviation unit. Sweet how the camera locked on to the target and stayed slaved to it for the flight to the hospital. All they need is a guided 'less lethal' air launched missile. Put an end to those car chases real quick.
You mean something like this???? :D


flechero
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2213
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: TX: Trooper vs BG shootout

#6

Post by flechero » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:23 pm

LeonCarr wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:46 pm
One observation I noticed from watching the video...Montelongo is shooting from a Quasi-FBI Crouch, Isosceles Stance, behind cover/concealment.

IMO that is not the first time he has shot a handgun.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
I agree, and he came up quick and got a hit... I doubt it was pure luck.

User avatar

Scott B.
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1155
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:46 am
Location: Harris County

Re: TX: Trooper vs BG shootout

#7

Post by Scott B. » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:31 pm

PriestTheRunner wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:05 pm
Scott B. wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:55 pm
Moving on the car when the bad guy was barricaded was an interesting choice. Nice to see DPS with some good tech for their aviation unit. Sweet how the camera locked on to the target and stayed slaved to it for the flight to the hospital. All they need is a guided 'less lethal' air launched missile. Put an end to those car chases real quick.
You mean something like this???? :D
An inert small diameter bomb is a good start. I would also accept a crowbar from near earth orbit or a small radius EMP shot :coolgleamA:
LTC / SSO Instructor. NRA - Instructor, RSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

User avatar

Topic author
ELB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 6523
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: TX: Trooper vs BG shootout

#8

Post by ELB » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:59 pm

Scott B. wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:55 pm
.. Sweet how the camera locked on to the target and stayed slaved to it for the flight to the hospital. ...
I figured it that's just the stowed position (pointing straight aft and parallel to the fuselage in a protected position) but the crew did not turn off the camera.
Last edited by ELB on Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:

User avatar

Topic author
ELB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 6523
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: TX: Trooper vs BG shootout

#9

Post by ELB » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:01 pm

LeonCarr wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:46 pm
One observation I noticed from watching the video...Montelongo is shooting from a Quasi-FBI Crouch, Isosceles Stance, behind cover/concealment.

IMO that is not the first time he has shot a handgun.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
I googled around on - he has prior criminal history, but nothing violent that shows up online: burglary of a habitation, speeding, failure to maintain financial responsibility, unauthorized use of a vehicle. Didn't find any other news on him.
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:


apostate
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2233
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:01 am

#10

Post by apostate » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:08 pm

.
Last edited by apostate on Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

jmorris
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:41 pm
Location: Cibolo
Contact:

Re: TX: Trooper vs BG shootout

#11

Post by jmorris » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:25 pm

Scott B. wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:31 pm
PriestTheRunner wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:05 pm
Scott B. wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:55 pm
Moving on the car when the bad guy was barricaded was an interesting choice. Nice to see DPS with some good tech for their aviation unit. Sweet how the camera locked on to the target and stayed slaved to it for the flight to the hospital. All they need is a guided 'less lethal' air launched missile. Put an end to those car chases real quick.
You mean something like this???? :D
An inert small diameter bomb is a good start. I would also accept a crowbar from near earth orbit or a small radius EMP shot :coolgleamA:
I believe there was a report of a small anvil labeled ACME found in the area.
Jay E Morris
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC
NRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)
Cibolo, TX

Post Reply

Return to “The Crime Blotter”