TX: Man killed after shooting up a Houston Whataburger

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 3

TX: Man killed after shooting up a Houston Whataburger

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/man- ... police-say

Shot and killed by an armed security guard at the restaurant. Came in shooting so may not have been a robbery.

12:45 am.

Good guy with a gun, ends what could have been a tragedy.

Will be referred to a grand jury.

Allons
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TX: Man killed after shooting up a Houston Whataburger

Post by Allons »

Thank you Security Guard.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I don't get the grand jury part. BG is shooting up the place. Off duty security guard takes him down. What is there to decide? If it had been an off duty copy that shot the BG would they refer it to a grand jury? If the GGWAG had been an LTC holder, would they have arrested him?
Do what you say you're gonna do.

glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

Probably. We are just vigilantes at the OK coral

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

Better to have it go to a grand jury than be arrested.
NRA Endowment Member

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Hope the guy has some kind of financial backup from his employer. The grand jury process will require legal representation, etc.
-Ruark

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by philip964 »

Lynyrd wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:17 am I don't get the grand jury part. BG is shooting up the place. Off duty security guard takes him down. What is there to decide? If it had been an off duty copy that shot the BG would they refer it to a grand jury? If the GGWAG had been an LTC holder, would they have arrested him?
We elected at Democratic DA due to the Republican DA deciding to indict the undercover reporters posing as unborn baby part buyers from California. They recorded their conversations with planned parenthood here in town. Selling of unborn baby parts is illegal. Planned parenthood even suggested altering the way they harvest the baby to avoid damaging the organs during the procedure (baby might be born alive though).

Republican DA decided that the only crime was that the undercover reporters had fake California I D's which is a crime in California, so a crime in Texas.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/25/gr ... ideos.html

So with a Democratic DA I suspect the Security Guard shooting will be presented to the Grand Jury with out charges as a matter of course and the Grand Jury will no bill the security guard. This seems to be pretty standard practice for non police shootings. They could even do it for police shootings as well. I think it is a way of keeping everthing on the up and up. The same procedure could have also have been done with the Republican DA.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Lynyrd wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:17 am I don't get the grand jury part. BG is shooting up the place. Off duty security guard takes him down. What is there to decide? If it had been an off duty copy that shot the BG would they refer it to a grand jury? If the GGWAG had been an LTC holder, would they have arrested him?
You probably want it to go before a grand jury, especially if present to grand jury without charges. A no-bill from the grand jury is much more beneficial than not going before a grand jury. Many DA's present such actions before the grand jury without charges with the intent of securing a no-bill for the defendant.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

twomillenium wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:59 am
You probably want it to go before a grand jury, especially if present to grand jury without charges. A no-bill from the grand jury is much more beneficial than not going before a grand jury. Many DA's present such actions before the grand jury without charges with the intent of securing a no-bill for the defendant.
I suspect that this is the case for this incident.
NRA Endowment Member

TomS

Post by TomS »

Good riddance.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Looks like we have another mass attack incident stopped early that won't be counted in the FBI statistics:
Many incidents with low casualty numbers are not included in lists of active shooter incidents compiled by the FBI, journalists and other groups. The FBI definition requires four (4) people to be shot in an incident. Several of the incidents discussed in Ed’s presentation – incidents where active killers were stopped early – fall below the threshold. (Only studying incidents where responses failed, ignoring those where response was successful, appears to be a pattern with FBI analysis, since they also study incidents in which officers were killed with more emphasis than they place on studying incidents in which officers stopped lethal attacks.)

Omission of that data skews public perception of the issue, such as in this NBC report on the recent Maryland incident, which states that “incidents where school resource officers stop active shooters are rare”. They can only make that claim by limiting their counting to only incidents involving school resource officers, omitting actions taken by off-duty cops, armed citizens, or even on-duty officers that were not specifically school resource officers. While the statement is factually accurate, the word choices illustrate how hidden biases of journalists (or their editors) can shape public perception of an issue.
2018 Rangemaster Tactical Conference
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

ELB

Post by ELB »

Good job by the security guard!
USAF 1982-2005

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

ELB wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:10 am Good job by the security guard!
:thumbsup: :txflag:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I didn't see or hear he was off duty. If he was, it may be an issue that he was carrying while not at his assigned duty location or going to or from. If he was off duty and not in uniform, he could have been legally carrying under a LTC.

By pointing out the possible issue doesn't mean I think he should be in trouble if he was carrying off duty. Just pointing it out the potential issue.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I think all fatal shootings are referred to the grand jury as a matter of course. They will render a decision, and it will be part of the record to close the case. All fatalities, caused by another person, are ruled a homicide. Even if it was justifiable. Since the DA, at least for now, is not seeking an indictment, he should have no worries.JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “The Crime Blotter”