TX: SA off duty police officer suspended for 15 days after being shot 6 Times in the torso

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

TX: SA off duty police officer suspended for 15 days after being shot 6 Times in the torso

Post by philip964 »

https://www.ksat.com/news/sapd-officer- ... -paralyzed

This apparently is getting a lot of discussion in San Antonio.

My take away:

Don’t drink to much.

It sucks when you shoot accurately, but didn’t buy a big enough gun.

Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TX: SA off duty police officer suspended for 15 days after being shot 6 Times in the torso

Post by Killadocg23 »

philip964 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:31 pm https://www.ksat.com/news/sapd-officer- ... -paralyzed

My take away:

Don’t drink to much.

What do you mean as in Caliber? My wife has a .40 but was thinking about going to a 9mm.

Topic author
philip964

Re: TX: SA off duty police officer suspended for 15 days after being shot 6 Times in the torso

Post by philip964 »

Killadocg23 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:04 am
philip964 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:31 pm https://www.ksat.com/news/sapd-officer- ... -paralyzed

My take away:

Don’t drink to much.

What do you mean as in Caliber? My wife has a .40 but was thinking about going to a 9mm.
Yes. I'm not sure how you get 6 torso shots and have enough life in you to run back to your car grab you gun and fire back. I'm thinking .22 was this other guys gun.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

philip964 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:16 am
Yes. I'm not sure how you get 6 torso shots and have enough life in you to run back to your car grab you gun and fire back. I'm thinking .22 was this other guys gun.
I was wondering the same. Six shots from a larger caliber would surely have left him debilitated.

warpdrive

Post by warpdrive »

he moral of the story? If you want to drink and drive and shoot at people, but you don't want to go to jail for being a drunken menace to society, become a cop in San Antonio. :banghead:
186,000 miles per second
It's not just a good idea, it's the law.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Further updates:

The police officer in this incident was intoxicated. He received a 15 day suspension for that and for language he used, and he was kicked off the police academy staff.

The other guy was accused of confronting the police officer over an alleged road rage incident, and ultimately charged with two counts of aggravated assault, one for the cop and one for a woman in the other guy's car who was grazed by a bullet (so far I have not found it specified "whose" bullet). The other guy was also rendered a paraplegic from being shot by the officer, cannot work at his trade (barber) now.

The grand jury declined to indict the other guy and all charges have been dismissed. Wow.

The SAPD officer passed the other guy on I-10 and pulled into Callaghan road.
The other guy was taking the woman, his cousin, to the strip club where the shooting took place. It says he was taking her there to "dance", and given that this was a strip club, it sounds like she worked there.
The SAPD officer says he stopped at the strip club to "call his wife."

I think a lawsuit and a settlement are in the future.

Former UTSA-area barber cleared of charges in shootout with off-duty officer outside S.A. strip club

Graphic crime scene photos show aftermath of gun battle outside strip club involving SAPD officer
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

philip964 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:16 am ...
At one of the links in my post just above there are a bunch of pictures. There is little identification with them, but two handguns are pictured.

One is a baby Glock with a doublestack magazine. I don't know exact number, but I presume this was the SAPD officer's gun, probably department approved backup/offduty gun. I would also presume the officer would have loaded it with whatever the department approves, and I'm sure it is hollowpoint. One of those rounds seems to have struck the other guy in the spine and rendered his legs useless.

The other is a Taurus G2c 9mm. There's a picture of its magazine with a FMJ 9mm round next to it, and I will further presume it is likely an lesser cost 115grain target round, not loaded to premium self-defense cartridge power. I would not want to be shot with it, but I could see that absent a hit to CNS or heart, one could be shot several times with it and still not be immediately incapacitated.

Just my guesses.

ETA:
USAF 1982-2005

stroo

Post by stroo »

Baby Face Nelson killed two FBI agents after being hit by at least one, possibly two, buckshot loads, in the legs and 3-6 45s from a Tommy Gun. Given that this officer was drinking he very well could have down what he did with 6 9 mm hits to his torso. Most people would have gone down but he had fight in him!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

ELB wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:17 pm
philip964 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:16 am ...
At one of the links in my post just above there are a bunch of pictures. There is little identification with them, but two handguns are pictured.

One is a baby Glock with a doublestack magazine.
As I scanned through those images I thought it was a 27, .40 cal.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Grumpy1993

Post by Grumpy1993 »

San Antonio cops driving drunk, road raging, shooting at people, and get to keep their jobs. Is anybody surprised?
Bonnen Lied
Gun Rights Died

southernscope86

Post by southernscope86 »

This Gun Battle will make you rethink not what caliber but how much ammo are you going to carry!

Return to “The Crime Blotter”