OH: Good gal w/ Ruger .380 kills BG brandishing Springer 9MM.

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 2
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

OH: Good gal w/ Ruger .380 kills BG brandishing Springer 9MM.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb2d4wA0Qzg

The above video is one from John Correia's Active Self Protection series. This took place in or near Cincnatti, Ohio.
<Edit has been made to correct the Ohio "C" city in which this happened. SIA>

The BG comes in brandishing a Springfield Armory 9MM. The female clerk feigns compliance and "waits her turn" to draw, while she loads his plastic Kroger bag with cash from the register. She "waits her turn" to engage him until his attention is not on her.

She blades her body to the BG to shield her draw, and quickly puts 2 rounds of .380 into him from her Ruger at bad breath range.

He is so close that he knocks her gun out of her hand, and is pointing his gun at her, but does not fire. Lucky for her.

She rushes past him, all the way out the front door, and flees her store. The robber collapses in the doorway and dies. He was 48 years old.

This woman had warrior spirit, but one of the important things that she could have done differently would be to back up a couple of steps before firing.
Since she was so close to him, he was able to disarm her by swatting her gun away. But by then, her 2 rounds of .380 were on the way to putting his lights out for good.

I was quite impressed that her .380 rounds killed this guy, since it seems he had 1 or more heavy layers of clothing on.

Comments welcomed.

SIA
Last edited by surprise_i'm_armed on Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

puma guy

Re: OH: Good gal w/ Ruger .380 kills BG brandishing Springer 9MM.

Post by puma guy »

Saw a good test and review on .380 ammo a year or two ago. Using layers of denim and ballistics gel. It proved the .380 round is capable if delivering deadly results. I can't remember if I posted it here or not, but I'll try to find it. Glad the woman was able to put down a predatory slug.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

DynamicDan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DynamicDan »

She's lucky he didn't get off a final shot

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I carry Federal HST 90gr JHP in my 380, based on test reports I have read. I am not concerned about 380 effectiveness, and it's nice to see this validating field report.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

DynamicDan wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:29 pm She's lucky he didn't get off a final shot
yes, but she's one brave young lady!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

ELB

Post by ELB »

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/ha ... y-pony-keg

The robber did try to shoot her but the District Attorney says the robber did not have a round chambered.

He also stated it was clearly justified on the woman's part.

p.s. Cincinnati, not Cleveland.
USAF 1982-2005

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I'm very glad she survived, but she did so only because the BG didn't have a round chambered and didn't have the wherewithal to do so after being shot. As the commentator noted, about 20 seconds passed from the time she shot him until he collapsed in the doorway. His gun was pointed at her at some points during that time and he could have easily fired, had a round been chambered. I find it interesting that, when the video stops at one point after the BG had been shot, you can see his finger was indexed, not on the trigger. His grip was also terrible, so he simply may not have had any experience shooting handguns.

In my view, she used a too-small-gun and fired too few rounds. Yes, the BG died at the scene, but the goal was to prevent him from killing her and that goal was not achieved. She survived because of his poor planning and execution of the robbery.

Chas.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:09 am
In my view, she used a too-small-gun and fired too few rounds. Yes, the BG died at the scene, but the goal was to prevent him from killing her and that goal was not achieved. She survived because of his poor planning and execution of the robbery.

Chas.
Yep, I was told by a Sheriff's Deputy that you shoot until the threat stops. This BG was still a threat after 2 rounds. Also I have read that the shoot 2 and assess can get you killed because YOU DON'T STOP SHOOTING UNTIL THE THREAT IS OVER.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

ELB

Post by ELB »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:55 pm
He is so close that he knocks her gun out of her hand...
In a training scenario where I was the robbee, the robber closed in and holding his his (airsoft) handgun in one hand, pointed it at my belly. I raised my hands surrender-style, then slapped his hand with my left hand as hard as I could while stepping/blading to the left. My intent was just to get off the boresight of the handgun then force his gun arm and the gun against/across his body, pinning it while I drew knife/gun/stabbedhim/shothim/otherwise clobbered him. However the gun went flying about 20-30 feet to the (my) right and way behind him. So I jumped back and drew my pistol, and retreated out of the area.

The look on his face was priceless. :)

I don't think I would count on disarm-by-slapping, but he did learn to stay out of range with his handgun.
USAF 1982-2005

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

She should have kept pulling the trigger until he dropped or her slide locked back! I recall massad Ayoob teaches keep shooting them until they quit moving!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Well, she did great by drawing and getting 2 quick rounds off, but even if she wanted to keep firing, she was stopped by having her gun swatted away before firing rounds 3 to 7 (I'm assuming her Ruger was an LCP in 6 + 1 mode). We all have 20-20 hindsight that if she had stepped a few steps back, she could have kept firing until empty, but in the end she prevailed. I'd like to think all of us could mount a successful defense when evil comes knocking, whatever the details of our encounter.

This story had a happy ending for her since she did many things right, and the BG didn't have a round chambered.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”