VA: 13 dead at Virginia Beach municipal building shooting

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Re: VA: 13 dead at Virginia Beach municipal building shooting

Post by anygunanywhere »

Not much on the media about this except screaming about the evil NRA. I wonder why?

I did notice that the LEOs responding were not trained in Broward Coward County.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 9

Post by philip964 »

NBC showed two Glocks, one with a silencer. Said extended magazines.

All Democratic candidates want gun control.

Showed a picture of the shooter. Shooters targets were not of one race. Many were people he worked with.

Security card allowed him complete access to entire building.

Trump sent his condolences to the victims and their families. Said nothing about guns NRA etc.

Houston’s similar building has armed security on premise and has a big sign in 4” letters on every entrance door that says, “ no illegal guns beyond this point” or something similar.
Last edited by philip964 on Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Bitter Clinger »

philip964 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:45 pm NBC showed two Glocks, one with a silencer. Said extended magazines.

All Democratic candidates want gun control.

Showed a picture of the shooter.
Reportedly a DemocRat.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

Aggie_engr wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:15 am It appears firearms are allowed inside municople buildings. This may or may not be true considering the source is a mainstream media outlet. They also state police found a pistol and a rifle near the gunman but later state the chief wouldn’t comment on the presence of a rifle, but he did confirm a .45 caliber pistol, suppressor and extended magazines. It almost seems like an uncoordinated attempt to plant evidence to use for anti-gun legislation.

“Vice Mayor James Wood said people can take guns into public buildings, but not schools or courts.”
"Here is something that people might want to consider. Virginia Beach bans employees from being able to carry guns. In addition, while it was indeed possible for a civilian to enter the “Operations Building” where the attack occurred and carry a gun, the “Operations Building,” as its name suggests, was a building where virtually only employees would be in.

Operations: IT; Planning; Public Works; Public Utilities; Communications and Information technology; traffic engineering; City/Schools Print services; Mail Room. Even with regarding Public Utilities, bills were not paid in that building. Bills were paid in Building 1, not Building 2. This operation actually ran the nuts and bolts of the Public Utilities. The attached picture below also shows how isolated this “operations” building is from the rest of the buildings."

https://crimeresearch.org/2019/06/anoth ... nia-beach/

To sign up for Lottt's news letter

https://crimepreventionresearchcenter.n ... archcenter

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

If I have learned one thing over the years it’s that:

If it can happen, it will happen.

baseballguy2001
Posts in topic: 1

Post by baseballguy2001 »

A story this morning reported that the killer had some sort of altercation with other employees, then resigned via email just hours before the shooting. I work in IT, it usually takes a few days before an 'ex' is totally removed from the security badge system. Likely this person knew that like most people do, and decided to get some revenge. The barn door will likely get closed at a few city halls around the country, but not many.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

Grumpy1993
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Grumpy1993 »

baseballguy2001 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:12 pm A story this morning reported that the killer had some sort of altercation with other employees, then resigned via email just hours before the shooting. I work in IT, it usually takes a few days before an 'ex' is totally removed from the security badge system. Likely this person knew that like most people do, and decided to get some revenge. The barn door will likely get closed at a few city halls around the country, but not many.
What if the next one doesn't send an email first? :headscratch

I guess it's a good thing for these mass murderers that their .gov accomplices pass and enforce laws to disarm the victims.
Bonnen Lied
Gun Rights Died

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Bitter Clinger »

baseballguy2001 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:12 pm A story this morning reported that the killer had some sort of altercation with other employees, then resigned via email just hours before the shooting. I work in IT, it usually takes a few days before an 'ex' is totally removed from the security badge system. Likely this person knew that like most people do, and decided to get some revenge. The barn door will likely get closed at a few city halls around the country, but not many.
Irrelevant. It was a gun free zone. Full stop.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Our Work area is gun free zone. We are all sitting ducks. I complained and I got a better security (ushers) at the gates.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://news.yahoo.com/police-thwarted- ... 20769.html

Police thwarted by security locks in municipal building.

Mass shooter could go anywhere but police couldn’t due to “security” locks.

I am reminded of a movie Borne Legacy where there is an employee who because of drugs he is taking decides to kill everyone he works with in a secure pharmaceutical laboratory. The police have trouble getting to him as well. He goes to the extra trouble of removing the interior door handles to prevent his coworkers from escaping.

One of the jobs of the high paid bosses is to look at things like this. And say what if... since we have banned our employees from protecting themselves....

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

philip964 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:40 pm https://news.yahoo.com/police-thwarted- ... 20769.html

I am reminded of a movie Borne Legacy where there is an employee who because of drugs he is taking decides to kill everyone he works with in a secure pharmaceutical laboratory. The police have trouble getting to him as well. He goes to the extra trouble of removing the interior door handles to prevent his coworkers from escaping.

One of the jobs of the high paid bosses is to look at things like this. And say what if... since we have banned our employees from protecting themselves....
I’ve worked in buildings which had a secure box which the fire department could access. The box held keys in order to access the building. Sounds like access by LEOs would be prudent.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

philip964 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:40 pm https://news.yahoo.com/police-thwarted- ... 20769.html

I’ve worked in buildings which had a secure box which the fire department could access. The box held keys in order to access the building. Sounds like access by LEOs would be prudent.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

WTR wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:08 pm

Those are called Knox box, we had them in our Engines, when you removed them from the lock inside the cab the air horns would blow until you put the key back!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

crazy2medic wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:49 pm
WTR wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:08 pm

Those are called Knox box, we had them in our Engines, when you removed them from the lock inside the cab the air horns would blow until you put the key back!
Thanks, Knox boxes is what they were called ( brain fart ). However, these had no alarms associated with them.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”