NH: Pick up truck driver charged with negligent homicide in deaths of 7 motorcyclists

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 6

NH: Pick up truck driver charged with negligent homicide in deaths of 7 motorcyclists

Post by philip964 »

https://www.newscentermaine.com/article ... b1b8c3f15a

Very little has been released on this other than it was horrific.

They were members of a marine veteran’s motorcycle club with their spouses. They were just 500 feet from their bed and breakfast destination.

My condolences to the friends and families.

RIP

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 7

Re: NH: Pick up truck driver charged with negligent homicide in deaths of 7 motorcyclists

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Around ten years ago coming through Kansas I came upon a scene like that. A semi driver had fallen asleep and plowed through a large group of bikers. It was pretty horrific. I think of it every time I am riding my Harley out on the highway.

03Lightningrocks

Re: NH: Pick up truck driver charged with negligent homicide in deaths of 7 motorcyclists

I could not find anything saying what he did to cause it to be negligent homicide. I was behind a guy today that was driving erratically. I went around him in the left lane and he had a cell phone stuck right up in front of his face/eyes. Texting while driving should be illegal. I am not even sure how people do it. I know I can't.

jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jason812 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:13 pm Texting while driving should be illegal.
It is.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

03Lightningrocks

I just found this related story. He had a history of DWI and when they arrested him they found what looked like heroin residue.

https://www.unionleader.com/news/crime/ ... 81a68.html

jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jason812 »

LDP wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:54 pm
jason812 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:15 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:13 pm Texting while driving should be illegal.
It is.
Is it a federal law yet? It's only state-based for now, right?
http://www.ncsl.org/research/transporta ... -laws.aspx

Only Missouri for over 21 and Montana allow texting and driving. Just because there is a law, doesn't mean people will follow it. Also, no need to get the feds involved.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

03Lightningrocks

I was not aware that they finally outlawed it in Texas. Based on the large amount of people I see texting on the roads, there are a lot of people who aren't aware.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:16 pm I was not aware that they finally outlawed it in Texas. Based on the large amount of people I see texting on the roads, there are a lot of people who aren't aware.
Oh, they all know. They just don’t think the law applies to them.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 6

Post by philip964 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:30 pm I just found this related story. He had a history of DWI and when they arrested him they found what looked like heroin residue.

https://www.unionleader.com/news/crime/ ... 81a68.html
Didn’t know you could drive a truck commercially and have a DUI record.

03Lightningrocks

I didn't think so either. The company that hired him is likely headed for trouble as well.

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Post by joe817 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:18 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:16 pm I was not aware that they finally outlawed it in Texas. Based on the large amount of people I see texting on the roads, there are a lot of people who aren't aware.
Oh, they all know. They just don’t think the law applies to them.
:iagree: totally. They ignore the law and Texans are still getting killed because of their stupidity. :mad5
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

srothstein
Posts in topic: 4

Post by srothstein »

philip964 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:29 pm Didn’t know you could drive a truck commercially and have a DUI record.
No rules against it as far as I know. Especially no reason for a rule if it was just one offense.

Company would only be headed for trouble if the accident involved him being drunk or high.
Steve Rothstein

srothstein
Posts in topic: 4

Post by srothstein »

I am still curious how the accident occurred. So far as I have seen, no details on how the accident occurred have been released. Since he was charged, I am guessing (and it is only a guess) that he somehow crossed the center line to hit the bikes. What made him cross the line would be critical to any charges being supportable.

And to hit at least five bikes, he must have made a sudden swerve instead of a slow drift to cross the line. A slow drift across the line would have allowed most of the bikes to avoid him. Even a sudden swerve should have let some of the bikes avoid him, though a few might have gone down trying to stop.

I am very curious about the arrest also, and the finding of the heroin residue. If it were just the average accident, it would not take the fugitive unit to make the arrest. He could have been asked to turn himself in or just had a couple detectives go get him. And when he was arrested, it doesn't justify much of a search of the house. Police can search for weapons for their own safety then, of course. They can also search the immediate area of the arrest as a search incident to arrest. But these have been restricted in recent years to searches for evidence of the suspected crime and for officer safety.

All told, these things tell me there is a lot more going on here than has been released. I would like to see more on this.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “The Crime Blotter”