El Paso Walmart Shooting

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Post by twomillenium »

ScooterSissy wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:04 pm
imkopaka wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:26 am
RoadRunnerTR21 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:37 am Is this Walmart in El Paso posted? I saw earlier where someone said the mall was but what about the Walmart?
I have never seen a Walmart post anything barring guns, however, to my knowledge ALL Walmarts in Texas sell beer and wine, and are therefore required by TABC to post blue signs. Said signs make it illegal to carry a rifle inside (or any other firearm that isn't carried under the authority of LTC). So, it was illegal for him to carry the gun he had into Walmart.
The TABC requirements are for one of two different signs. I believe Walmart falls under "establishments whose alcohol sales are 50% or less of total gross receipts. It warns that unlicensed possession of a concealed weapon is a felony."

Selling beer and wine does not disqualify LTC, unless they also post 30-60 & 30-07, unless the establishment is a 51%, making 51% or more of their sales in alcohol.
Read the whole paragraph before making such a statement. It is 51% of alcohol CONSUMED on premises.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

philip964
Posts in topic: 15

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/nati ... -about-gun

Shooters mom called police worried about her son buying an AK47 considering his age and maturity level.

Didn’t mention that pesky kill list he made in high school.

Police apparently said it was all legal.

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Maxwell »

twomillenium wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:53 pm
ScooterSissy wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:04 pm
imkopaka wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:26 am
RoadRunnerTR21 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:37 am Is this Walmart in El Paso posted? I saw earlier where someone said the mall was but what about the Walmart?
I have never seen a Walmart post anything barring guns, however, to my knowledge ALL Walmarts in Texas sell beer and wine, and are therefore required by TABC to post blue signs. Said signs make it illegal to carry a rifle inside (or any other firearm that isn't carried under the authority of LTC). So, it was illegal for him to carry the gun he had into Walmart.
The TABC requirements are for one of two different signs. I believe Walmart falls under "establishments whose alcohol sales are 50% or less of total gross receipts. It warns that unlicensed possession of a concealed weapon is a felony."

Selling beer and wine does not disqualify LTC, unless they also post 30-60 & 30-07, unless the establishment is a 51%, making 51% or more of their sales in alcohol.
Read the whole paragraph before making such a statement. It is 51% of alcohol CONSUMED on premises.
Scooter,

Twomillenium makes a point but you are partially right, even if quoting the wrong law. The quoted 51% sign you mention is for on-premise consumption, such as a bar. The law that forbids carrying an unlicensed weapon anyplace that sells alcohol, such as a grocery store, convenience store, WalMart, liquor store, etc. is also a felony. However as LTC we are exempt to that law. We are NOT exempt to the 51% on-premise sign!

Max
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Oldgringo »

philip964 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:29 pm https://www.click2houston.com/news/nati ... -about-gun

Shooters mom called police worried about her son buying an AK47 considering his age and maturity level.

CNN? I don't trust CNN for nothing!

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 11

Post by carlson1 »

Oldgringo wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:00 am
philip964 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:29 pm https://www.click2houston.com/news/nati ... -about-gun

I wasn’t aware of a list by the El Paso shooter just the Ohio shooter. I have not heard anyone mention the killer in El Paso had any contact with police other than a runaway, being on a bus that crashed, and having a false alarm at his grandparents home.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Oldgringo wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:00 am

Our local station said she didn’t identify herself or release her son’s name. Not that the police couldn’t have figured it out. Just that there apparently wasn’t any case for alarm at the time.

We’ll learn more in the coming days I’m sure.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

philip964
Posts in topic: 15

Post by philip964 »

https://news.yahoo.com/u-prosecutors-no ... 00626.html

Feds won’t seek death penalty in this case.

You know, punishment, does no good.

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chasfm11 »

Last year, a Texas judge put off a state trial in the case as federal prosecutors determined whether they would seek capital punishment.
This should have been a State trial, not a local one. This "hate crime" ploy is just another method of Federal overreach. Double jeopardy is basic right but the Feds are using it to thwart States like Texas.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

It occurred in Texas, the perpetrator was a resident of Texas, most of the victims were residents of Texas. It did not occur on Federal property nor did the perpetrator cross any state lines to commit the crime. So, exactly how is this a Federal crime and not a State crime?
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Grayling813 »

AF-Odin wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:48 am It occurred in Texas, the perpetrator was a resident of Texas, most of the victims were residents of Texas. It did not occur on Federal property nor did the perpetrator cross any state lines to commit the crime. So, exactly how is this a Federal crime and not a State crime?
Abraham Lincoln's legacy....federal power over states.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

His attorneys said in the motion that Crusius has been diagnosed with lifelong neurological and mental disabilities, which they described as “severe.” The accused shooter was allegedly in special education for most of his school years, the motion said.
shooter has mental disabilities and was in a psychotic state

My guess is someone put this trainwreck up to the shooting. Driving 11 hours to shoot up El Paso is odd even for a psychotic. Brings into question how someone well established in legal terms to be "mentally defective" was legal under a 4473 to purchase a firearm in the first place?
Crusius legally purchased the gun used in the shooting, police said.

His mother, Lori Lynn Crusius, called police a few weeks before the shooting because she was concerned about her son owning an AK-47 style rifle. The family’s attorney said the call was “purely informational” adding there was “absolutely no fear of violence nor any belief of an intent to do harm” prompting her phone call. Her concerns were based on her son’s age, maturity and lack of experience handling a gun, attorneys Chris Ayres and R. Jack Ayres told CNN.

Police told her that based on her description of the situation, Crusius was legally allowed to purchase the gun.
heavy
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Paladin wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:57 am
His attorneys said in the motion that Crusius has been diagnosed with lifelong neurological and mental disabilities, which they described as “severe.” The accused shooter was allegedly in special education for most of his school years, the motion said.
shooter has mental disabilities and was in a psychotic state

My guess is someone put this trainwreck up to the shooting. Driving 11 hours to shoot up El Paso is odd even for a psychotic. Brings into question how someone well established in legal terms to be "mentally defective" was legal under a 4473 to purchase a firearm in the first place?

His mother, Lori Lynn Crusius, called police a few weeks before the shooting because she was concerned about her son owning an AK-47 style rifle. The family’s attorney said the call was “purely informational” adding there was “absolutely no fear of violence nor any belief of an intent to do harm” prompting her phone call. Her concerns were based on her son’s age, maturity and lack of experience handling a gun, attorneys Chris Ayres and R. Jack Ayres told CNN.

Police told her that based on her description of the situation, Crusius was legally allowed to purchase the gun.
heavy
That's been my thought for some years now, that social media is being used to select and cultivate these whack jobs. Most folks simply aren't going to do those sorts of heinous crimes. Using social media allows someone the ability to access large numbers of potential candidates and then weed it down to a select handful who are predisposed by whatever circumstances. Then those select few are prodded until they commit the crime. Haven't seen anything concrete, just working on some logic on the topic.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

If we're not careful, something like this could backfire; hoplophobes could use this kind of thing to justify banning these guns completely. "This shows how anybody can just walk into a gun store and buy one."
-Ruark

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I'm sure this is all purely coincidence:

With Little Fanfare, William Barr Formally Announces Orwellian Pre-Crime Program(2019)
To overcome the resistance by some private companies — who do not want to renege on their right to privacy by giving the government backdoor access to their devices — and American consumers, Barr tellingly anticipated “a major incident may occur at any time that will galvanize public opinion on these issues.” Shortly after this speech, several mass shootings, including one at an El Paso Walmart took place, which again brought the issue to the forefront of political discourse. 

As MintPress reported at the time, Barr’s uncanny prediction and a litany of other oddities related to the El Paso shooting left many answered questions about the FBI’s foreknowledge of the event. In addition, the tragedy did appear to serve as the very “galvanizing” event that Barr had anticipated, as the solution offered by President Trump in the wake of the shootings was the creation of a government backdoor into encryption as well as calling for the very pre-crime system Barr formally announced just last week.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

carlson1 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:01 pm Fox News reporting now there is an active shooting near Cielo Vista Mall area. Reports a possible 18 shot at the Walmart.
I BET IT'S A GUNFREE MALL (Simon malls ?) TOO THAT'S NEXT TO/NEAR WALMART (interesting notes at https://www.texas3006.com/ about the Mall guards evicting trained, background checked, licensees who carry))

PROBABLY NEED A NEW THREAD FOR THE MALL SHOOTING WHICH JUST HAPPENED

1 DEAD 3 INJURED
https://www.google.com/search?q=Cielo+V ... 22&dpr=1.4

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/16/us/el-pa ... index.html
El Paso mall shooting leaves 1 dead, 3 injured. At a store next door, (Walmart) 23 people were killed in another mass shooting in 2019
Elizabeth Wolfe, CNN
Updated 7:50 AM EST, Thu February 16, 2023
Simon Malls code of conduct
https://www.simon.com/legal/code-of-conduct
No weapons.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”