Page 4 of 13

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:17 pm
by philip964
carlson1 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:01 pm
A couple of things different in this shooting is the shooter wore ear protection? and surrendered? They usually take their own life or LE does.
The manefesto guys want a trial and all the hoopla to advance their cause.

The New Zealand Guy did the same.

Did he pick ElPaso because of Antifa.

The only causes these guys advance is gun bans.

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:21 pm
by philip964
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -mall.html

Shot people outside selling water for a charity. 4 month old wounded.

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:29 pm
by imkopaka
SewTexas wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:31 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:26 pm
SewTexas wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:50 pm
this is truly horrifying....how are kids so evil these days?
In my opinion it is a combination of factors. Raised by violent video games and day care. Social media creating a lack of empathy. These kids refer to texting as talking! They all live on social media and begin to see it as real life. Violent TV and Movies. The level of graphic violence this group was raised on is unfathomable.
.
honestly, I think the biggest thing is that kids haven't been raised to value life.
03Lightningrocks, I disagree wholeheartedly. I am part of the same generation, raised playing every type of violent video game from Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein 3d to Call of Duty, Halo, and Doom. I grew up watching violent movies like the Terminator franchise and war movies like Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, and the Patriot. I also saw disturbing levels of violence during my time in the Marines and as a correctional officer. These things did not turn me into a killer, a monster, or a predator. They did not desensitize me to the suffering of others, even if they desensitized me to the sight of blood. Assuming that these things can turn someone into a psychotic murderer is a harmful stereotype.

The problem as I see it is twofold: as SewTexas states, the first problem is that they do not value life. For one reason or another, they treat other people (or animals) as a possession or an object. They are unwilling or unable to empathize, to feel the pain and experience the fear of others in a way that affects their behavior. The second is that they have no external moral compass. They are accountable to themselves and no one else - there is no one whose opinion they value more than their own, so as their thinking becomes less rational, there is no one capable of convincing them they are wrong. This is one of the greatest gifts of the Bible - it offers the moral compass of an absolute God. No one measures up, and many mistakes and failings occur, but the standard still exists, is always present and never-changing.

Despite growing up in the same generation as this mongrel and being exposed to the same general experiences at roughly the same developmental points, I am not like him. I have experienced enough pain that I actively seek to reduce pain in others so they don't have to feel what I've felt. I have the guidance of the Holy Spirit and the objective truth of the Gospel to tell me when my actions or thoughts are wrong (which they all too frequently are).

Blaming video games for the violent acts of a fully functioning adult who is able to tell fantasy from reality is no different from blaming private gun ownership. Please be careful where you ascribe blame.

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:37 pm
by 03Lightningrocks
imkopaka wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:29 pm
SewTexas wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:31 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:26 pm
SewTexas wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:50 pm
this is truly horrifying....how are kids so evil these days?
In my opinion it is a combination of factors. Raised by violent video games and day care. Social media creating a lack of empathy. These kids refer to texting as talking! They all live on social media and begin to see it as real life. Violent TV and Movies. The level of graphic violence this group was raised on is unfathomable.
.
honestly, I think the biggest thing is that kids haven't been raised to value life.
03Lightningrocks, I disagree wholeheartedly. I am part of the same generation, raised playing every type of violent video game from Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein 3d to Call of Duty, Halo, and Doom. I grew up watching violent movies like the Terminator franchise and war movies like Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, and the Patriot. I also saw disturbing levels of violence during my time in the Marines and as a correctional officer. These things did not turn me into a killer, a monster, or a predator. They did not desensitize me to the suffering of others, even if they desensitized me to the sight of blood. Assuming that these things can turn someone into a psychotic murderer is a harmful stereotype.

The problem as I see it is twofold: as SewTexas states, the first problem is that they do not value life. For one reason or another, they treat other people (or animals) as a possession or an object. They are unwilling or unable to empathize, to feel the pain and experience the fear of others in a way that affects their behavior. The second is that they have no external moral compass. They are accountable to themselves and no one else - there is no one whose opinion they value more than their own, so as their thinking becomes less rational, there is no one capable of convincing them they are wrong. This is one of the greatest gifts of the Bible - it offers the moral compass of an absolute God. No one measures up, and many mistakes and failings occur, but the standard still exists, is always present and never-changing.

Despite growing up in the same generation as this mongrel and being exposed to the same general experiences at roughly the same developmental points, I am not like him. I have experienced enough pain that I actively seek to reduce pain in others so they don't have to feel what I've felt. I have the guidance of the Holy Spirit and the objective truth of the Gospel to tell me when my actions or thoughts are wrong (which they all too frequently are).

Blaming video games for the violent acts of a fully functioning adult who is able to tell fantasy from reality is no different from blaming private gun ownership. Please be careful where you ascribe blame.
Just because you have yet to go off the deep end does not mean that violent video games aren't part of the equation. Every major government agency now uses video games to train everyone from cops to military personal. If the video game was not an effective training tool, Government agencies would not be utilizing them for training. It is just the way it is.

Social media and video game training are both part of why so many in your generation have no empathy and don't see people as fellow human beings. When your "friends" are all digital images and your main human contact is through texting, it is no surprise that one would lose touch with their ability to feel compassion.

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:48 pm
by carlson1
imkopaka wrote: I have the guidance of the Holy Spirit and the objective truth of the Gospel to tell me when my actions or thoughts are wrong (which they all too frequently are).
This is the difference.

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:49 pm
by 03Lightningrocks
The police are all over his home in Allen. It looks to be a fairly upscale neighborhood. I also just saw that he actually got into his car and drove a little ways before being stopped. I was under the impression he was caught inside walmart.

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:50 pm
by 03Lightningrocks
carlson1 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:48 pm
imkopaka wrote: I have the guidance of the Holy Spirit and the objective truth of the Gospel to tell me when my actions or thoughts are wrong (which they all too frequently are).
This is the difference.
I strongly agree!

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:50 pm
by Daisy Cutter
"Man1festo" can be found on 4chan and 8chan. One version here, as a jpg. For those interested.

http://i.4pcdn.org/pol/1564859054539.jpg

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:08 pm
by joe817
carlson1 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:48 pm
imkopaka wrote: I have the guidance of the Holy Spirit and the objective truth of the Gospel to tell me when my actions or thoughts are wrong (which they all too frequently are).
This is the difference.
Carl, that is THE difference. The moral of the teachings of the Gospel is what is lacking in these lost souls.

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:08 pm
by 03Lightningrocks
Daisy Cutter wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:50 pm
"Man1festo" can be found on 4chan and 8chan. One version here, as a jpg. For those interested.

http://i.4pcdn.org/pol/1564859054539.jpg
Holy Cow! I just read it. That is just unreal! I wonder if he posted it before he did the shootings? Maybe someone reading it could have done something to stop him?

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:08 pm
by patterson
imkopaka wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:29 pm
SewTexas wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:31 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:26 pm
SewTexas wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:50 pm
this is truly horrifying....how are kids so evil these days?
In my opinion it is a combination of factors. Raised by violent video games and day care. Social media creating a lack of empathy. These kids refer to texting as talking! They all live on social media and begin to see it as real life. Violent TV and Movies. The level of graphic violence this group was raised on is unfathomable.
.
honestly, I think the biggest thing is that kids haven't been raised to value life.
03Lightningrocks, I disagree wholeheartedly. I am part of the same generation, raised playing every type of violent video game from Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein 3d to Call of Duty, Halo, and Doom. I grew up watching violent movies like the Terminator franchise and war movies like Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, and the Patriot. I also saw disturbing levels of violence during my time in the Marines and as a correctional officer. These things did not turn me into a killer, a monster, or a predator. They did not desensitize me to the suffering of others, even if they desensitized me to the sight of blood. Assuming that these things can turn someone into a psychotic murderer is a harmful stereotype.

The problem as I see it is twofold: as SewTexas states, the first problem is that they do not value life. For one reason or another, they treat other people (or animals) as a possession or an object. They are unwilling or unable to empathize, to feel the pain and experience the fear of others in a way that affects their behavior. The second is that they have no external moral compass. They are accountable to themselves and no one else - there is no one whose opinion they value more than their own, so as their thinking becomes less rational, there is no one capable of convincing them they are wrong. This is one of the greatest gifts of the Bible - it offers the moral compass of an absolute God. No one measures up, and many mistakes and failings occur, but the standard still exists, is always present and never-changing.

Despite growing up in the same generation as this mongrel and being exposed to the same general experiences at roughly the same developmental points, I am not like him. I have experienced enough pain that I actively seek to reduce pain in others so they don't have to feel what I've felt. I have the guidance of the Holy Spirit and the objective truth of the Gospel to tell me when my actions or thoughts are wrong (which they all too frequently are).

Blaming video games for the violent acts of a fully functioning adult who is able to tell fantasy from reality is no different from blaming private gun ownership. Please be careful where you ascribe blame.
Im with you on that Ive played video games all my life and now in my 50s I enjoy playing Call of Duty WW2

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:26 pm
by strogg
This is a sad tragedy. Condolences to all affected.

That said, everyone has their own opinions on why this happened, what caused it, how to prevent it, etc. I have my own opinions too. Simply put in one sentence: We need to treat this like we do any other senseless crime, big or small, as an epidemic of mental illness.

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:29 pm
by DynamicDan
He's from our little burg in Allen. When are the people that know these individuals going to get them mental health? Now us law abiding gun owners have to fight off the morons.

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:14 pm
by Lynyrd
Came in from work, turned on the news, and saw Robert O'Rourke finding every camera he could. My heartfelt prayers go out to the victims. I wish one of them had been armed and could have killed the punk who perpetrated this travesty. But the political posturing that went on afterwards is also sickening.

Re: El Paso Walmart Shooting

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:22 pm
by Oldgringo
03Lightningrocks wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:33 pm
SewTexas wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:31 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:26 pm
SewTexas wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:50 pm
this is truly horrifying....how are kids so evil these days?
In my opinion it is a combination of factors. Raised by violent video games and day care. Social media creating a lack of empathy. These kids refer to texting as talking! They all live on social media and begin to see it as real life. Violent TV and Movies. The level of graphic violence this group was raised on is unfathomable.
.
honestly, I think the biggest thing is that kids haven't been raised to value life.
I agree with you.
I agree with both of you. What this country needs is ONE (1) YEAR mandatory military/national service from EVERYONE upon reaching the age of 19 PLUS the voting age should be raised to 24 for everyone EXCEPT active military.