TX: Why 30 round magazines are necessary

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

TX: Why 30 round magazines are necessary

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/loca ... roken-into

Local press makes light of a very serious situation.

One of 4 armed robbers falls in pool after home invasion.

I’m seeing it and rethinking home defense.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Re: TX: Why 30 round magazines are necessary

Post by flechero »

and some had body armor too... I'm not prepared for that out of a sound sleep. Wow, makes me want to rethink some things as well.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Retired Delta operator Kyle Lamb has a very high opinion of the AR15 for home defense. I bow to his expertise.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... s-opinion/

I have two primary home defense weapons kept handy, a suppressed AR SBR, and a suppressed Glock 17. For the AR, I keep a number of charged mags handy—20 rounders loaded with 55 grain Nosler Partition soft points, and 30 rounders loaded with M193 55 grain ball. Keeping the soft points in the 20-rounders and the ball ammo in the 30-rounders makes it easy to know which I’m loading into the weapon. The mag that’s kept IN the weapon is one of the 20-rounders with the soft points.

The soft points are for inside the house use, and the ball for outdoors, where superior barrier blindness might be more desirable. I do have a fair amount of M855 ball on hand, but prefer the M193 because it seems to shoot slightly more accurately in my rifles; and at the ranges I’m likely to use it, there’s no practical advantage to the M855 bullet.

I do have a shotgun quickly available also, but I believe the shorter SBR, with its lower recoil, higher capacity, and suppressed report to be a better choice for indoors.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

flechero wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:39 am and some had body armor too... I'm not prepared for that out of a sound sleep. Wow, makes me want to rethink some things as well.
I could be wrong, but that looks to me like a plain old chest rig with some magazines pouches on it. It doesn’t look bulky enough to be body armor.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:35 am Retired Delta operator Kyle Lamb has a very high opinion of the AR15 for home defense. I bow to his expertise.

I have two primary home defense weapons kept handy, a suppressed AR SBR, and a suppressed Glock 17. For the AR, I keep a number of charged mags handy—20 rounders loaded with 55 grain Nosler Partition soft points, and 30 rounders loaded with M193 55 grain ball. Keeping the soft points in the 20-rounders and the ball ammo in the 30-rounders makes it easy to know which I’m loading into the weapon. The mag that’s kept IN the weapon is one of the 20-rounders with the soft points.

The soft points are for inside the house use, and the ball for outdoors, where superior barrier blindness might be more desirable. I do have a fair amount of M855 ball on hand, but prefer the M193 because it seems to shoot slightly more accurately in my rifles; and at the ranges I’m likely to use it, there’s no practical advantage to the M855 bullet.

I do have a shotgun quickly available also, but I believe the shorter SBR, with its lower recoil, higher capacity, and suppressed report to be a better choice for indoors.
But don’t you know that Massad Ayoob says NFA firearms will make you look bad to the jury when you are charged with murder for shooting an armed home invader who is attacking you? Only the police and military need SBRs, silencers, and giant ammunition clips (I.e. 17rd Glock Magazines....). :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

The Annoyed Man

ScottDLS wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:53 am
The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:35 am Retired Delta operator Kyle Lamb has a very high opinion of the AR15 for home defense. I bow to his expertise.

But don’t you know that Massad Ayoob says NFA firearms will make you look bad to the jury when you are charged with murder for shooting an armed home invader who is attacking you? Only the police and military need SBRs, silencers, and giant ammunition clips (I.e. 17rd Glock Magazines....). :biggrinjester:
:lol:

I actually did seriously consider the risk of this, as well as the risk of having either weapon temporarily seized pending an investigation, and I decided that I don’t give a darn. These are the tools I have chosen because they best meet my HD needs. Besides, the cops in my town would probably be more interested in asking me how they could duplicate an SBR like mine for themselves, not to mention whether they should buy or build their next suppressor. Also, I’d probably have the suppressor dismounted and put away long before the cops got there.

Heck, I suppose I could use my unsuppressed iron-sighted 20" A4 replica. It’d just be louder, but it’s a pretty accurate shooter with the above mentioned ammo. Or I could use my M4. I don’t really care, as long as it’s an AR. Suppressors are a bonus, but not having one isn’t going to make the AR any louder than a 12 gauge shotgun.....in which case, weight, handiness, and capacity still favor the AR. Ditto for the Glock.

#TINVOWOOT

rotor

Post by rotor »

If a cop needs 17 rounds to stop one bad guy 30 rounds may not be enough.

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

Scott, if someone breaks into your home in the dead of night, and you reach for your suppressed SBR AR15, this is the smart move, because there is no need to wake the neighbors in what happens next. :)

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:43 am
flechero wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:39 am and some had body armor too... I'm not prepared for that out of a sound sleep. Wow, makes me want to rethink some things as well.
I could be wrong, but that looks to me like a plain old chest rig with some magazines pouches on it. It doesn’t look bulky enough to be body armor.
Gotcha... i assumed it was soft BA, since neither had mags or holsters attached. (that I saw)

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

ScottDLS wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:53 am
So that’s why I call an attorney who can get a good expert witness instead of Ayoob. :mrgreen:

Another reason 30 round mags are necessary is because they are easy to duplex:
Matt Bracken: In Praise Of Duplexed AR Mags
https://westernrifleshooters.wordpress. ... d-ar-mags/

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

The one criminal that fell into the pool it's to bad it wasn't the deep end and he couldn't swim. Just sayin?
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

flechero wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:13 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:43 am
Gotcha... i assumed it was soft BA, since neither had mags or holsters attached. (that I saw)
I agree looking at the photo it's most likely empty. But can't 100% rule out soft, or maybe a small small chance of an uncoated steel plate.
NRA Benefactor Member

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I have long been a strong believer in the AR-15 for home defense. Happy to see that SGM Kyle Lamb agrees! :cheers2:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Alf

Post by Alf »

Return to “The Crime Blotter”