Dallas Swat kills suspect carrying “assault rifle”

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B


Mike S
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Dallas Swat kills suspect carrying “assault rifle”

#16

Post by Mike S » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:24 pm

montgomery wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:44 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:01 pm
I think having a weapon in hand while trying to escape is going to qualify the dead guy as a legitimate target. I suppose we shall see.
What was the crime or probable cause? Running while legally possessing a long gun?
From reading the linked article, I'd guess the probable cause for the warrant that was issued was the vehicle had been involved with a murder of a cafe employee in Dallas during a robbery that same night. The probable cause to arrest the guy with the rifle likely would be him exiting that same vehicle, that had been under surveillance while waiting for the warrant after the murder of a cafe employee, and exiting/running away from the vehicle with a long gun to avoid arrest.

User avatar

narcissist
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:09 am

Re: Dallas Swat kills suspect carrying “assault rifle”

#17

Post by narcissist » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:29 pm

montgomery wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:44 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:01 pm
I think having a weapon in hand while trying to escape is going to qualify the dead guy as a legitimate target. I suppose we shall see.
What was the crime or probable cause? Running while legally possessing a long gun?
It's possible they might "add" additional charges they seam fit but then again who knows?
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil


montgomery
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 8:13 am
Location: Montgomery, Texas

Re: Dallas Swat kills suspect carrying “assault rifle”

#18

Post by montgomery » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:08 pm

Mike S wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:24 pm
montgomery wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:44 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:01 pm
I think having a weapon in hand while trying to escape is going to qualify the dead guy as a legitimate target. I suppose we shall see.
What was the crime or probable cause? Running while legally possessing a long gun?
From reading the linked article, I'd guess the probable cause for the warrant that was issued was the vehicle had been involved with a murder of a cafe employee in Dallas during a robbery that same night. The probable cause to arrest the guy with the rifle likely would be him exiting that same vehicle, that had been under surveillance while waiting for the warrant after the murder of a cafe employee, and exiting/running away from the vehicle with a long gun to avoid arrest.
I was responding to a general comment not this specific case ...

User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 8882
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: Dallas Swat kills suspect carrying “assault rifle”

#19

Post by 03Lightningrocks » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:22 pm

montgomery wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:08 pm
Mike S wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:24 pm
montgomery wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:44 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:01 pm
I think having a weapon in hand while trying to escape is going to qualify the dead guy as a legitimate target. I suppose we shall see.
What was the crime or probable cause? Running while legally possessing a long gun?
From reading the linked article, I'd guess the probable cause for the warrant that was issued was the vehicle had been involved with a murder of a cafe employee in Dallas during a robbery that same night. The probable cause to arrest the guy with the rifle likely would be him exiting that same vehicle, that had been under surveillance while waiting for the warrant after the murder of a cafe employee, and exiting/running away from the vehicle with a long gun to avoid arrest.
I was responding to a general comment not this specific case ...
In any and all cases if an officer of the law tells you to stop, you by golly have to stop. If you are carrying a rifle while refusing to be detained, you might just become a legitimate target. They absolutely have the authority to detain a person. If you feel they have wronged you by said detention, take it to court. I cannot imagine the police allowing an armed person that is evading arrest to get away and possibly kill an innocent person. This is not London yet.

User avatar

warnmar10
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:57 am

Re: Dallas Swat kills suspect carrying “assault rifle”

#20

Post by warnmar10 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:33 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:46 pm
Evading a legal temporary detention by law enforcement, just to start.

Chas.
Did we read the same article?
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Police-Investigate-Officer-Involved-Shooting-in-Far-Northeast-Dallas-561410041.html wrote:As officers were watching the vehicle, homicide detectives were obtaining a warrant and notified SWAT. When SWAT officers approached the vehicle, several people inside the vehicle tried to run away.
I am programmed and predisposed to taking the side of cops in situations like this but cops no longer enjoy the presumption of doing the right thing from me.

It is possible an officer murdered a deserving dirt bag. Even if true, and internal investigation will almost certainly clear the officer of any wrongdoing.
Image


Rob72
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:08 am
Location: Gulf Coast

Re: Dallas Swat kills suspect carrying “assault rifle”

#21

Post by Rob72 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:52 pm

warnmar10 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:33 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:46 pm
Evading a legal temporary detention by law enforcement, just to start.

Chas.
Did we read the same article?
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Police-Investigate-Officer-Involved-Shooting-in-Far-Northeast-Dallas-561410041.html wrote:As officers were watching the vehicle, homicide detectives were obtaining a warrant and notified SWAT. When SWAT officers approached the vehicle, several people inside the vehicle tried to run away.
I am programmed and predisposed to taking the side of cops in situations like this but cops no longer enjoy the presumption of doing the right thing from me.

It is possible an officer murdered a deserving dirt bag. Even if true, and internal investigation will almost certainly clear the officer of any wrongdoing.
No, in context, the officer has stopped a deadly threat with force commensurate to the threat. It is, "murder," if the officer acted outside the bounds of his authority/performance of his duties

This is no different than the plethora of what would we do if present during an active shooter situation discussions. If one needed to shoot, it is the general consensus that regardless of anything else going on, it would be advisable to follow the instructions of responding officers.

This gentleman, in the company of associates present at a murder scene, chose to exit a vehicle in haste, with a long gun at the ready, presumably in spite of multiple loud directions to both stop and drop said firearm. Either his mental processing was so diminished that he brought about his own demise, inadvertently, or he was intentionally and willfully taking his lethal intent towards further implementation.


Ameer
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1397
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:01 pm

Re: Dallas Swat kills suspect carrying “assault rifle”

#22

Post by Ameer » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:30 pm

gtolbert09 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:28 pm
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Polic ... 10041.html
One man among the group of suspects running away from the vehicle was shot by a SWAT officer, police said. The man had been armed with an assault rifle when he was shot.
Did he have a tax stamp? "rlol"
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Post Reply

Return to “The Crime Blotter”