HPD: More than 2,000 guns stolen out of cars in the last 10 months

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

Beware:

...that is an increase of 21 percent since last year.

...Sgt. Hicks said there are many clues that thieves look for to tell if there is a gun in someone's car, such as stickers of gun brands or organizations.

"Having your little sticker here on the back lets you know that you’re gun-friendly and somewhere in this truck there’s going to be a gun stored in there," said Sgt. Hicks...He said thieves are jugging from gun ranges, too, waiting for people to leave the range, and then take their guns at their next destination, knowing there are guns inside those cars.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Jago668
Posts in topic: 1

Re: HPD: More than 2,000 guns stolen out of cars in the last 10 months

Post by Jago668 »

Paladin wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:53 pm Beware:

...Sgt. Hicks said there are many clues that thieves look for to tell if there is a gun in someone's car, such as stickers of gun brands or organizations.

"Having your little sticker here on the back lets you know that you’re gun-friendly and somewhere in this truck there’s going to be a gun stored in there," said Sgt. Hicks...He said thieves are jugging from gun ranges, too, waiting for people to leave the range, and then take their guns at their next destination, knowing there are guns inside those cars.
Seems like that would be easy to bust. Stick some stickers on trucks, go to the range, leave and head to the ambush...er arrest site.
NRA Benefactor Member

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Jago668 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:11 pm Seems like that would be easy to bust. Stick some stickers on trucks, go to the range, leave and head to the ambush...er arrest site.
Yes! A 2A bait truck!
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I have one sticker on my truck. It is my NRA Endowment Sticker in the lower corner of my rear window. I have always been concerned with it attracting a gun thief to my truck. I keep my truck perfectly clean with nothing in view. I rarely, if ever leave a firearm in it. I feel a little like it is playing russian roulette with car thieves.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Paladin wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:53 pm More than 2,000 guns stolen out of cars in the last 10 months

Sounds like a great reason to repeal all .06/.07... that way there are no guns in the cars. For the children, of course! :thumbs2:

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:57 pm I have one sticker on my truck. It is my NRA Endowment Sticker in the lower corner of my rear window. I have always been concerned with it attracting a gun thief to my truck. I keep my truck perfectly clean with nothing in view. I rarely, if ever leave a firearm in it. I feel a little like it is playing russian roulette with car thieves.
Years ago I used to have my NRA sticker on the car... and keeping the car perfectly clean I never had an issue. Of course I also had a safe
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

flechero wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:04 pm
Paladin wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:53 pm More than 2,000 guns stolen out of cars in the last 10 months

Sounds like a great reason to repeal all .06/.07... that way there are no guns in the cars. For the children, of course! :thumbs2:
Makes sense ... repeal forced car storage at all locations.
:iagree:

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

He suggests a gun safe secured to your car – but only as an alternative to simply leaving your guns at home.
I hope he was misquoted, taken out of context, ect. Otherwise its just plain dumb to suggest it....Perhaps he is channeling Art

How is a gun left at home used for training at the range?
How is a gun left at home used for self protection, hunting, offered for sale or just bought?
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I have had several break-ins over the years. The last time this happened, the responding Deputy told me to get NRA sticker or some other gun type stickers, it seemed to him that he had very few break-ins with these type of warnings on the vehicle. I had always thought the opposite. I applied the window stickers and have not had break-in since. Luck or coincidence? I don't know but that was in 97.
Another thought. Why would anyone leave a firearm in their vehicle over night??? If you have no choice, then it should definitely be locked up in some sort of vault.
On another note, I had my firearms blow out of the back of my truck when I was driving over the bridge. Now if I could just remember which lake, river or stream I was going over.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I've nearly posted on this thread a few times but decided to ponder it a bit more before I did. Two questions have come to mind:

1. How is this not like accusing rape victims of being at fault because of their dress? "If you didn't have that skimpy NRA sticker on your window, noone would have bothered you."

2. How is that a department with a spike in a certain type of crime isn't called to develop a plan to deal with it? I've sort of been following the Dallas situation with the increases in some types of crimes there. Chief Hall has been asked to put together a plan to bring those numbers back into former levels. I get it - maybe the Houston DA isn't prosecuting the suspects that the HPD is catching related to gun thefts from vehicles. That would be a compelling case to make. But if this is just so many more unsolved car burglary cases, what is being done about it?
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “The Crime Blotter”