Houston Man playing with gun shoots himself

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
howdy
Posts in topic: 2

Houston Man playing with gun shoots himself

Post by howdy »

"A 20-year-old Houston man is in critical condition after reportedly shooting himself in the head while showing off a handgun inside a west Houston apartment complex."

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texa ... mpid=hpctp
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Houston Man playing with gun shoots himself

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

It is amazing he is still alive. I suppose it is a good thing the magazine was out. he might have shot himself a second time.

Chaparral
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Chaparral »

“At some point, he racked the gun, not realizing he had placed a round in the chamber, according to police. He removed the magazine, put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger, shooting himself.”

I’m torn between just thinking “stupid hurts”, and thinking what a shame it is that no one taught this young man about firearm safety the way my Dad taught me. Lack of knowledge and education, about all manner of topics, is a plague on our society.

03Lightningrocks

LDP wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:01 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:59 pm It is amazing he is still alive. I suppose it is a good thing the magazine was out. he might have shot himself a second time.
His brain spilled out but they are keeping him alive. He will be a vegetable for life, incapable of any brain function.
They'll give him $250,000 salary and make him a democratic senator. Nobody would be able to tell. Shhhhh!
:lol:: He could be speaker of the house some day.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Chaparral wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:08 pm “At some point, he racked the gun, not realizing he had placed a round in the chamber, according to police. He removed the magazine, put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger, shooting himself.”

I’m torn between just thinking “stupid hurts”, and thinking what a shame it is that no one taught this young man about firearm safety the way my Dad taught me. Lack of knowledge and education, about all manner of topics, is a plague on our society.
Maybe he racked the slide to verify that the chamber was empty, then dropped the mag, and somehow missed the fact that the mag had rounds in it?

Of course, there could have been an empty chamber and precisely one round in the mag at the start. That way the mag would be empty when he dropped it? He still would have had to miss the fact that the slide didn't lock back on the empty mag.

Still stupid, but the last scenario at least makes some sense, although it is extremely unlikely.

03Lightningrocks

I have to say that in my entire life, pointing any weapon, even if unloaded, at myself is contrary to every ounce of common sense in my being. I just flat out can't do it. No way, no how.

flechero

Post by flechero »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:12 pm I have to say that in my entire life, pointing any weapon, even if unloaded, at myself is contrary to every ounce of common sense in my being. I just flat out can't do it. No way, no how.
That's because you have common sense and were taught well. I feel for all the kids these dyas who will never be exposed to guns until they are adults on their own. A lack of education will eventually make the left look smarter with regard to gun accidents and incidents of negligence. :grumble

Seems like it should be an easy sell to get basic firearms safety taught in schools. If they really care about safety, this would be easy... but alas they don't give a rip about safety

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:12 pm I have to say that in my entire life, pointing any weapon, even if unloaded, at myself is contrary to every ounce of common sense in my being. I just flat out can't do it. No way, no how.
Words to live by. Literally.

I never touch a firearm without a little thought of risk. Mostly I think of proper handling, but the reason to do so is risk avoidance.

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

How much knowledge do you need about guns to know you don't point one at yourself ever.

Topic author
howdy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by howdy »

Hopefully some good will come out of this. He is young and his organs are still viable. Heart, kidneys, lungs, eyes, skin...... can be transplanted.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

jason812

Post by jason812 »

flechero wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:03 pm
That's because you have common sense and were taught well. I feel for all the kids these dyas who will never be exposed to guns until they are adults on their own. A lack of education will eventually make the left look smarter with regard to gun accidents and incidents of negligence. :grumble

Seems like it should be an easy sell to get basic firearms safety taught in schools. If they really care about safety, this would be easy... but alas they don't give a rip about safety
:iagree: I have seen very smart people who never handled a firearm until they were an adult and it was unnerving to be around them. What was taught to me as a kid seems like common sense now. It is easy to take for granted that, just because someone has some smarts, it's not always the right smarts. Gun safety is learned not instinct.

Yes gun safety should be taught to kids and the easiest way is in the schools. The problem is what kind of gun message would the educated elitist who run the education system give the children? There is no way the public education system would allow the evil NRA to be involved.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”