Church shooting in Tarrant County - White Settlement

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

easy10
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Church shooting in Tarrant County - White Settlement

Post by easy10 »

Michael Bloomberg wants you to believe that gun control is about saving lives, but when a civilian uses his gun to save over 200 people's lives, he doesn’t talk about the lives saved, nor does he congratulate the person who saved those lives.

Instead, he talks about how those people shouldn’t have had those guns because the only people responsible enough to make a decision about saving your life are the cops.

So essentially, our control over those 200 plus lives is more important than your ability to save those same lives. So to Bloomberg, if you use your gun to save lives, he doesn’t care because you’re not a cop.
[/quote]

Keep running into reminders of how wise the Founders were. "A man a wealth cannot judge the needs of the laborer" James Madison

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

anygunanywhere wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:15 am
Mel wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:50 pm
anygunanywhere wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:14 pm
Grayling813 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:59 pm Our justice system is seriously screwed up, which is another reason to never, ever let the government take away law abiding citizens firearms. :mad5 :banghead:
It’s a legal system not a justice system.
Actually it IS a justice system. The name is "The Criminal Justice System".
Actually it isn't about justice any more. It is about privileged classes and money. I stand by my post.

:tiphat:
We have the best Justice System that money can buy.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Keith B
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Keith B »

AUSTIN, Texas (KEYE) - Governor Greg Abbott will present the Governor's Medal of Courage to the man who stopped a gunman in a deadly shooting at a church in North Texas last month.

http://cbsaustin.com/news/local/gov-abb ... rch-gunman
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Paladin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Paladin »

Keith B wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:36 pm AUSTIN, Texas (KEYE) - Governor Greg Abbott will present the Governor's Medal of Courage to the man who stopped a gunman in a deadly shooting at a church in North Texas last month.

http://cbsaustin.com/news/local/gov-abb ... rch-gunman
:thewave :txflag:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

ELB
Posts in topic: 14

Post by ELB »

USAF 1982-2005

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

:thewave
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

ELB

Post by ELB »

CBS had a video report on it. I don't know if it ran in prime time news, I do not watch network tv, but it appears it ran live initially.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-chur ... 020-01-13/
USAF 1982-2005

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

re: 'Hock's analysis.
Was it the best solution? No. Was it the best acceptable solution given that the average church has 1) no money to hire secret service level talent and 2) probably doesn't have secret service level talent among the congregation? Absolutely, especially when the alternative is a Luby's Cafeteria style debacle. And given that the mission of the average church is NOT to "bounce someone's <posterior> to the moon".

Hock, my personal opinion is that you're a jerk. You're comparing apples and oranges.......
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

ELB

Post by ELB »

Some of Hockheim's technical points about conducting security "professionally" are good. Stuff to study when making a security plan.

He completely misses the point that volunteer security teams are in place because the "professionals" are a big drain on the budget of smaller churches. That's why they are "volunteers." It is also expensive in time and money, both of which come out of the pocket of the volunteers. The choice for the church is not between a bunch of amateurs or a professionally trained, years-of-experience, federally-salaried and -pensioned security team with an essentially unlimited budget capable of protecting the president. It is a choice between "nobody" and having a team of those willing to step up, a choice that became legal only a few months ago.

Hockheim's criticizing Jack Wilson and the team in general for stepping up fulfilling their volunteer duties as best they could given the constraints they have is absolutely loathsome and shows Hockheim himself to be an.... let's just say, for the sake of this forum's rules, "unprofessional." I don't think anyone (and I'll bet least of all the vol security team) is disregarding the errors and the missed opportunities by the volunteer security team, but that does not detract from their heroism. Absent that volunteer security team, no doubt the death toll was going to be higher.

I eagerly await his offer to provide volunteer church security teams free training. Oh, but he wants to be paid for his time. Ah.

(And given the antics of the Secret Service over the years, I would hardly hold them up as an example of how to do things).
USAF 1982-2005

Paladin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Paladin »

ELB wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:21 pm Some of Hockheim's technical points about conducting security "professionally" are good. Stuff to study when making a security plan.

He completely misses the point that volunteer security teams are in place because the "professionals" are a big drain on the budget of smaller churches. That's why they are "volunteers." It is also expensive in time and money, both of which come out of the pocket of the volunteers. The choice for the church is not between a bunch of amateurs or a professionally trained, years-of-experience, federally-salaried and -pensioned security team with an essentially unlimited budget capable of protecting the president. It is a choice between "nobody" and having a team of those willing to step up, a choice that became legal only a few months ago.

Hockheim's criticizing Jack Wilson and the team in general for stepping up fulfilling their volunteer duties as best they could given the constraints they have is absolutely loathsome and shows Hockheim himself to be an.... let's just say, for the sake of this forum's rules, "unprofessional." I don't think anyone (and I'll bet least of all the vol security team) is disregarding the errors and the missed opportunities by the volunteer security team, but that does not detract from their heroism. Absent that volunteer security team, no doubt the death toll was going to be higher.

I eagerly await his offer to provide volunteer church security teams free training. Oh, but he wants to be paid for his time. Ah.

(And given the antics of the Secret Service over the years, I would hardly hold them up as an example of how to do things).
:iagree:

Everybody would love to have the Secret Service or Delta force protecting them, but honestly the volunteer security team did an acceptable job and Jack Wilson made a great shot to end the fight. Responding LEO's have too often done worse (being slow to respond, getting themselves killed, or shooting the wrong person). I'm guessing from Hockheim's article that he never actually responded to an active shooting so he might not be all that familiar.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Keith B
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Keith B »

We all know it’s easy to armchair quarterback after an event and point out mistakes made. You could more than likely do that to one of Hockheim’s encounters. It is VERY easy for someone who spent a career doing security to point out errors, especially as said, this is a volunteer group of church members, not Seal Team Six.

That said, the only really critical mistake I believe was made was to allow the guy, dressed like he was, to be in with the congregation. They should have separated him and tried to make sure he was innocuous before letting him into the crowd.

BUT (BIG BUT), that is a tough task, even for experienced security personnel. They knew who he was, and since he had been there before, kinda let their guard down some and let him mingle, even in his state of dress.

Bottom line, once it started, I don’t think it could have been handled much better, even by a team of ‘professionals’.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:04 pm re: 'Hock's analysis.
Was it the best solution? No. Was it the best acceptable solution given that the average church has 1) no money to hire secret service level talent and 2) probably doesn't have secret service level talent among the congregation? Absolutely, especially when the alternative is a Luby's Cafeteria style debacle. And given that the mission of the average church is NOT to "bounce someone's <posterior> to the moon".

Hock, my personal opinion is that you're a jerk. You're comparing apples and oranges.......
Bingo. A church service is NOT a multi-layered super secret service SWAT protected event. It just isn’t, and if a church's leadership tried to make it that way, I’d worship elsewhere. Yes, churches need security teams, and the bigger the church and the more complicated it’s operations, the more complicated the security posture needs to be. But balanced against that is whether or not you are losing sight of the church's mission - which is the Great Commission. If you lose sight of that, your in a misled church. And part of the Great Commission is making sure that the spiritually hungry can enter and and be fed from The Word.

Anyone who has volunteered extensively at a church has experienced the rootless and the weird wandering in looking for a handout. It’s a fact of church life, and if you harden yourself against the possibility, then you fail in your mission.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “The Crime Blotter”