GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Post Reply

Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 59
Posts: 13029
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#1

Post by philip964 » Fri May 01, 2020 10:06 am

https://news.yahoo.com/black-georgia-ma ... 51293.html

A man out jogging was chased after and shot to death by two other men. Police have not made an arrest and know who the vigilantes are.

Racial stereotyping apparently occurred.


srothstein
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 9
Posts: 4506
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Luling, TX

Re: GA: Jogger chased and murdered

#2

Post by srothstein » Fri May 01, 2020 11:03 am

I see no evidence of racial stereotyping in the story. I did see that the story was written with a bias and used words with specific connotations though.

This whole story and crime or not will depend on who is telling the truth. Did the two white men who stopped the black jogger actually see him at the construction site stealing anything? Did they recognize him from other break-ins? Did he start to fight with them when they stopped him? If all three of those are yesses, then the shooting was justified, IMO. Depending which ones are not true the shooting become a gray area. If all three are not true, then the shooting becomes a murder, and in Texas maybe a capital murder committed during a kidnapping.

My answers are of course based on my interpretation of Texas law. I am not familiar enough with Georgia law to have an answer for where the case really occurred.
Steve Rothstein


Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 59
Posts: 13029
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#3

Post by philip964 » Fri May 01, 2020 12:29 pm

Seems if the jogger was carrying construction materials on his person or carrying jewelry from a recent robbery that would be in the story.

Otherwise what would the two men with guns be doing?

Hold him for police to come and arrest him for what?

Trespassing maybe? Was the construction site posted?

Sounds very sketchy?

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 36
Posts: 4212
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#4

Post by oljames3 » Fri May 01, 2020 12:37 pm

Attorney Andrew Branca reviewed this incident 4/30/20. His review is posted on his blog and will be available for 3 days. You can join at the FREE Bronze level to have access to the most recent three posts. Andrew discusses the media coverage of this incident and the George Zimmerman case.
https://lawofselfdefense.com/news-qa-april-30-2020/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1


Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 59
Posts: 13029
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#5

Post by philip964 » Fri May 01, 2020 12:48 pm

oljames3 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:37 pm
Attorney Andrew Branca reviewed this incident 4/30/20. His review is posted on his blog and will be available for 3 days. You can join at the FREE Bronze level to have access to the most recent three posts. Andrew discusses the media coverage of this incident and the George Zimmerman case.
https://lawofselfdefense.com/news-qa-april-30-2020/
Material not available for free.


Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 59
Posts: 13029
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#6

Post by philip964 » Fri May 01, 2020 12:51 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/article/ahmaud- ... YHF4eb9d17

NY Time article on the self defense killing or murder.

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 36
Posts: 4212
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#7

Post by oljames3 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:08 pm

philip964 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:48 pm
oljames3 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:37 pm
Attorney Andrew Branca reviewed this incident 4/30/20. His review is posted on his blog and will be available for 3 days. You can join at the FREE Bronze level to have access to the most recent three posts. Andrew discusses the media coverage of this incident and the George Zimmerman case.
https://lawofselfdefense.com/news-qa-april-30-2020/
Material not available for free.
Yes, philip964, it is available for free. Just join the blog at the FREE Bronze level to see the last three posts.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1


Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 59
Posts: 13029
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#8

Post by philip964 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:37 pm

oljames3 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:08 pm
philip964 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:48 pm
oljames3 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:37 pm
Attorney Andrew Branca reviewed this incident 4/30/20. His review is posted on his blog and will be available for 3 days. You can join at the FREE Bronze level to have access to the most recent three posts. Andrew discusses the media coverage of this incident and the George Zimmerman case.
https://lawofselfdefense.com/news-qa-april-30-2020/
Material not available for free.
Yes, philip964, it is available for free. Just join the blog at the FREE Bronze level to see the last three posts.
Ok thanks


Grayling813
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1407
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:18 am

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#9

Post by Grayling813 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:46 pm

Lee Merritt is the family's attorney...
"If safety requires us to indefinitely forfeit the most valuable parts of our lives, what exactly are we trying to save?"
~ A.J. Kay


Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 59
Posts: 13029
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#10

Post by philip964 » Fri May 01, 2020 3:12 pm

philip964 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:37 pm
oljames3 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:08 pm
philip964 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:48 pm
oljames3 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:37 pm
Attorney Andrew Branca reviewed this incident 4/30/20. His review is posted on his blog and will be available for 3 days. You can join at the FREE Bronze level to have access to the most recent three posts. Andrew discusses the media coverage of this incident and the George Zimmerman case.
https://lawofselfdefense.com/news-qa-april-30-2020/
Material not available for free.
Yes, philip964, it is available for free. Just join the blog at the FREE Bronze level to see the last three posts.
Ok thanks
His seemed as biased in the other direction as the liberal MSM.

Not a lot of facts other than the two men say he attacked the other one and the other shot to defend him.

He also said it has been reviewed by someone and no charges have been filed.

It didn’t say if the men were concealed carrying or were openly pointing them in the direction of the dead man.

It seemed to indicate Georgia law was on their side, but gave no specifics.

They may have said they recognized the man from recent burglaries. OK. Better eye witnesses than I am.

Young man lived with his mother. Played football in high school. No mention of where he worked. Liked to stay in shape thus the running. He has a past record. Brought a handgun to a football game. May have mental issues.

The New York Times has a surprisingly even handed story.

Three DA’s have seen it. Everyone has recused themselves.

The one man was legally open carrying a shotgun. He was the one supposedly attacked, by the dead man. But he may have been shot with the shotgun twice. No mention what kind of shotgun. That could be important.


K.Mooneyham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 2157
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:27 pm
Location: Vernon, Texas

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#11

Post by K.Mooneyham » Fri May 01, 2020 10:54 pm

Grayling813 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:46 pm
Lee Merritt is the family's attorney...
If that guy told me the sky was blue, I'd step outside to check for myself...and I'll leave it at that.


Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 59
Posts: 13029
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#12

Post by philip964 » Sat May 02, 2020 12:15 am

K.Mooneyham wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:54 pm
Grayling813 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:46 pm
Lee Merritt is the family's attorney...
If that guy told me the sky was blue, I'd step outside to check for myself...and I'll leave it at that.
I was not sure whose family. The two men who went after the jogger/burglar/trespasser are from the same family.

So I looked up the lawyer.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... -policing/

He wants to change policing.

In other things I have read:

Apparently there is video of the shooting, taken by a third person who was part of the chase.

Georgia has a citizen arrest law.

There apparently may be video showing the break ins or trespassing or the dead man jogging before.

The family is upset the Coronavirus has not allowed them to have protest marches and it has also kept it out of the national news for now.

User avatar

AndyC
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 9
Posts: 11117
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Garland, TX

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#13

Post by AndyC » Tue May 05, 2020 10:38 pm

"In his view, Mr. Moore said, the McMichaels appeared to be the aggressors in the confrontation, and such aggressors were not justified in using force under Georgia’s self-defense laws."
Remember Kitty Genovese

Image

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club, Iraq
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4775
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#14

Post by ScottDLS » Tue May 05, 2020 10:41 pm

All this story needs is a "white Hispanic" and maybe a "hands up don't shoot" chant.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 36
Posts: 4212
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: GA: "Jogger" chased and murdered

#15

Post by oljames3 » Tue May 05, 2020 10:52 pm

Attorney Andrew Branca, Law of Self Defense, review this and noted several close similarities with the media-feeding-frenzy over George Zimmerman.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1

Post Reply

Return to “The Crime Blotter”