George Floyd who died from drug overdose was from Texas

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Man who died from knee to neck was from Texas

Post by Flightmare »

striker55 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:52 am So in protest looting stores to make people feel better. I don't get it, yes police are responsible but stealing TV's doesn't make any sense.

It is not the police or the department responsible, it is the individual who used excessive force and those who chose to allow those actions.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

Something is wrong in Minnesota, Philando Castile, Justine Damond and Ahmaud Aubrey. I don't think it's racism, just a willingness to kill.

I understood it when they attacked the police station, but Target didn't do anything wrong.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

baseballguy2001
Posts in topic: 2

Post by baseballguy2001 »

Would use of force be justified here in Texas against a cop doing that to a perp?

I agree with other posters - if the bystanding cops didn't shoot and kill the citizen attempting to prevent a tragedy, that person would certainly be on his way to the hospital after the cops get done. Having said that, until police forces around the country stop this sort of thing, the next step is going to be very violent and quite possibly the start of a civil war. Fort Worth has a case pending on an ex officer shooting a woman in her house thru a back window. The officer never made a statement to investigators and he was fired. He was later indicted, but as I said, he hasn't been tried yet. Remember the night in Dallas when five cops were shot during a peace parade? Just imagine if instead of one lone sniper with a Dragunov rifle, a half dozen or more with interlocking fields of fire and simultaneous targets all around a city. That, friends, would be a catastrophe.
Last edited by baseballguy2001 on Thu May 28, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 78

Post by philip964 »

I was in a jury pool for a man who beat his wife and also put his hands around her neck and pressed for some short period of time.

She filed criminal charges against him.

He had a very good defense attorney.

Near as I can tell, beating your wife or husband is one thing in Texas, but putting your hands around her or his neck and pressing for some period of time is a whole different matter.

It sounded like this guy was facing 20 years to life in prison even though his wife was not seriously injured.

Defense attorney was making it out like this was just all pressure being put on the husband in their divorce case.

But even his defense attorney mentioned about the seriousness of the charges and the seriousness of this trial.

So in Texas at least, doing something to someones neck is a big no no.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 14

Post by srothstein »

philip964 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:14 pmSo in Texas at least, doing something to someones neck is a big no no.
While this section probably needs to be expanded, it is only for family violence.
Sec. 22.01. ASSAULT.
(a) A person commits an offense if the person:
(1) intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causes bodily injury to another, including the person's spouse;
(2) intentionally or knowingly threatens another with imminent bodily injury, including the person's spouse; or
(3) intentionally or knowingly causes physical contact with another when the person knows or should reasonably believe that the other will regard the contact as offensive or provocative.
(b) An offense under Subsection (a)(1) is a Class A misdemeanor, except that the offense is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed against:
(1) a person the actor knows is a public servant while the public servant is lawfully discharging an official duty, or in retaliation or on account of an exercise of official power or performance of an official duty as a public servant;
(2) a person whose relationship to or association with the defendant is described by Section 71.0021(b), 71.003, or 71.005, Family Code, if:
(A) it is shown on the trial of the offense that the defendant has been previously convicted of an offense under this chapter, Chapter 19, or Section 20.03, 20.04, 21.11, or 25.11 against a person whose relationship to or
association with the defendant is described by Section 71.0021(b), 71.003, or 71.005, Family Code; or
(B) the offense is committed by intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly impeding the normal breathing or circulation of the blood of the person by applying pressure to the person's throat or neck or by blocking the person's nose or mouth;
EDIT: Sorry, I tired to format it to make the law easier to read with the proper indention but the forum software took it out. Basically, the law says causing someone an injury is a class A misdemeanor unless a family member chokes or strangles someone, which makes it a third degree felony.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Inside a store in Minneapolis.
Attachments
798E4F4D-2293-4D2B-A01D-767D56EFC9D8.jpeg

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

So it's okay to choke a stranger to death?
NRA Endowment Member

Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

The optics definitely look bad but I'm extremely curious to see what the autopsy results say once they're published.
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
"Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- M218

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://apple.news/ATVmDVOOhRcmvnaK050Z9yA

Prosecutors are 2 hours late to a press conference they called saying their is new evidence and then say they have no evidence yet to charge anyone in the death.

Can’t be rushed.

https://www.fox9.com/video/688884

Police Chief says looters not from the City.

On same Fox9 website. Officers not cooperating with the investigation.

cirus

Post by cirus »

philip964 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:21 am

I did notice in the videos of the looting that almost all were wearing Covid-19 masks.
That would make me feel alot better. While they're stealing and burning all my crap there care enough not to infect me. :grumble

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://sports.yahoo.com/amy-klobuchar- ... 28902.html

Dem. Amy Klobuchar declined prosecuting officer when she was DA.

strogg

Post by strogg »

https://kstp.com/news/minnesota-nationa ... h/5743967/

National guard activated.

I understand they need to be careful when arresting and charging in this particular case due to the high profile matter. But still... Can't it go any faster?

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

This is getting bad. I'm looking at a burning police station on CNN right now. National guard en route. I pray for those in Minneapolis right now.

grim-bob

Post by grim-bob »

Agree about it getting bad. Protesting is one thing and completely reasonable right now. But ceding a police station is going to set the wrong precedent in my opinion. I don't wish for more confrontation but you do have to set some boundaries to civil discourse especially when the government largely is agreeing with your point already. Unfortunately, it is likely the people taking advantage of the situation and not actually those who are really there to protest. Hard to separate the 2 out though to take care of the problem. Maybe time for some water hoses to help disperse, i suspect they might be running low on flash bangs, etc at this point from the videos I've been seeing. Seems some fire hoses or the water cannons would be safer at this point.
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

grim-bob wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:43 pm Agree about it getting bad. Protesting is one thing and completely reasonable right now. But ceding a police station is going to set the wrong precedent in my opinion. I don't wish for more confrontation but you do have to set some boundaries to civil discourse especially when the government largely is agreeing with your point already. Unfortunately, it is likely the people taking advantage of the situation and not actually those who are really there to protest. Hard to separate the 2 out though to take care of the problem. Maybe time for some water hoses to help disperse, I suspect they might be running low on flash bangs, etc at this point from the videos I've been seeing. Seems some fire hoses or the water cannons would be safer at this point.
I am glad to see they went after the source of the problem. The thugs were in the wrong when they destroyed property of the people that had nothing to do with the murder. Burning cars and housing, looting of cars is just wrong. Minneapolis Police have ongoing issues and too eager kill civilians. This isn't about race, they seem to be indiscriminate. The folks have found their Bastille. and need to focus on their real enemy. They need to stop burning housing retailers and automobiles. They need to focus on do-nothing district attorneys such as Amy Kobuchar and the current DA. I do have a feeling though that same people burning the cars are the same ones that voted for the do-nothing DAs. Has anyone heard from Amy?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “The Crime Blotter”