TX: one dead at shooting during police protest in downtown Austin tonight

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Re: TX: one dead at shooting during police protest in downtown Austin tonight

Post by C-dub »

srothstein wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:03 pm
C-dub wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:56 pm Why the Sargent was there at that time is going to be of critical importance. I don't think he will be able to claim that he was just out for a drive and happened upon the protest. It is going to be a difficult path for him to navigate.
He said he had just dropped off an Uber fare. Their records should show the exact location and time.
That's good. I'm glad for the Sargent and hope he gets through this well.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Mike S
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Mike S »

C-dub wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:56 pm Why the Sargent was there at that time is going to be of critical importance. I don't think he will be able to claim that he was just out for a drive and happened upon the protest. It is going to be a difficult path for him to navigate.
I politely disagree. He was lawfully present, driving on a public street, making a right hand turn at an intersection that just happened to coincide with a gaggle of people walking up to / through the intersection at about the same exact time.

Unfortunate timing, but I don't see anything that would suggest an unlawful presence or committing a crime.

Aggie_engr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Aggie_engr »

Perry’s attorney confirms what srothstein said.
According to Broden, Perry dropped off a rideshare customer near Congress Avenue before turning onto Congress Avenue near Fourth Street. Perry, who said he did not know protests were happening that night, found himself surrounded by a group of protesters. Several of the protesters allegedly beat on Perry's car.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kvue. ... cb01b9c191

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Mike S wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:21 pm
I politely disagree. He was lawfully present, driving on a public street, making a right hand turn at an intersection that just happened to coincide with a gaggle of people walking up to / through the intersection at about the same exact time.

Unfortunate timing, but I don't see anything that would suggest an unlawful presence or committing a crime.
Lawful or unlawful presence is one thing, but intent is quite another. I, living in the DFW area, would be within my rights to be present in Austin at the same time the Sargent was, but I don’t have any business being there and it would also be an area I would avoid since I'm not looking for trouble. You’re right, though, that alone doesn’t change the legality of my presence. Unless I am looking for trouble, which I hope is not the case for the Sargent. I would hate to find out he specifically chose to pick up that Uber passenger to place himself in that area intentionally.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

C-dub wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:48 am

Lawful or unlawful presence is one thing, but intent is quite another. I, living in the DFW area, would be within my rights to be present in Austin at the same time the Sargent was, but I don’t have any business being there and it would also be an area I would avoid since I'm not looking for trouble. You’re right, though, that alone doesn’t change the legality of my presence. Unless I am looking for trouble, which I hope is not the case for the Sargent. I would hate to find out he specifically chose to pick up that Uber passenger to place himself in that area intentionally.
That is very tough to prove in court of law. The defense lawyer would say, that is an imaginative presumptions, and guilt of homicide has to proven beyond shadow of doubt.
On the other hand,
Serial killers plan their crimes like a horror movie director. Sometimes, their the act does not go as planned, the crime is aborted. Other times, they succeed. Howewer, in their last crime, they got busted because of unforeseen complications in their act, or because they are being monitored.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Paladin
Posts in topic: 38

Post by Paladin »

Whatever it's worth, Infowars is reporting Austin city council/police has video of Foster pointing his AK-47 at cars at previous "peaceful protests" (at approx 11 min in)

The story goes Foster would knock on windows, point his AK-47 at the occupants, and demand they give their verbal support to BLM at gunpoint. Charming
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

Images of bullet hole and other damage to Perry's car.

parabelum
Posts in topic: 7

Post by parabelum »

But....that just can’t be...he was just peaceful protestor who was killed in cold blood... :roll:

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 14

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Paladin wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:27 pm Whatever it's worth, Infowars is reporting Austin city council/police has video of Foster pointing his AK-47 at cars at previous "peaceful protests" (at approx 11 min in)

The story goes Foster would knock on windows, point his AK-47 at the occupants, and demand they give their verbal support to BLM at gunpoint. Charming
He should have just hung a sign off his neck that said, Shoot Me Please.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 38

Post by Paladin »

uthornsfan wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:12 pm Images of bullet hole and other damage to Perry's car.

With mounting evidence I would like to see the person who fired that shot arrested.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

FastCarry

Post by FastCarry »

C-dub wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:48 am

The Uber Driver app doesnt tell you the destination until youve accepted the pickup. Unless he cancelled other pickups then chose to complete that one, no other way he could have chosen the particular drop off.

Redneck_Buddha
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

If there is a trial and a legal defense fund, I'm in for a hundy.

DEB

Post by DEB »

Also, due to this shooting as well as other violence in the Austin area, all Fort Hood soldiers cannot got to the Austin area, including Round Rock/Pluggerville and etc without the express approval from the 1st 0-6 in their Chain of Command (usually the Brigade Commander).
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

DEB wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:11 pm Also, due to this shooting as well as other violence in the Austin area, all Fort Hood soldiers cannot got to the Austin area, including Round Rock/Pluggerville and etc without the express approval from the 1st 0-6 in their Chain of Command (usually the Brigade Commander).
That sounds odd. Any links to this information? What if they live in or around Georgetown or Round Round less than an hour away from Fort Hood? Maybe there's a night time restriction?

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

The order was due to high Covid cases and included Travis, Harris, Dallas, Bexar, and I believe Tarrant counties. There are exceptions for personnel who actually live and commute from Travis County as well as official business.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Return to “The Crime Blotter”