TX: one dead at shooting during police protest in downtown Austin tonight

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 9403
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: TX: one dead at shooting during police protest in downtown Austin tonight

#91

Post by 03Lightningrocks » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:03 pm

flechero wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:56 pm
Can someone with twitter respond to that with the pic of him holding the scary black rifle by the car and not by the girlfriend?
I would love to but twitter banned me for hate speech. I saw a video of a bunch of islamic terrorists rushing over the greek border, throwing rocks and swinging sticks. I said that is an invasion of the Greek nation and the soldiers should shoot to kill.

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 6609
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: TX: one dead at shooting during police protest in downtown Austin tonight

#92

Post by Pawpaw » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:59 pm

flechero wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:56 pm
Can someone with twitter respond to that with the pic of him holding the scary black rifle by the car and not by the girlfriend?
The pic has already been posted in this thread: https://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic ... 0#p1290372
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member


flechero
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 3039
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: TX: one dead at shooting during police protest in downtown Austin tonight

#93

Post by flechero » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:19 am

Pawpaw wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:59 pm
flechero wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:56 pm
Can someone with twitter respond to that with the pic of him holding the scary black rifle by the car and not by the girlfriend?
The pic has already been posted in this thread: https://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic ... 0#p1290372
I've seen it, but was asking about posting it on twitter so that there was a clear pic showing that he was armed, next to the car and NOT by the girl. (hoping to slow the spread of the lies) He left the girl in the chair to assault the driver...


Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 9
Posts: 12221
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: TX: one dead at shooting during police protest in downtown Austin tonight

#94

Post by philip964 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:34 am

https://apple.news/ADgVMdUg2Sm2Zu9T5Z1kZZQ

Army Sargent says he acted in self defense.

User avatar

AndyC
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 10950
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Garland, TX

Re: TX: one dead at shooting during police protest in downtown Austin tonight

#95

Post by AndyC » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:50 am

AndyC wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:19 am
I read somewhere that the car-driver who shot AK-boi is an Army sergeant who was moonlighting as an Uber driver.
Glad my sources were correct.
Remember Kitty Genovese

Image

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club, Iraq
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

User avatar

Paladin
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 16
Posts: 3205
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:02 pm
Location: DFW

Re: TX: one dead at shooting during police protest in downtown Austin tonight

#96

Post by Paladin » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:19 am

philip964 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:34 am
https://apple.news/ADgVMdUg2Sm2Zu9T5Z1kZZQ

Army Sargent says he acted in self defense.
I salute you SGT Perry! :txflag:
JOIN NRA TODAY!
NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life Member, VCDL Member
NRA Certified Instructor, RSO
Paladin Training

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 6609
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: TX: one dead at shooting during police protest in downtown Austin tonight

#97

Post by Pawpaw » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:14 pm

flechero wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:19 am
Pawpaw wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:59 pm
flechero wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:56 pm
Can someone with twitter respond to that with the pic of him holding the scary black rifle by the car and not by the girlfriend?
The pic has already been posted in this thread: https://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic ... 0#p1290372
I've seen it, but was asking about posting it on twitter so that there was a clear pic showing that he was armed, next to the car and NOT by the girl. (hoping to slow the spread of the lies) He left the girl in the chair to assault the driver...
That IS the twitter pic. It has been posted that twitter has since deleted it. I don't have twitter, so I can only take their word for it.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member


flechero
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 3039
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: TX: one dead at shooting during police protest in downtown Austin tonight

#98

Post by flechero » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:53 pm

Ahh, missed that in the other thread, thanks for clearing it up!


parabelum
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 2243
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:22 pm

Re: TX: one dead at shooting during police protest in downtown Austin tonight

#99

Post by parabelum » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:31 am

This dude went to the protest armed not to defend his right to protest, but to use the weapon to intimidate others who have an opposing view. That’s based on him running his trap shortly before the incident. So, he went there looking for trouble and indeed he found it.
Whether the muzzle is pointed slightly down or one inch up is irrelevant to me if the person is approaching my vehicle at an aggressive stance with a weapon. I would also not spend few minutes deliberating whether his intent at that moment is to kill or just intimidate me. My actions would have been same as the driver. Stop the oncoming threat and get away.
Also, the driver likely had no clue if there’s someone else approaching from the back, the side etc. He was legally there trying to drive as he was, in my opinion, ambushed by the mob.
Lesson for those like this “peaceful protester”, there are many of us who are likely better trained and armed then you. Don’t force us into corner.
Credendo Vides


Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 9
Posts: 12221
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: TX: one dead at shooting during police protest in downtown Austin tonight

#100

Post by philip964 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:43 am

https://www.click2houston.com/news/texa ... nstrators/

Apparently the Sargent tweeted things on social media that present a view that is not helpful should he be charged with a crime, supposedly. The post were under a screen name, but a communist website has linked it him. The posts have since been taken down.

"In June, when President Donald Trump tweeted that "protesters, anarchists, agitators, looters or lowlifes" protesting in Oklahoma would face "a much different scene" than protesters in New York or Minneapolis, Perry responded from a now-deleted account with the username “@knivesfromtrigu”. The tweet read, "Send them to Texas we will show them why we say don't mess with Texas." That account was identified as being connected to Perry by Tribune of the People, which bills itself as a “revolutionary news service.”"

Here is what the Tribune of the People thinks : (caution if you do not regularly read the other side it could cause stress)

https://tribuneofthepeople.news/2020/07 ... he-people/


K.Mooneyham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 2115
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:27 pm
Location: Vernon, Texas

Re: TX: one dead at shooting during police protest in downtown Austin tonight

#101

Post by K.Mooneyham » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:09 am

philip964 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:43 am
https://www.click2houston.com/news/texa ... nstrators/

Apparently the Sargent tweeted things on social media that present a view that is not helpful should he be charged with a crime, supposedly. The post were under a screen name, but a communist website has linked it him. The posts have since been taken down.

"In June, when President Donald Trump tweeted that "protesters, anarchists, agitators, looters or lowlifes" protesting in Oklahoma would face "a much different scene" than protesters in New York or Minneapolis, Perry responded from a now-deleted account with the username “@knivesfromtrigu”. The tweet read, "Send them to Texas we will show them why we say don't mess with Texas." That account was identified as being connected to Perry by Tribune of the People, which bills itself as a “revolutionary news service.”"

Here is what the Tribune of the People thinks : (caution if you do not regularly read the other side it could cause stress)

https://tribuneofthepeople.news/2020/07 ... he-people/
There is a Texas Tribune article talking about this, if you can stomach the obviously biased writing via the use of weasel words along with biased "sources". As always, Mark Twain was right:

"If you don't read the newspapers, you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers, you are misinformed."

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 4007
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: TX: one dead at shooting during police protest in downtown Austin tonight

#102

Post by oljames3 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:22 am

Attorney Andrew Branca discussed this incident for the perspective of the law of self defense. https://lawofselfdefense.com/news-qa-july-30-2020/
The actual relevant legal analysis of this is very straightforward. Was the driver of the vehicle an innocent party, a non-aggressor, who had a reasonable perception of an imminent threat of death or great bodily injury from Garrett foster? If the answer to that question is yes, then his use of deadly defensive force was justified, period. If the answer to that is no, then his use of deadly defensive force is not justified, period.
So this is just a straight up self-defense case has nothing to do with Castle Doctrine, nothing to do with stand your ground, nothing to do with special provisions for the defense of highly defensible property, straight up self-defense.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1


K.Mooneyham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 2115
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:27 pm
Location: Vernon, Texas

Re: TX: one dead at shooting during police protest in downtown Austin tonight

#103

Post by K.Mooneyham » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:34 am

oljames3 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:22 am
Attorney Andrew Branca discussed this incident for the perspective of the law of self defense. https://lawofselfdefense.com/news-qa-july-30-2020/
The actual relevant legal analysis of this is very straightforward. Was the driver of the vehicle an innocent party, a non-aggressor, who had a reasonable perception of an imminent threat of death or great bodily injury from Garrett foster? If the answer to that question is yes, then his use of deadly defensive force was justified, period. If the answer to that is no, then his use of deadly defensive force is not justified, period.
So this is just a straight up self-defense case has nothing to do with Castle Doctrine, nothing to do with stand your ground, nothing to do with special provisions for the defense of highly defensible property, straight up self-defense.
I used to whole-heartedly believe that. I'm having increasingly serious trouble these days thinking that way, though. Now it seems to be about how a politically-motivated prosecutor can convince a carefully picked jury, weeded out during voir dire to be the most malleable. The rule of law is very close to the edge of being useless in many parts of this nation. I find that both sad and disgusting, but also a powerful motivator to stay out of any large city where the odds of getting into a bad situation increase.

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 13002
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: TX: one dead at shooting during police protest in downtown Austin tonight

#104

Post by C-dub » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:56 pm

Why the Sargent was there at that time is going to be of critical importance. I don't think he will be able to claim that he was just out for a drive and happened upon the protest. It is going to be a difficult path for him to navigate.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider


srothstein
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 4384
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Luling, TX

Re: TX: one dead at shooting during police protest in downtown Austin tonight

#105

Post by srothstein » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:03 pm

C-dub wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:56 pm
Why the Sargent was there at that time is going to be of critical importance. I don't think he will be able to claim that he was just out for a drive and happened upon the protest. It is going to be a difficult path for him to navigate.
He said he had just dropped off an Uber fare. Their records should show the exact location and time.
Steve Rothstein

Post Reply

Return to “The Crime Blotter”