HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 10

Re: HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

Post by Purplehood »

The concept of any state allowing individual counties to opt in or out of permitting the exercise of Constitutional rights is simply ridiculous in my opinion.
For that matter, the concept of any nation allowing individual states to opt in or out of permitting the exercise of Constitutional rights is ridiculous.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

texasjeep44
Posts in topic: 3

Post by texasjeep44 »

I fail to see how CA gun laws are better than TX laws.

Open carry really isn't open carry in CA. Not being able to carry a loaded gun anyplace you can't legally discharge it isn't open carry in my book. The bottom is a link to CA laws and all the restrictions that they place on firearms. I will take Texas laws over that nonsense any day. Notice it says loaded firearm, not just handgun. If you want to argue about which is better CA or TX, please include where you can carry loaded long guns in Texas when you're making the comparison.
5. LOADED FIREARMS
Loaded Firearms in a Public Place
It is unlawful to carry a loaded firearm on one’s person or in a vehicle while in any public
place, on any public street, or in any place where it is unlawful to discharge a firearm.
(Penal Code § 12031(a)(1).)
http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/cfl.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just remember shot placement is much more important with what you shoot than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.

http://www.ddchl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

74novaman
Posts in topic: 14

Post by 74novaman »

texasjeep44 wrote: If you want to argue about which is better CA or TX, please include where you can carry loaded long guns in Texas when you're making the comparison.
Very good point. I could carry my AK-47 with one 'o them evil 30 round magazines openly on the passenger seat of my car in Texas and be perfectly legal. Try that in CA. ;-)
TANSTAAFL

jlangton
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jlangton »

AggieLCP wrote:I'm afraid if open carry passes we will see a lot more 30.06 postings.
The state needs to hurry up and pass the parking lot bill though.
Something to think about.....With just the thought of parking lot and campus carry passing-I've seen valid 30.06 signs go up at several of my daily visited locations. When I inquired at 2 of those locations as to the nature of those signs, their response was "So people that carry guns in their cars if that new law passes can't bring them inside the building here".
Just something to think about in all of this huffing and puffing about increased 30.06 postings.
IMO, if/when the Parking Lot/Campus Carry bills pass-you'll see a HUGE increase in the number of 30.06 signs posted.
JL
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

Keith B
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Keith B »

jlangton wrote:
AggieLCP wrote:I'm afraid if open carry passes we will see a lot more 30.06 postings.
Something to think about.....With just the thought of parking lot and campus carry passing-I've seen valid 30.06 signs go up at several of my daily visited locations. When I inquired at 2 of those locations as to the nature of those signs, their response was "So people that carry guns in their cars if that new law passes can't bring them inside the building here".
Just something to think about in all of this huffing and puffing about increased 30.06 postings.
IMO, if/when the Parking Lot/Campus Carry bills pass-you'll see a HUGE increase in the number of 30.06 signs posted.
JL
30.06 will not apply to an employee if their gun is left in the car in the parking lot. HOWEVER, it WILL apply to a non-employee with a CHL in the parking lot, but not someone under MPA.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jlangton

Post by jlangton »

Keith B wrote:
jlangton wrote:
JL
30.06 will not apply to an employee if their gun is left in the car in the parking lot. HOWEVER, it WILL apply to a non-employee with a CHL in the parking lot, but not someone under MPA.
I understand that, but the entire point was that these locations prior to all of this "parking lot bill" media attention had absolutely no signage whatsoever,and didn't care. Now that they are more "aware", they're posting 30.06 signs. Since this last legislative session has started, and the associated media coverage-the number of signs I'm encountering on my daily "rounds" is increasing regularly. Prior to this, I had not seen a single new 30.06 posting in several years.
JL
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

jlangton wrote:I understand that, but the entire point was that these locations prior to all of this "parking lot bill" media attention had absolutely no signage whatsoever,and didn't care. Now that they are more "aware", they're posting 30.06 signs. Since this last legislative session has started, and the associated media coverage-the number of signs I'm encountering on my daily "rounds" is increasing regularly. Prior to this, I had not seen a single new 30.06 posting in several years.
JL
So, what types of places are you seeing this happen at? I haven't seen any, but just curious about where they are cropping up?

And, this goes to prove the theory that IF open carry gets any steam, that the increase in 30.06 postings IS factual.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

jlangton

Post by jlangton »

Keith B wrote:
jlangton wrote:I understand that, but the entire point was that these locations prior to all of this "parking lot bill" media attention had absolutely no signage whatsoever,and didn't care. Now that they are more "aware", they're posting 30.06 signs. Since this last legislative session has started, and the associated media coverage-the number of signs I'm encountering on my daily "rounds" is increasing regularly. Prior to this, I had not seen a single new 30.06 posting in several years.
JL
So, what types of places are you seeing this happen at? I haven't seen any, but just curious about where they are cropping up?

And, this goes to prove the theory that IF open carry gets any steam, that the increase in 30.06 postings IS factual.
I don't totally agree with that. Here's why.
The persons that I have asked about the signs specifically said they wanted to keep individuals with CHL's out of their building, and that those with CHL's would be the ones to be carrying in their cars on the parking lots. Before this media attention about the parking lots they either didn't care to know, or ignored that there were those with CHL's that did carry in their building regularly.
I've seen the signs at mostly smaller places that most would not recognize, but one of the big ones is Graybar Electric.
JL
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

If this bill passed in its current format (which is no beuno for CHler's IMHO) signs could increase, and probably would.

But…
Keith B wrote: And, this goes to prove the theory that IF open carry gets any steam, that the increase in 30.06 postings IS factual.
If the bill was written correctly 30.06 would not have anything to do with CHL. I don’t think the majority of OC’ers care about what affect their legislation may have on CHL’ers. However, CHL’ers better start caring soon about the affects of OC legislation, and come up with a game plan to redirect this and future legislature in a direction that make us OC’ers and CHL’ers happy.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

pcgizzmo

Post by pcgizzmo »

So, this bill seems to be moving along. What are the plans to derail or change it up? Do we still think it's not going to make it through?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

jlangton wrote:
Keith B wrote:
JL

The persons that I have asked about the signs specifically said they wanted to keep individuals with CHL's out of their building, and that those with CHL's would be the ones to be carrying in their cars on the parking lots. Before this media attention about the parking lots they either didn't care to know, or ignored that there were those with CHL's that did carry in their building regularly.
I've seen the signs at mostly smaller places that most would not recognize, but one of the big ones is Graybar Electric.
JL
Well, I do think this is proof. Bottom line, the media attention on just the parking lot bill has apparently been enough for these companies to research and find the legitimate way of keeping CHL'ers out. The way the Open Carry bill is currently written, a 30.06 would keep open carry AND CHL'ers out. Now, not only have people been made more aware from the media coverage, but you add those that maybe don't just look at the paper, but suddenly see people walking around with a gun on their hip, and they will also research what it takes to keep people from carrying a gun into their business.

Now, let's assume that open carry got passed where any gun busters sign was valid. The business researches how to keep people with guns out. While they may stop at just the gun busters sign, if management decides they want NO ONE with a gun in their business, then they will go through the process of posting the 30.06 and now even CHL's are not allowed. And you can bet that if Open Carry gets any steam and gets media attention, and it WILL get a LOT of attention, there will be those out there looking at how to keep handguns out of their businesses, just as you are seeing today with only the parking lot bill. :banghead:
Keith

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 35

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

jlangton wrote:
Keith B wrote:
jlangton wrote:
JL
I understand that, but the entire point was that these locations prior to all of this "parking lot bill" media attention had absolutely no signage whatsoever,and didn't care. Now that they are more "aware", they're posting 30.06 signs. Since this last legislative session has started, and the associated media coverage-the number of signs I'm encountering on my daily "rounds" is increasing regularly. Prior to this, I had not seen a single new 30.06 posting in several years.
JL
What part of southeast Texas are you in? I haven't seen one single new sign in the Houston area.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 35

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

jlangton wrote:
Keith B wrote:
JL

JL
What companies have you talked to?

Chas.

JKTex
Posts in topic: 24

Post by JKTex »

Soooooooo, I've been told this bill was drafted by the Lone Star Citizens Defense League. After reading through this thread, and I'm very glad I did, it's an eye opener, I saw their name come up maybe once. Here's an excerpt:
We are the ones who drafted HB 2756. Originally it was for Constitutional Open Carry but we sniffed the wind and thought that we'd better save that for next session. In fact, next session we're going for Constitutional Carry with the option to have a permit if you want one for traveling out of state and the other benefits we have with it now.
One of the most enlightening things I've read recently was Charles' long post a couple pages back. "We the people" usually acknowledge that getting laws passed is a cumbersome effort, but reading that was a real awakening of everything that is involved and how complex it really is. And those comments about lawyers getting involved demonstrate how many people are truly in need of enlightenment! :tiphat: At first glance, I was glad to see HB2756 but now I'm more informed and recognize the dangers if it's ram-rodded and not properly controlled.

Chas, thank you very much!!!

I mentioned LSCDL because I had become a little skeptical based on how pushing paid membership seems to be a very high priority, tied to this bill.

I need to get back on the horn with a couple of legislators and amend my request/comments/opinion! :txflag:

Obi-Juan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Obi-Juan »

pcgizzmo wrote:So, this bill seems to be moving along. What are the plans to derail or change it up? Do we still think it's not going to make it through?
If you tweet, try @mohawkjohn to find out what you need to know about things.
"So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”