HB 3639 - SB 1581

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 128

Re: HB 3639 - SB 1581

Post by RPB »

Monker10 wrote:It seems several bill were passed with two or more subjects. It doesn't make sense :headscratch

I though you could suspend the two subject rule with a supermajority vote. Did we not have votes?

It just goes to show that sadly emotion and fear mongering trumps logic and evidence :confused5
I didn't hear it go to a vote no motion to suspend the rule... Who's sleeping down there? :headscratch :grumble :mad5
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Paragrouper
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Paragrouper »

RPB wrote:
Monker10 wrote:It seems several bill were passed with two or more subjects. It doesn't make sense :headscratch

I though you could suspend the two subject rule with a supermajority vote. Did we not have votes?

It just goes to show that sadly emotion and fear mongering trumps logic and evidence :confused5
I didn't hear it go to a vote no motion to suspend the rule... Who's sleeping down there? :headscratch :grumble :mad5
Neither did I. Makes you wonder.
DCC
"Beware the fury of of the patient man." ~John Dryden

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

House recessed till tomorrow ... night y'all
I'm no lawyer

Monker10
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Monker10 »

I don't know it all seems fishy to me.

Anyways thanks RPB and everyone else for keeping us up to date on the unfolding drama. :tiphat:

It was sooo close! As long as we keep our elected officials accountable for their actions I am confident we can regain our natural rights even if it's a piece at a time. :patriot:

JJVP
Posts in topic: 4

Post by JJVP »

baldeagle wrote:Am I the only one thinking that Senator Wentworth is stupid? He never should have allowed the campus carry amendment, which passed the Senate, to be removed from SB 5. He should have recognized that germaneness would be challenged on SB 1581 once SB 5 was removed. I'm now thinking that the GOP rhetoric about supporting campus carry is just that - rhetoric. They have no real interest in the issue. They're simply trying to placate us without making any real changes.
:iagree: I saw this one coming the second I heard of the deal he made to remove the amendment from SB5. Campus carry was germane to SB1851 due to SB5. Once SB5 was removed from SB1851 then campus carry was no longer germane. Looks like he is the only one that didn't see it. He is either naive or incompetent.
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 19

Post by baldeagle »

Clearly the Republicans are all hat and no cattle. They need to be replaced as well. And the rules of both the House and the Senate need to be changed so that bills cannot be killed without accountability. Otherwise, we will continue to suffer the loss of our rights.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

2-subject is a constitutional rule, not parliamentary, so no unfortunately. not a 2/3 suspend the rule deal
Just popped in to pass that along,
I'm no lawyer

NEB
Posts in topic: 5

Post by NEB »

Grrr...I had a long scathing email typed out to (supposed) representative Straus, but I closed it down before sending it. I just can't waste any more time on those who claim to be one thing yet show themselves to be something else. I never heard back from the initial communications I sent in the first place. Elitism is one of the biggest problems with our national government, and it saddens me to see it so prevelant in our great state.

The inefficiency and wasted time I've seen this session simply sickens me. Late starts, early ends, unecessary recesses, grand standing pompousness. Half of these yacks need to be voted out. :mad5 :banghead: :bigmouth

apostate

Post by apostate »

I'm a patient man. Perhaps too patient. I made phone call and sent emails. I even drove to Austin (twice) for the committee hearings on campus carry. If we can't get campus carry this session, I can't vote for incumbents in 2012.

iacta alea est

Coogan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Coogan »

Call me an optimist, but I don't think its over yet. The NRA and TSRA have been known to pull a rabbit out of a hat. I think there is more going on behind the scenes.

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

RPB wrote:Wonder if CampusCarry can be re-introduced in Special Session?

also

Wonder who the next Speaker of the House will be?
Not a chance, I suspect. The governor would have to specifically add that as an allowed topic, and it's very unlikely he will do so. He could have done it 2 years ago when campus carry died at the end of the session because of the Democrats stalling the voter ID bill and he didn't.

apostate

Post by apostate »

Coogan wrote:Call me an optimist, but I don't think its over yet. The NRA and TSRA have been known to pull a rabbit out of a hat. I think there is more going on behind the scenes.
I said "if" for precisely that reason. I'm willing to be patient a little while longer. Heck, I'll even give them until my first day of class for the Fall 2011 semester. ;-)

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 56

Post by Jasonw560 »

Coogan wrote:Call me an optimist, but I don't think its over yet. The NRA and TSRA have been known to pull a rabbit out of a hat. I think there is more going on behind the scenes.
:iagree:

(edited to add:) I don't think we should say it's over until we hear it's "officially" over. When Charles says it is, then I'll start gearing up for 2013.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

JJVP wrote:
baldeagle wrote:Am I the only one thinking that Senator Wentworth is stupid? He never should have allowed the campus carry amendment, which passed the Senate, to be removed from SB 5. He should have recognized that germaneness would be challenged on SB 1581 once SB 5 was removed. I'm now thinking that the GOP rhetoric about supporting campus carry is just that - rhetoric. They have no real interest in the issue. They're simply trying to placate us without making any real changes.
:iagree: I saw this one coming the second I heard of the deal he made to remove the amendment from SB5. Campus carry was germane to SB1851 due to SB5. Once SB5 was removed from SB1851 then campus carry was no longer germane. Looks like he is the only one that didn't see it. He is either naive or incompetent.
Sen. Wentworth is neither. The result would have been the same if SB5 have passed with campus-carry. The core germane rule was not the problem; the problem is the House rule against two totally different subject matters in the same bill. Although some portions of campus-carry were germane, it required extensive amendments to the Penal Code as well as amendments to Chp. 411 of the Gov't Code. Folks, when the two Senators went back on their word and didn't support suspending the rules to bring up SB354, then everything thereafter was Plan B, Plan C, . . .

I'm not the least bit happy about the result, but everyone knows the Texas budget is in horrible shape, including spending on education. SB5 is a critical money saving bill in a session where school funding will be slashed. There was no way that Bill was going to be allowed to die for a totally unrelated issue. This all came to be because of the Senate's 2/3 rule allows for minority tyranny.

Chas.

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 14

Post by RHenriksen »

Any feasible way to lose the2/3 rule?
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”