List your highest priority issue for 2011

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

What is your highest priority issue for the 2011 session?

Employer parking lots
53%
Campus-carry
28%
Open-carry
8%
Range protection
6%
Other
6%

Total votes: 231

allencp78
Posts in topic: 1

Re: List your highest priority issue for 2011

Post by allencp78 »

I voted other. My main issue for the 2011 session is Voter ID. What sense does it make to allow people to vote without really knowing if they are who they say they are? It will help to curtail the massive voter fraud that is going on in Harris and other counties. That's why the libs hate it.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RPB »

Personally, I'd like our TPWD to stop stocking "USACE" waters with MY money to improve fishing on THEIR (USACE) lake to bring more tourists income to the USACE.
Put those fish WE paid for and paid to raise in OUR lakes.

(This was a pet peeve of mine, but I resolved to not spend a penny near USACE places. I probably should pull up letters for all the NEW legislators though. ;-)

U.S Army Corps of Engineers figures it's safer for us to get snakebit and torn to shreds by wild boars, and shot at by people cooking in their still (meth labs/pot farms) than if we were able to be armed. My squeal like a pig needs practicing. Paddle faster, I hear banjos...

If we can't get USACE to change their regs, at least I want to stop handing them MY money and dinner (fish)
(And my city could use tourist dollars too ...)
Perhaps if we stopped stocking their lakes and subsidizing them, it would work like passing out 30.06 sign=no $money cards, providing an economic reason to change their regs.
Last edited by RPB on Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

duckhead

Post by duckhead »

Other: cut spending
Be kind to your web footed friends.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I want to better understand your position on property rights, so I have a few questions I would like to ask.
  • 1. Do you make any distinction between commercial and non-commercial property?
    2. Is there any level of government regulation of private property you feel is acceptable? If so, please give examples.
    3. Are you saying you are philosophically against government regulation of property, or are you saying governmental regulations are unconstitutional?
Thanks,
Chas.
Charles L. Cotton wrote:However, I think I get the message; you do not accept any government regulation of any private property, including commercial property. The reason I want to understand your private property rights argument is because it appears to me that 1) there are very few people who oppose the employer parking lot bill on alleged private property rights grounds; and 2) I wanted to know if these opinions are based upon extreme libertarian philosophy. We can deal with legitimate concerns about some details of the bill, but there's nothing we can do to satisfy people who will not accept any regulation of commercial property whatsoever.
Chas., in reaching a compromise between the rights of commercial property owners versus the rights of licensees, it brings to mind the anecdote you shared in class about requiring verbal AND written notice before your fallback 30.06 position. Here is one way to frame it. If a property owner wants to ensure there are no guns or contraband inside cars on their property, they are welcome to forbid cars on their property. But if a business makes the business decision to welcome cars onto their property, then as a consequence they must accept that the cars are an extension of the car owners "castle" -- the business has no property interest on the contents of those vehicles. Their choice.

-Bob
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RPB »

I'm sure it's been said ...

I sure wish "Disorderly Conduct" Sec. 42.01 could be revised(Ideally).... or at LEAST the CHL applicable portion revised to only revoke/deny eligibility for x and x but because of Y

I mean some infractions of that warrant locking a person up, and others should only warrant saying a few "Hail Marys"

To lose a license for some of those offenses or be ineligible for 5 years just seems harsh. ( I recall a "Disorderly Conduct Language" thread earlier in the year here)

I don't curse, but I haven't hit my thumb with a hammer lately either, and I expect some people who otherwise don't ... might..

I recall in the 1970s with the "Jesus Movement" someone did a "one-way Jesus" index finger sign, and another person thought it was another finger .... almost started an attack/fight from the person who didn't see well, due to poor vision ... I'd hate to see rights lost due to such.

Other than that ... Campus Carry
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

causeican

Post by causeican »

I had to go with EPL as I like I'm sure many other CHL's can't carry during the main business week as I can't have the gun in my car at work. I sure hope this one passes along with the campus carry. Way too many nut cases at the schools these days.
2/22/10 Plastic
9/4/12 NRA Life Member
2/16/11 TSRA Life Time (EPL) started.

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”