Open carry with holster requirements

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

SA-TX
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Open carry with holster requirements

Post by SA-TX »

I threw this out as an option a year or two ago. It isn't ideal but I'd support it to get OC passed. When the problems don't materialize we can try to get it removed. That seems to have worked well for CHL.

AEA
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AEA »

anygunanywhere wrote:So, we need reasonable restrictions to exercise a constitutional right? More training? Special hoslters?

Amazing.

Anygunanywhere

I'm with you on this. :tiphat:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

SA-TX

Post by SA-TX »

AEA wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:So, we need reasonable restrictions to exercise a constitutional right? More training? Special hoslters?

Amazing.

Anygunanywhere

I'm with you on this. :tiphat:
If everyone thought it was a constitutional right like we do, this discussion would be moot. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

U.S. Supreme Court:
McDonald is a good start but at the moment its holding is only that keeping a gun in your house can't be infringed by a state. That's a far cry from public open carry.

Texas Judicial branch:
The Texas Supreme Court is on record from the mid-1980's (with former Chief Justice Tom Phillips, R, writing the opinion) as saying that a) the 2A doesn't apply to the states and that b) Texas' restrictions on wearning arms were lawful. Even with McDonald they would only be required to change part (a) since Texas doesn't restrict possession at home (except for felons, perhaps).

Texas Legislative branch:
Even with a very strong pro-2A legislature & a member that agreed to sponsor it in the House, there hasn't yet been ANY open carry bill introduced and there is no guarantee that there will be. Heck, we are fighting tooth and nail just to get campus carry and employer parking lots. Look at all of the other unnecessary restrictions on concealed carry (voting locations, pro and college sporting events, court offices, etc.) never mind OC.

Texas Governor:
Yes .380 packing Governor Perry has been largely apathetic on open carry. On an episode of Tom Gresham's GunTalk radio program last year he said that he prefers concealed carry. Only when Gresham questioned why each Texan shouldn't be able to make that decision did the governor allow that if the legislature wanted to look at open carry that he'd consider it.

Gun carrying Texans:
Yep. Sad but true. Many members of this site aren't in favor of legal OC for one reason or another, as has been pointed out by the polls and lively discussion every time it comes up.

The bottom line is that all of the power brokers don't view the 2A like we do. Thus, if we could get it passed by initially agreeing to do something that any wise OCer will do anyway -- use a holster with some form of retention -- it seems to me like a good deal. As in the past, once the doomsday predictions don't come true the restrictions can be removed with little opposition later. In a perfect world, we'd have constitutional carry. Until then, I'll keep working for incremental changes that move us more in that direction.

SA-TX

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 7

Post by anygunanywhere »

SA-TX wrote: If everyone thought it was a constitutional right like we do, this discussion would be moot. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

U.S. Supreme Court:
McDonald is a good start but at the moment its holding is only that keeping a gun in your house can't be infringed by a state. That's a far cry from public open carry.

Texas Judicial branch:
The Texas Supreme Court is on record from the mid-1980's (with former Chief Justice Tom Phillips, R, writing the opinion) as saying that a) the 2A doesn't apply to the states and that b) Texas' restrictions on wearning arms were lawful. Even with McDonald they would only be required to change part (a) since Texas doesn't restrict possession at home (except for felons, perhaps).

Texas Legislative branch:
Even with a very strong pro-2A legislature & a member that agreed to sponsor it in the House, there hasn't yet been ANY open carry bill introduced and there is no guarantee that there will be. Heck, we are fighting tooth and nail just to get campus carry and employer parking lots. Look at all of the other unnecessary restrictions on concealed carry (voting locations, pro and college sporting events, court offices, etc.) never mind OC.

Texas Governor:
Yes .380 packing Governor Perry has been largely apathetic on open carry. On an episode of Tom Gresham's GunTalk radio program last year he said that he prefers concealed carry. Only when Gresham questioned why each Texan shouldn't be able to make that decision did the governor allow that if the legislature wanted to look at open carry that he'd consider it.

Gun carrying Texans:
Yep. Sad but true. Many members of this site aren't in favor of legal OC for one reason or another, as has been pointed out by the polls and lively discussion every time it comes up.

The bottom line is that all of the power brokers don't view the 2A like we do. Thus, if we could get it passed by initially agreeing to do something that any wise OCer will do anyway -- use a holster with some form of retention -- it seems to me like a good deal. As in the past, once the doomsday predictions don't come true the restrictions can be removed with little opposition later. In a perfect world, we'd have constitutional carry. Until then, I'll keep working for incremental changes that move us more in that direction.

SA-TX
Most might subscribe to the baby step mentality and it may be the way OC eventually becomes legal in Texas, but I am an absolutist and would like to flush all of the "power brokers" down the drain for not following the obvious literal language of the 2A.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

At times where things happen as in Libya, Yemen or Iraq, Concealed or Otherwise, most of you will be clutching an AK, or some other evil rifle. SInce, I cannot see this happening anytime soon, the debate is on.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Marksman1911
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Marksman1911 »

OC retention requirements are a bad idea, even as a concession to get OC passed. Such a requirement could restrict IWB holsters, as an unintended consequence. I would guess that many OC supporters want OC so they can worry less about flashing or take off their jacket on a regular Texas day. Retention requirements would mean you must have an OWB retention holster or continue to worry about flashing and be forced to wear a wind breaker/camera vest on a hot day. Also, good holsters are not cheap, they can be a 10-20% additional cost of a handgun. I don't need or want to buy more holsters. Except maybe something flashy for an OC barbecue :)

So while retention holsters might be a good idea, the requirement of such, is a bad idea.

-Rick
disclaimer: I make my own IWB holsters as a hobby (not rated for barbecues).
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. -- J.R.R. Tolkien

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”