HB 356 The Utah Connection

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Griz44
Posts in topic: 7

Re: HB 356 The Utah Connection

Post by Griz44 »

Another member on this forum sent me a link to a News 8 (DFW) story on the Utah License issue.
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/No-Shoot ... 16119.html

One fact really jumped out at me.

"News 8 found that in the last year-and-a-half, Utah issued nearly 74,000 licenses to residents of other states — 40 percent more than the number issued to its own citizens."

This would mean that Utah only licensed 53,000 of it's own citizens in a year and a half, out of a total of 127,000 licenses issued.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildBill »

Griz44 wrote:"News 8 found that in the last year-and-a-half, Utah issued nearly 74,000 licenses to residents of other states — 40 percent more than the number issued to its own citizens."

This would mean that Utah only licensed 53,000 of it's own citizens in a year and a half, out of a total of 127,000 licenses issued.
I was wondering what the numbers were. That's quite a large number.
NRA Endowment Member

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Skiprr »

Hm. Not that I'm distrusting them, but WFAA "News 8" doesn't cite its source(s) for the information, and that's not something that Utah's BCI normally reports in their CFP statistics. It would be good to know where to find the original data.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildBill »

Skiprr wrote:Hm. Not that I'm distrusting them, but WFAA "News 8" doesn't cite its source(s) for the information, and that's not something that Utah's BCI normally reports in their CFP statistics. It would be good to know where to find the original data.
I would think that even though the Utah BCI doesn't publish this statistic, the Utah Legislators would be privy to that information.

This is an interesting take on the topic of proficiency testing:
"I found it somewhat of a ruse on the part of our sister states," he told the Senate Judiciary, Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Committee. "The real problem was they wanted to be able to license their own citizens."
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7053 ... wners.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

What Wild Bill, Skiprr, and srothstein said. Any law that further restricts the RKBA beyond the status quo is a bad law. The idea is to, as Skippr has suggested, get us to the point where we no longer need CHL law as a defense to prosecution for exercising our constitutional right to keep and bear arms. The only reason we're having to deal with this is thanks to a small number of unscrupulous, morally compromised Utah CFP instructors, but that doesn't describe most CFP instructors. Like the others, I have both my CHL and my CFP. They overlap by approximately a year. I obtained my CFP from a reputable CHL/CFP instructor. Like Wild Bill, I got my CFP for the additional states of reciprocity, and for a backup should there be a delay in renewal of the CHL.

Consider this.... DPS ROUTINELY fails to issue plastic within 60 days of application, and has done so without much political flack for it for over three years now. That is a clear violation of their mandate. So if I initiate my renewal in plenty of time for the state to take care of its business, and they fail to do so, you don't want me to be able to exercise my RKBA under the authority of my CFP until the state does their darn job?

THAT is what your precious bill would do to thousands of qualified CHL holders who are in thrall to the state's inefficiency. How can you defend that?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Ameer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ameer »

Skiprr wrote:Hm. Not that I'm distrusting them, but WFAA "News 8" doesn't cite its source(s) for the information, and that's not something that Utah's BCI normally reports in their CFP statistics. It would be good to know where to find the original data.
Maybe WFAA "News 8" interviewed Bat Boy. That's my theory until I see a reputable/verifiable source.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

WildBill wrote:I would think that even though the Utah BCI doesn't publish this statistic, the Utah Legislators would be privy to that information.
Yep; I agree.

I just took a quick look at the numbers from BCI, and of the 127,000 licenses the "News 8" article said had been issued by Utah, rougly 20,000 were renewals, or about 16%; the total number of new permits was 107,000 over the past 18 months from June 2009 through December 31, 2010. Of interest is that the total number of license holders grew by only 100,660 during the same period, so licenses are expiring and not being renewed at a very rapid rate, as well (to the tune of over 21%).
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Skiprr - where did you find the info? BCI used to post that on the Concealed Handgun page, but since they revamped the website, I could not find it.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

The stats are, unpleasantly, included on a link titled "brady_statistics": http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/brady_statistics.html.

Topic author
Griz44
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Griz44 »

Of interest is that the total number of license holders grew by only 100,660 during the same period, so licenses are expiring and not being renewed at a very rapid rate, as well (to the tune of over 21%).
Interesting information. Do you think that is because so many other states have now enacted the home state license rule? And those folks that had an out of state license see no reason to renew it? What is the renewal rate in Texas? Are out of state residence Texas license holders keeping up renewals or letting them go? How many do not renew? I have a few in my classes that had a CHL early in the program, but let it lapse for a few years and finally re-took the course.

aardwolf
Posts in topic: 1

Post by aardwolf »

Griz44 wrote:
Of interest is that the total number of license holders grew by only 100,660 during the same period, so licenses are expiring and not being renewed at a very rapid rate, as well (to the tune of over 21%).
Interesting information. Do you think that is because so many other states have now enacted the home state license rule? And those folks that had an out of state license see no reason to renew it? What is the renewal rate in Texas? Are out of state residence Texas license holders keeping up renewals or letting them go? How many do not renew? I have a few in my classes that had a CHL early in the program, but let it lapse for a few years and finally re-took the course.
It would be interesting to see a similar analysis for Texas. As you say, there are people who don't renew. Maybe MPA is a factor. Maybe people weren't carrying (or were prohibited from carrying at work) and decided it wasn't worth the money, especially with the higher prices in Texas.
We're here. With gear. Get used to it.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

aardwolf wrote: It would be interesting to see a similar analysis for Texas. As you say, there are people who don't renew. Maybe MPA is a factor. Maybe people weren't carrying (or were prohibited from carrying at work) and decided it wasn't worth the money, especially with the higher prices in Texas.
I believe renewal rates would be quite high for the Texas CHL. It is so much easier than it used to be, and it is cheaper than the initial license. I am one CHL holder that actually enjoys the renewall proccess.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”