HB Parking Lot Bill and It's Relation to Campus Carry ?

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Piney
Posts in topic: 1

HB Parking Lot Bill and It's Relation to Campus Carry ?

Post by Piney »

As an employee of a State Higher Education Institution, when the parking lot bill passes and should the campus carry bill not-- how would that effect my ability to store my concealed firearm in my vehicle in a institution-owned employee only parking garage ?

TexasTony

Re: HB Parking Lot Bill and It's Relation to Campus Carry ?

Post by TexasTony »

As I read the current penal code it seems like storing in your vehicle is OK in institutions of Higher Education. You just can't take into building ("premise").

The following is verbage from the new proposed bill.
Section 52.061 does not:
(2) apply to:
(A) a vehicle owned or leased by a public or private employer and used by an employee in the course and scope of the employee's employment, unless the employee is required to transport or store a firearm in the official discharge of the employee's duties;
(B) a school district;
(C) an open-enrollment charter school, as defined by Section 5.001, Education Code;
(D) a private school, as defined by Section 22.081, Education Code; or
(E) property owned or controlled by a person, other than the employer, that is subject to a valid, unexpired oil, gas, or other mineral lease executed before September 1, 2011, that contains a provision prohibiting the possession of firearms on the property.

It doesn't look like exemption applies to Higher Ed institutions. I could be reading it wrong.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

The way I read the text, if HB 681 or SB 321 pass, unless they can be defined as a school district, then it would not apply to a state funded university. However, I am not a lawyer, so my interpretation may not be valid.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jmra

Post by jmra »

TexasTony wrote:As I read the current penal code it seems like storing in your vehicle is OK in institutions of Higher Education. You just can't take into building ("premise").

The following is verbage from the new proposed bill.
Section 52.061 does not:
(2) apply to:
(A) a vehicle owned or leased by a public or private employer and used by an employee in the course and scope of the employee's employment, unless the employee is required to transport or store a firearm in the official discharge of the employee's duties;
(B) a school district;
(C) an open-enrollment charter school, as defined by Section 5.001, Education Code;
(D) a private school, as defined by Section 22.081, Education Code; or
(E) property owned or controlled by a person, other than the employer, that is subject to a valid, unexpired oil, gas, or other mineral lease executed before September 1, 2011, that contains a provision prohibiting the possession of firearms on the property.
It doesn't look like exemption applies to Higher Ed institutions. I could be reading it wrong.
Well, as a JH teacher I might as well paint a bulls eye on my back.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Keith B wrote:The way I read the text, if HB 681 or SB 321 pass, unless they can be defined as a school district, then it would not apply to a state funded university. However, I am not a lawyer, so my interpretation may not be valid.
But the caution here might be that some community colleges can be defined as school districts. For example, San Antonio College is operated by teh Alamo Community College District. Is a college a school?
Steve Rothstein

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”