Action Needed: Employer parking lots

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

OldSchool
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Action Needed: Employer parking lots

Post by OldSchool »

GEM-Texas wrote:What does private school mean - DeVry, ITT, private colleges across the state?
For that matter, does "school district" mean all employees throughout the district? Seems vague enough to be disastrous for college teachers, et al.
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!
NRA Life Member - TSRA - PSC
NRA Certified Basic Rifle Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer

12/23/2009: Packets delivered.
01/15/2010: Plastic in hand!

Keith B
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Keith B »

OldSchool wrote:
GEM-Texas wrote:What does private school mean - DeVry, ITT, private colleges across the state?
For that matter, does "school district" mean all employees throughout the district? Seems vague enough to be disastrous for college teachers, et al.
Per the bill, private school is defined in the Texas Education Code § 22.081.
§ 22.081. DEFINITION. In this subchapter, "private
school" means a school that:
(1) offers a course of instruction for students in one
or more grades from prekindergarten through grade 12; and
(2) is not operated by a governmental entity.

Added by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 260, § 1, eff. May 30, 1995.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

GEM-Texas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by GEM-Texas »

Thanks for the clarification.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Neither Baylor nor Rice are private schools ?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

artx

Post by artx »

The text of committee substitute HB681 is finally available now - they added a section about chemical plants Sec. 52.062. subsection F

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/82 ... 00681H.htm

How does this work with the fact the senate has already approved the companion without this section? Will they try to remove subsection F on the house floor? Or if the house is adamant about it, we have to get it back through the senate with the subsection F added?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Liberty wrote:Neither Baylor nor Rice are private schools ?
Not in regards to the way the bill is written. The bill will only apply for schools per the sections of the Texas Education Code listed.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

CWOOD

Post by CWOOD »

artx wrote:The text of committee substitute HB681 is finally available now - they added a section about chemical plants Sec. 52.062. subsection F

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/82 ... 00681H.htm

How does this work with the fact the senate has already approved the companion without this section? Will they try to remove subsection F on the house floor? Or if the house is adamant about it, we have to get it back through the senate with the subsection F added?
I started a separate thread with the added section, for folks who may want to comment on the changes rather than have to look up the original bill and compare it to the one linked here. Not everyone one is a political junkie like some of us so they may not want to wade through the legislature's site.

rcain007

Post by rcain007 »

I apologize in advance, but reading this confuses me. I work in a chemical plant, and have a CHL, so can I carry my gun in my vehicle while at work or not?
"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
- Clint Eastwood

Currently Own:
Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry .45
Springfield XD .45 4"
S&W Airweight .38 Snubbie
Mossberg 500 12 guage
DPMS AR-15

Proud NRA Member, and CHL Holder

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

rcain007 wrote:I apologize in advance, but reading this confuses me. I work in a chemical plant, and have a CHL, so can I carry my gun in my vehicle while at work or not?
I am not a lawyer, but the way I interpret the amendment is that you would be able to park outside the secured area and keep it in your car. Those without a CHL would not be protected by the law.
Keith

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

It sounds like there are two bills, substantially the same, one coming from the house and one from the senate (B681 & SB321). Do these two then go into some reconcilliation process? Just curious about the process.

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

deleted
Last edited by cbr600 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

artx

Post by artx »

cbr600 wrote:
jerry_r60 wrote:It sounds like there are two bills, substantially the same, one coming from the house and one from the senate (B681 & SB321). Do these two then go into some reconcilliation process? Just curious about the process.
That's something I'd like to know too. Does each bill have to run the gauntlet of both chambers, or do parallel HB/SB speed up the process?

I looked here and here and here but I'm still confused. :headscratch
I found this from one of your links:
COMPANION BILL—A bill filed in one chamber that is identical or very similar to a bill filed in the opposite chamber. Companion bills are used to expedite passage as they provide a means for committee consideration of a measure to occur in both houses simultaneously. A companion bill that has passed one house then can be substituted for the companion bill in the second house.
Maybe they can substitute SB321 for HB681 when HB681 goes to the House floor? Then if there are any amendments, they can do the committee process?

I would be interested to learn who specifically makes the request to do the substitution.

stompme

Post by stompme »

I work in a high security facility, and I do not give a damn about the policy of the company that I work for. Find a good holster. I will carry where I choose, except in a bar, and If I decide to drink. Planning, plan, plan, plan....

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

artx wrote:Maybe they can substitute SB321 for HB681 when HB681 goes to the House floor? Then if there are any amendments, they can do the committee process?

I would be interested to learn who specifically makes the request to do the substitution.
Both bills are available to go to the floor and should be. However, I believe if Calendars passes SB 321 to the floor with no further changes, and it is voted on and passed by the House with no amendments, then HB 681 will not be required to go out and can die in committee.
Keith

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Keith B wrote:
rcain007 wrote:I apologize in advance, but reading this confuses me. I work in a chemical plant, and have a CHL, so can I carry my gun in my vehicle while at work or not?
I am not a lawyer, but the way I interpret the amendment is that you would be able to park outside the secured area and keep it in your car. Those without a CHL would not be protected by the law.
Unless his company doesn't prohibit keeping his gun in the car, right? Or is the chemical plant thing law?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”