HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 12

Re: HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

Post by hirundo82 »

PhillRoath wrote:
hirundo82 wrote:There's no research that shows that open carry deters crime that I am aware of. For that matter, there's no research that shows concealed carry deters crime either.
Look for the book "More Guns Less Crime" by John Lott (1998?) where he shows crime has decreased where concealed carry is allowed.

Phill
I probably should have said that the research is inconclusive on whether concealed carry prevents crime. The most complete analysis I'm aware of is the CDC analysis concluding that there is insufficeint evidence to conclude that any gun laws have an effect on crime rates, either positively or negatively.
Last edited by hirundo82 on Thu May 19, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 12

Post by hirundo82 »

Hoi Polloi wrote:
Skiprr wrote:
Hoi Polloi wrote:
GEM-Texas wrote:One can use Google scholar...
What is this? Tell me more!
http://scholar.google.com/

Or, specifically, you can start with this.

It's really much the same as books.google.com, save that it indexes specific types of repositories and includes some court opinions, patents, theses, and the like.
My life just got so much neater!
Yeah, Google Scholar is great. I'm a graduate student and I frequently find that it's easier to find what I'm looking for through Google than through PubMed.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

JKTex
Posts in topic: 24

Post by JKTex »

Google Scholar?? Holy smokes, I have officially just stepped up my level of "extertness" on everything, beyond the world as we know it. :thewave

para driver
Posts in topic: 6

Post by para driver »

Hey,
Let's get back on topic, shall we????

If CHL is good, why then is Open any better? Before you say it's too hot to carry in the summer,
I do it ALL the time with a little 38 lightweight in my baggy pocket. Just sometimes, I have my hand
ON the weapon if I feel uncomfortable, and nobody knows any the better. I dare say that if someone were
to open carry, and place their hand on the weapon, that would could possible escalate the situation.

And for those who say that 5 rounds isn't enough, Bianci makes little speed strips that are very concealable.
I guess if 15 rounds isn't enough, you could always get one of the 4 magazine carriers that Galco makes for their
shoulder rigs? That would give the Glock 9mm crowd 85 rounds!

jordanmills
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jordanmills »

para driver wrote:Hey,

If CHL is good, why then is Open any better? Before you say it's too hot to carry in the summer,
I do it ALL the time with a little 38 lightweight in my baggy pocket. Just sometimes, I have my hand
ON the weapon if I feel uncomfortable, and nobody knows any the better. I dare say that if someone were
to open carry, and place their hand on the weapon, that would could possible escalate the situation.

And for those who say that 5 rounds isn't enough, Bianci makes little speed strips that are very concealable.
I guess if 15 rounds isn't enough, you could always get one of the 4 magazine carriers that Galco makes for their
shoulder rigs? That would give the Glock 9mm crowd 85 rounds!
My Glock 19 doesn't fit in my pocket. And I guarantee I can load my glock faster than you can load your revolver. Why do you think that what works for you will work for everyone else?

JKTex
Posts in topic: 24

Post by JKTex »

The issue of open vs concealed preference always gets dragged into the issue of legislation and it has nothing to do with it. The effort to pas legislation to decriminalize open carry is not about which is more comfortable or which give 1 person a tactical advantage or another some other reason of personal preference.

It's easy for us to loose sight of the bigger picture.

Maybe it would be best to start a new thread for the discussion of preference so this one about the legislation can play itself out (if there's even anything left to play out :) )

As an aside, I got a letter from Tan Parker yesterday (odd by nice getting an actual letter in an envelope) that expressed his complete and full support for 2A legislation including this bill. I wasn't sure where he stood so I'm happy. May have to offer to treat him to lunch at the Square One Cafe' whenever he gets back to his local office. :txflag:

para driver

Post by para driver »

jordanmills wrote: My Glock 19 doesn't fit in my pocket. And I guarantee I can load my glock faster than you can load your revolver. Why do you think that what works for you will work for everyone else?
I don't imagine one size fits all.. just saying that there are ways to solve the summer problem and remain concealed..
the 5 shots vs. 85 shots discussion should be held in another thread.

b322da
Posts in topic: 4

Post by b322da »

para driver wrote:Hey,
Awww -- just as we were having fun. :leaving

Elmo

PATHFINDER
Posts in topic: 5

Post by PATHFINDER »

I'm a bit intrigued when I read requests for "research" citations that open carry deters crime.

I can cite some personal "research" from my own experiences "open carrying" in Colorado, AND TEXAS for that matter. When you are openly carrying a holstered handgun it is VISIBLE - right ? OK .

Therefore ......I am what you may call notoriously armed with a handgun. YOU on the contrary are HIDING your handgun under your clothing ! Does the "crack-head" in need of a "high" have X-Ray vision ? Even with 20/40 vision "cracker" can deduce that I AM ARMED. YOU are concealed carrying . Now follow me closely here- if the two of us are the ONLY prospects in sight for "income" to finance "cracker's" next "high" - who is the cracker going to target??? I know, it really get confusing sometimes doesn't it ?

tacticool
Posts in topic: 3

Post by tacticool »

Does open carry by security guards count?
When in doubt
Vote them out!

MadMonkey
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MadMonkey »

I would think that the opportunities for OC to be a deterrent would be outweighed by the chance of being "targeted first". Not every bad guy is going to be carrying a gun, and unless you're in DEEP condition white you should be able to catch on to someone looking to disarm you.

Plus, unless you're dressed down, you could easily be mistaken for law enforcement or something along those lines which would also act as a deterrent.

I dunno if I would OC much, but I would definitely like the choice.

By the way, what's the latest on this bill? Dead or...?
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

para driver

Post by para driver »

PATHFINDER wrote:" - who is the cracker going to target???
that's a good question, and I can answer it, as I work in one of 'those' neighborhoods frequently..
they target other druggies for the most part... otherwise I'm just the freindly, non-threatening, computer
guy who drives a 15+ year old truck(who has a loaded 38 in his pocket).. IF I open carried in this area, it would SURELY draw much more attention than I want...

johnferg69
Posts in topic: 21

Post by johnferg69 »

para driver wrote:
that's a good question, and I can answer it, as I work in one of 'those' neighborhoods frequently..
they target other druggies for the most part... otherwise I'm just the freindly, non-threatening, computer
guy who drives a 15+ year old truck(who has a loaded 38 in his pocket).. IF I open carried in this area, it would SURELY draw much more attention than I want...
In my younger days I used to work for the cable company in Dallas. Amazing how many apt complexes in Oak Cliff I went into I'd hear the little kids yelling "Da poleece man, Da poleece man". A white guy with a mullett, goatie, blue jeans and a red n white pinstripe workshirt was threatening enough.

Bullwhip

Post by Bullwhip »

para driver wrote:
Who said you have to OC? OC bill is for choice, carry how you feel comfortble.

OCD
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OCD »

tacticool wrote:Does open carry by security guards count?
No. Police don't either because that logic goes against their emotion-driven opposition to open carry.

Psychologically speaking, it has a lot in common with the emotion-driven opposition to campus carry.
Open Carry Dog

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”