Win for campus carry!

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Win for campus carry!

Post by hirundo82 »

Russell wrote:Why the section about hospitals? Is this giving us the ability to carry on campus, but not into a teaching hospital (for some odd reason?)
Doctors with guns must scare them for some reason. I wish they'd at least require them to post §30.06 signs to make the hospitals off limits.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

CJD

Post by CJD »

Russell wrote:

Why the section about hospitals? Is this giving us the ability to carry on campus, but not into a teaching hospital (for some odd reason?)
Yes. It probably wouldn't have passed without this section, as I understand it.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Russell wrote:
CJD wrote:
Russell wrote:

Why the section about hospitals? Is this giving us the ability to carry on campus, but not into a teaching hospital (for some odd reason?)

Any idea who is stuck on the thought that a teaching hospital is some magic weapons free place?
hospitals have drugs in them
guns added to drugs makes the gun itself more evil
good law-abiding citizens might "lose it" all of a sudden after never even trying drugs in the 1960s/70s and become drug addicts instantly and become robbers if they had a gun in a hospital.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

CJD

Post by CJD »

RPB wrote:
Russell wrote:
CJD wrote:
Russell wrote:

Any idea who is stuck on the thought that a teaching hospital is some magic weapons free place?
hospitals have drugs in them
guns added to drugs makes the gun itself more evil
good law-abiding citizens might "lose it" all of a sudden after never even trying drugs in the 1960s/70s and become drug addicts instantly and accident become robbers if they had a gun in a hospital.
Yep. But since they are off-limits due to the law, there's no way someone who is ACTUALLY addicted would decide to ILLEGALLY rob the hospital, because that would be...well...illegal "rlol" Everyone knows you can't physically go past a 30.06 sign illegally, so there's no need for law-abiding citizens in the hospital to be able to defend themselves against drugged-up maniacs.

NEB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by NEB »

Edit: found the hospitals definitions as sited....
(7) "Hospital" includes a general hospital and a special hospital.
(5) "General hospital" means an establishment that:

(A) offers services, facilities, and beds for use for more than 24 hours for two or more unrelated individuals requiring diagnosis, treatment, or care for illness, injury, deformity, abnormality, or pregnancy; and

(B) regularly maintains, at a minimum, clinical laboratory services, diagnostic X-ray services, treatment facilities including surgery or obstetrical care or both, and other definitive medical or surgical treatment of similar extent.
(15) "Special hospital" means an establishment that:

(A) offers services, facilities, and beds for use for more than 24 hours for two or more unrelated individuals who are regularly admitted, treated, and discharged and who require services more intensive than room, board, personal services, and general nursing care;

(B) has clinical laboratory facilities, diagnostic X-ray facilities, treatment facilities, or other definitive medical treatment;

(C) has a medical staff in regular attendance; and

(D) maintains records of the clinical work performed for each patient.

So, as I'm faculty at a Health Sciences Center of a puplic university, and I wonder if this would allow me to carry at work if it gets through the House. The HSC I am employed with is actually partnered with an independently run hosptial, so that's not an issue (the hospital is 30.06 posted anyway), but there are clinics where med students see patients located in various parts of the HSC building. However, since the clinics do not have beds in which patients stay more than 24 hours, it is not a "hospital", correct?

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”