UPDATE: Video Conference:

Education & Advocacy. Join today, it's free!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 14

Re: UPDATE: Video Conference:

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

TexasCajun wrote:Dang! Missed the first one, but I'll definitely be on board for the next one. Will there be a podcast or some other recorded version of last night's conference available?
I didn't record this first one; it was as much a test of the service/software and it was a discussion. I need to learn now to change the "spotlight" without muting everyone's audio and there are a few other things I want to tweak for the regular monthly conferences. If possible, I want to have a "producer" to handle those duties so I can focus solely on the discussion. It's quite likely that I'll broadcast the Texas Self-Defense & Deadly Force Laws Seminar that I'm doing at PSC in January. Obviously, this presumes that the bandwidth testing at the Club proves we can support video conferencing. Since the stream is going through Zoom.us' server, we don't have to be able to support that load, but we do need sufficient bandwidth to send and receive video and audio without interruption.

Thanks to everyone who participated and helped with the testing.
Chas.

Amonix
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Amonix »

I wonder if there is a way we can repeat with another server. If so I have a server with a good connection and some bandwidth to kill I can donate in the future.
Amonix
CompTIA A+ Certified Professionaln
CIW Certified Web Foundations Associate
[Changing the world one byte at a time]

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Beiruty »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:Dang! Missed the first one, but I'll definitely be on board for the next one. Will there be a podcast or some other recorded version of last night's conference available?
I didn't record this first one; it was as much a test of the service/software and it was a discussion. I need to learn now to change the "spotlight" without muting everyone's audio and there are a few other things I want to tweak for the regular monthly conferences. If possible, I want to have a "producer" to handle those duties so I can focus solely on the discussion. It's quite likely that I'll broadcast the Texas Self-Defense & Deadly Force Laws Seminar that I'm doing at PSC in January. Obviously, this presumes that the bandwidth testing at the Club proves we can support video conferencing. Since the stream is going through Zoom.us' server, we don't have to be able to support that load, but we do need sufficient bandwidth to send and receive video and audio without interruption.

Chas.
I contacted zoom.us for the spotlight issue and they recommended to get their latest software version. I assume that the quality of the group microphone and the background noise at each meeting site would dictate the quality of this feature.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Beiruty wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
I contacted zoom.us for the spotlight issue and they recommended to get their latest software version. I assume that the quality of the group microphone and the background noise at each meeting site would dictate the quality of this feature.
Thanks for checking it out. I've installed the update and I'll test it later this week.

Thanks again,
Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

I tested the wireless Internet connection at PSC and it's not remotely fast enough for me to offer a video conference of the upcoming Texas Self-Defense & Deadly Force Laws Seminar. In fact, it's the slowest I've seen since dial-up days. Oh well, . . .

Chas.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I tested the wireless Internet connection at PSC and it's not remotely fast enough for me to offer a video conference of the upcoming Texas Self-Defense & Deadly Force Laws Seminar. In fact, it's the slowest I've seen since dial-up days. Oh well, . . .

Chas.
if there's a wired port in the same room as the seminar its pretty simple to add a wifi spot to the wired port. Then its only a question of whether the location has sufficient upload speed to their service provider.

I have a portable wifi unit I use in hotel rooms when traveling. I'd offer to loan if to you but I think you can buy one for less than the cost of postage. IIRC I paid $12 for mine. Or someone locally is sure to have a spare wifi router they can loan you.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Amonix
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Amonix »

Problem you run into with wifi is still the ISP speed itself. If they don't have the speed on wifi now adding an additional wifi won't help unless it is a signal strength issue. That would change things.
Amonix
CompTIA A+ Certified Professionaln
CIW Certified Web Foundations Associate
[Changing the world one byte at a time]

Return to “Texas Firearms Coalition”