....deal completed.....

Items listed for over one month, or that were sold are listed here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

pdouglas
Posts in topic: 3

why did you go tactical?

Post by pdouglas »

Cyphur,

I've got a few questions, why did you get the tactical over the other ones?

I know you were looking at an Ultra Carry, what did / do you think about the eclipse / tactical & CDP?

I'm having a very hard time figuring out which one I'm going to buy.

I really like the Ultra with night sights & laser grip. I have found that for about $950, which seems to be a great price. +25 shipping + 15-20 FFL but it will be new. Also quoted the Eclipse or the Tactical for $900 + tax, this is a great price too.

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me.

Anyone else have any thoughts about the different Kimber's? I have decided I'm going to get an Ultra to start. My CHL should be here any time - I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice.

I know the ammo isn't cheap, but I'm not too worried about a couple hundred dollars for ammo and other accessories - I just want to get the right gun at a reasonable price. I think I would like to break it in myself anyway so I have a lot of practice with it, as I'm getting it to be my primary carry weapon, my beretta mini-cougar will be my secondary.

Thanks,
Patrick

MrDrummy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MrDrummy »

I'm loving my Stainless Ultra Carry.

Since this was going to be my carry gun, I didn't want a cheapo. I shopped my way up from Kel-Tecs, through the Kahrs, and finally ended up at a couple of different weapons-- the Kimber being one of them.

I held and fired the Ultra CDP, but didn't like the feel of the front strap checkering, or the look of the black frame (yeah, yeah, looks matter to me.) I also had decided that I wanted to use XS 24/7 Big Dot night sights with my Ultra, so there was really no reason to buy a gun with night sights already on it. (The sights are HIGHLY recommended, by the way.) http://www.xssights.com

The Eclipse finish was a little strange looking, and I had heard of some wear problems with it. Blued weapons show holster wear after awhile, and typically look more beat up to me, and seem to rust a bit quicker if you *forget* :oops: to oil them up every few days. That's why I didn't go with the basic Ultra Carry.

When it came down to it, I wanted a small, easily concealable gun that packed a punch, and was a little forgiveable if I didn't take perfect care of it, and since it is my first carry gun, I'm pleased with it so far. (I do take pretty much perfect care of it though ;-)

If you have any other questions, let me know, and I'll shoot what little information I can at you!

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jbirds1210 »

"I also had decided that I wanted to use XS 24/7 Big Dot night sights with my Ultra, so there was really no reason to buy a gun with night sights already on it. (The sights are HIGHLY recommended, by the way.) http://www.xssights.com"

+1 I love those sights......they are wonderful!
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Topic author
cyphur
Posts in topic: 8

Post by cyphur »

Patrick, I first looked at the Ultra Carry II as it was the cheaper of all the options, and I went to the gun shows looking for some deals - as well as checking out bg.com and ga.com. However, due to an issue at the gunshow, I came home empty handed. If that issue hadn't arisen, I'd own an Eclipse Ultra right now.

I had shot a UCII so I know I liked how it shot, I knew the recoil was managable(a 3" 45acp is going to kick a little), and I was accurate and comfortable with it. Thats what I thought mattered most in a self defense weapon.

Well, in my searches, I came across a Tactical Ultra II for a good deal. The Tactical series tend to run 950+, even when slightly used, I got this one with about 2 or 3 mags run through it, and a Wilson Combat 47D mag for $845 shipped. The gun is in immaculate condition, no visible fouling, and it has the night sights.

Reasons to get the Tactical?

I like the magwell, makes loading a mag on the fly VERY easy - even after only one afternoon of shooting I can drop the mag and load another in under two seconds. The magwell also means it has a metal MSH - IIRC - which to me feels nicer than plastic.

It has the night sights standard, it also has very fine checkering on the front grip and under the trigger guard - it didn't irritate my hands at all even after 300 rounds.

It has the premium trigger, which is short and crisp. No complaints there at all. It also has the ambi safety, so if I ever find myself having to shoot left handed, I can still unsafe the weapon w/o finaegeling it.

The slide has a "matte black oxide" finish, and the frame is anodized gray. I think that the finish will hold up over time.

Finally, it has an aluminum frame and a ramped barrel. While that precludes the use of some follower types, it also makes for a very light gun. I can stick it in between my pants and my bare skin and it doesn't fall. I had to do this when I was handling it and someone came to do the door the other day - didn't want to answer it with it in my hand or on the counter.

I am positive carrying it will be no problem - we'll see in 3 or 4 weeks - I ordered a Tucker Answer and one of their bullhide gunbelts day before yesterday.

Sorry for the dissertation, but I know how hard I researched guns before such a large outlay of cash - so I thought I would share some of my thoughts. If you have any more questions feel free to post up or send me a PM.

- Travis

ETA: Check out my first impressions thread of the gun, here.

pdouglas
Posts in topic: 3

thanks

Post by pdouglas »

Thank you to all that have posted comments and suggestions. I can't wait until I get my Kimber. I still have not decided which one I'm going to get yet. I've been waiting for my CHL to get here so I can carry for a week or two before I pick my new Kimber, I don't know why, I just told myself I would wait a couple weeks before I spent the money on a new one.

After reading everyone's comments, I'm sure I will love it and look forward to taking it to the range. I've gone to a couple of stores in my area, but they are priced 200 - 400 higher than the prices I have been quoted online so I think I'll buy online and have it shipped in.

I'll tell you as soon as I get it, probably as soon as I order it, unless I can get Carters Country to match a price. Has anyone had any luck getting a company to match prices?

Thank you all again! I appreciate it.

Patrick

Return to “Closed Items”