WTB cheap 1911

Items listed for over one month, or that were sold are listed here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Texican_gal
Posts in topic: 2

"lock" on the Taurus PT1911

Post by Texican_gal »

Howdy ...

Does the Taurus PT1911 have an "ignition key" gun lock on it? The website says all Taurus pistols and revolvers have this ....

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike1951 »

Texican_gal wrote:Does the Taurus PT1911 have an "ignition key" gun lock on it?
Yes, it does. Although I would rather it didn't, I do not consider this reason not to buy one. I simply unlocked it and stored the key in the factory box. It also contains a Series 80 type safety, although it does not appear to negatively affect the trigger.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Texican_gal
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Texican_gal »

Mike1951 wrote:
Texican_gal wrote:Does the Taurus PT1911 have an "ignition key" gun lock on it?
Yes, it does. Although I would rather it didn't, I do not consider this reason not to buy one. I simply unlocked it and stored the key in the factory box. It also contains a Series 80 type safety, although it does not appear to negatively affect the trigger.
Do we understand the mechanics of this "key"? I know I've read of S&W revolvers with the key locking up (rare, but it happens). Is this one safe to ignore, or should a person disable some part of it?

Diode
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Diode »

In the persuit of a cheap 1911-a1 I have been looking for a compact version of the Rock Island Arms / Armscor and so far very little out there. If any of you guys come across one please let me know!

Thane

Post by Thane »

Diode - Sarco, IIRC, has some of the officers-size Rock Island .45s.

KBCraig - I'm not sure I'd trust a Charles Daly. I've handled one of their Hi Powers, and was rather impressed, but not in a good way. Crushed and deformed roll pins, extractor ill-fitted with spring sticking out(!), and general roughness all around. I've also not heard good things about their customer service. For 500-600 dollars, I'd rather get a base Springfield or a decent Taurus. Or two Rock Island pistols, which, while rather basic, are decently well-made and priced low enough that you can justify a bit of WECSOG dremelling here and there, if necessary.

Just my $0.02

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

I have a Colt 1911 blued that is 90% condition I could let go for $450. IM me if you want to know more.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

racer32

Post by racer32 »

I have a compact Charles Daly that I confiscated from my wife after she bought a Kimber. As long as it's clean and well-lubed it runs reasonably well. Over the course of the 2-3 years we've had it it's been less than 100% reliable. However, I think that issue is due to a damaged recoil spring. It's got a bull barrel, and doesn't use standard 1911 bushing and springs, so I haven't been able to find the parts "off the shelf" to try new springs.

Diode

Post by Diode »

Greg , PM sent.

jim

gregthehand wrote:I have a Colt 1911 blued that is 90% condition I could let go for $450. IM me if you want to know more.

Diode

Post by Diode »

Thane wrote:Diode - Sarco, IIRC, has some of the officers-size Rock Island .45s.

KBCraig - I'm not sure I'd trust a Charles Daly. I've handled one of their Hi Powers, and was rather impressed, but not in a good way. Crushed and deformed roll pins, extractor ill-fitted with spring sticking out(!), and general roughness all around. I've also not heard good things about their customer service. For 500-600 dollars, I'd rather get a base Springfield or a decent Taurus. Or two Rock Island pistols, which, while rather basic, are decently well-made and priced low enough that you can justify a bit of WECSOG dremelling here and there, if necessary.

Just my $0.02
Sadly Sarco is out of stock as well. :sad: Still looking for a Officer Size 1911 to tinker with. Cheap....

Diode

Post by Diode »

racer32 wrote:I have a compact Charles Daly that I confiscated from my wife after she bought a Kimber. As long as it's clean and well-lubed it runs reasonably well. Over the course of the 2-3 years we've had it it's been less than 100% reliable. However, I think that issue is due to a damaged recoil spring. It's got a bull barrel, and doesn't use standard 1911 bushing and springs, so I haven't been able to find the parts "off the shelf" to try new springs.
Well if you decide to part with it let me know. I want one to work on and yours sounds like it needs a tinkerer. :grin:

Jeremae
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jeremae »

Diode wrote:
Jeremae wrote:I have been extremely happy with my $320 Firestorm Government model 45... In fact if you see one somewhere NIB please tell me as they don't seem to make them anymore.
Firestar or Firestorm? Firestorm is made by Bersa in Brazil I have a .380 but didnt know they made a .45 I also used ot have a Firestar 9mm and they did make a .45 but went out of business, it was a company in Spain.
It is Firestorm, the same company as the Bersa. My understanding was the parts were manufactured in spain and the guns assembled here. The Firestorm website USED to list it plus had a page that showed what parts were interchangable with standard GI (basically everything but grips and frame)
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

Diode

Post by Diode »

Jeremae wrote:
Diode wrote:
Jeremae wrote:I have been extremely happy with my $320 Firestorm Government model 45... In fact if you see one somewhere NIB please tell me as they don't seem to make them anymore.
Firestar or Firestorm? Firestorm is made by Bersa in Brazil I have a .380 but didnt know they made a .45 I also used ot have a Firestar 9mm and they did make a .45 but went out of business, it was a company in Spain.
It is Firestorm, the same company as the Bersa. My understanding was the parts were manufactured in spain and the guns assembled here. The Firestorm website USED to list it plus had a page that showed what parts were interchangable with standard GI (basically everything but grips and frame)
That's too cool. I have never seen one.

Roger Howard

Re: Taurus

Post by Roger Howard »

Rex B wrote:I've heard nothing but good about the Taurus. I wasn't really wanting to spend $500 on it, but I'll sleep on that.

My other alternative is to just build one from parts. May do that regardless.
I know you can get a NEW springfield 1911 A1 for around $525. I know it's a little above what you want to spend but the quality you get will be worth it.
If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Diode

Post by Diode »

Well I'll get you guys a range report soon, I ordered a Armscor .45 Compact
I'll know first hand it a Rock Island Arms pistol is worth the $340.00

:grin:

Jeremae
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jeremae »

Diode

I shoot IDPA at Thunder as often as I can... will be there tonight and probably Sat.

Looks like any other 1911 with beavertail grip safety, lowered ejection port, and external extractor
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

Return to “Closed Items”